Weighting lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
fishder
Perch
Perch

Re: Weighting lures

Post by fishder »

I wasted alot off time trying to get burts to swim right i think its over compilated by some people some waters they work well other places pike will ignore them .
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fishder wrote: Sat Dec 16 2023 10:31 -
I wasted alot off time trying to get burts to swim right i think its over compilated by some people some waters they work well other places pike will ignore them .
The only waters where pike ignore Burts are waters with no pike in them!
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

davelumb wrote: Sat Dec 16 2023 10:58 -
fishder wrote: Sat Dec 16 2023 10:31 -
The only waters where pike ignore Burts are waters with no pike in them!
True story that :grin:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

I’ve just got a weighted burt which doesn’t work very deep. Ive ordered some lead strip off eBay and will have a play about with weighting. It’s stated at 35g and comes in varying thicknesses. Not sure if its any good but may be ideal for someone: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185884735878

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Jack H wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 14:02 -
I’ve just got a weighted burt which doesn’t work very deep. Ive ordered some lead strip off eBay and will have a play about with weighting. It’s stated at 35g and comes in varying thicknesses. Not sure if its any good but may be ideal for someone: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185884735878

Jack
Burts are so random. I've tested a few in my pond recently, prior to re-painting, and most slowly sank (vertically) straight out of the packet and needed drilling to remove one of the lead balls and re-ballasting so they'd sit and work properly. It's incredible how a mass produced plastic lure can be so inconsistent! I've owned about 30 of them over the years and just one required no tinkering at all.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jan 05 2024 20:43 -

Jack
Burts are so random. I've tested a few in my pond recently, prior to re-painting, and most slowly sank (vertically) straight out of the packet and needed drilling to remove one of the lead balls and re-ballasting so they'd sit and work properly. It's incredible how a mass produced plastic lure can be so inconsistent! I've owned about 30 of them over the years and just one required no tinkering at all.
I’ve only bought one burt, as I’ve been put off in the past hearing about people having to mess about with them to get them to any kind of depth. To be fair, my burt worked down a couple of feet, but still not deep enough for my local venues, so spent last night playing about with different sized strips of lead sheet under the nose. Agree on the poor quality of them and other musky mania lures I’ve got. Holes around the hook hangers and poor quality finishes seem to be quite common. Very good concept and design, just poorly executed I think.

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Jack H wrote: Fri Jan 05 2024 23:03 -

Jack
I’ve only bought one burt, as I’ve been put off in the past hearing about people having to mess about with them to get them to any kind of depth. To be fair, my burt worked down a couple of feet, but still not deep enough for my local venues, so spent last night playing about with different sized strips of lead sheet under the nose. Agree on the poor quality of them and other musky mania lures I’ve got. Holes around the hook hangers and poor quality finishes seem to be quite common. Very good concept and design, just poorly executed I think.

Jack
On the plus side, it's a lot easier to add ballast to a Burt than it is to remove it. It's worth persisting with it though. Exactly how you want it to sit is up to you. Many like them to sit vertically at rest, with a very slow rise. I prefer a more horizontal and slightly faster rise, sitting nose down at about 30 degrees at rest, but it's not that critical and having multiple Burts with different ballast is handy.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Jack

Jack
Jack, you really don't need to mess around with them and don't be put off by those who keep banging on about tinkering. I've owned quite a few and only a very small number have been duds, which were the newer versions and I returned them. Mine are all weighted versions and the only modification I make is to get some of them deeper, else they all work to around 7ft without added weight. To get them deeper than that, I just add a little weight to the front hook attachment eye (top), on the nose (middle) or none at all on the few that do go a little deeper out of the packaging (bottom). I've had several 20's just on those three in the picture, so don't let people tell you they don't catch pike with a simple tweak :wink:

Piking Plonker
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 14:06 -

Jack

Jack
Jack, you really don't need to mess around with them and don't be put off by those who keep banging on about tinkering. I've owned quite a few and only a very small number have been duds, which were the newer versions and I returned them. Mine are all weighted versions and the only modification I make is to get some of them deeper, else they all work to around 7ft without added weight. To get them deeper than that, I just add a little weight to the front hook attachment eye (top), on the nose (middle) or none at all on the few that do go a little deeper out of the packaging (bottom). I've had several 20's just on those three in the picture, so don't let people tell you they don't catch pike with a simple tweak :wink:

:thumbs:
I haven't bought any Burts for a long time but I've never had one that didn't catch straight out the packet. I even bought one off here (or it's predecessor) that the seller said didn't work - it got hit within minutes of me clipping it to the trace!

Just because they might not do what you think they should, Burts will still catch. :wink:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 02:11 -

Jack

Jack
On the plus side, it's a lot easier to add ballast to a Burt than it is to remove it. It's worth persisting with it though. Exactly how you want it to sit is up to you. Many like them to sit vertically at rest, with a very slow rise. I prefer a more horizontal and slightly faster rise, sitting nose down at about 30 degrees at rest, but it's not that critical and having multiple Burts with different ballast is handy.
I’ll definitely be persisting with the one I’ve got. They’ve got a great action and the fish captures speak for themselves. I may even get myself a couple more different patterns in future as a backup for the lure box.

Jack
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 14:06 -

Jack

Jack

Thanks for the tips Mark. Where did you get those small bombs from? I’ve seen cheb weights being used before, but those bombs do look much neater. I like the idea of being able to just add weight on a whim without having to permanently alter a lure with glued on lead.

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 14:15 -
Just because they might not do what you think they should, Burts will still catch. :wink:
Even if they do nothing but skate sideways across the surface on their side? That was a weighted one too! :eek:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 17:14 -
Even if they do nothing but skate sideways across the surface on their side? That was a weighted one too! :eek:
I don't see why not. :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 18:04 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 17:14 -
I don't see why not. :laughs:
With enough casts I'm sure it would have caught one. Pike are utter morons at times and will chew all manner of things.