Lure colour for an overcast day

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Catch 22
Stickleback
Stickleback

Lure colour for an overcast day

Post by Catch 22 »

Hi all. I'm due to be fishing this Sunday. Forecast is for drizzle all day (great). For whatever reason, I don't remember fishing many days when it's been overcast with heavy cloud all day - and I definitely prefer a bit of sun on the waters I fish.

For the lake I'm fishing, I typically use natural colours. However, with the forecast as it is, I'm wondering if I should use brighter lures instead? The water is fairly clear and not particularly deep (6' max).

Any advice re. colour would be much appreciated. Thanks
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Lure colour for an overcast day

Post by Monts »

I only fish rivers, but low cloud and drizzle are my favorite conditions. And I've never been hung up on any particular colour or lure pattern when it's like this. As the prey fish tend to be active and Pike and Perch are too.

It may not be the answer your looking for, but I've got the same conditions this coming Sunday and I'm champing at the bit to go, I'm just hoping the levels drop a little.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Pike will see differently to human eyes, the silhouette and action of the lure can be as much of a factor as colour sometimes. Personally I find water clarity or temperature make more difference than ambient light, except for very bright conditions where they are sometimes reluctant to feed actively.

I rarely use different colours of lures because of light conditions, but i would try different retrieve speeds or use smaller lures in bright weather/larger lures in overcast. Some venues always do well with bright lures and some with natural colours but I have never worked out why. And usually when you think you have worked it out they change their minds anyway.

Start with a colour you are confident with. Then if that doesn't work try every lure you have with you until you get lucky...
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Colour is rarely my first consideration on the waters I fish it’s mainly about conditions, gin clear waters fish better when there’s a big blow on or low light levels,I generally try and avoid flat calm, if the water is coloured providing it’s not too heavy try something resembling Firetiger ie flour green/ yellow black stripes or flashy silver.
Catch 22
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Catch 22 »

Great - thanks guys. I'm feeling a bit more confident about Sunday now. Cheers.
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

OK, so I'm a fly guy - but would still class a large (6"+) pike fly as a lure. Given the conditions you mention, my choices would be flashabou silver or gold and my usual go-to, mainly white with a red head. I would also fish all 3 with a stop-start jerky retrieve.

HTH ....... Tony
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

lakefisher wrote: Fri Feb 16 2024 16:14 -
OK, so I'm a fly guy - but would still class a large (6"+) pike fly as a lure. Given the conditions you mention, my choices would be flashabou silver or gold and my usual go-to, mainly white with a red head. I would also fish all 3 with a stop-start jerky retrieve.

HTH ....... Tony
These days, when fly fishing, I go for much the same. I seldom use anything other than flashabou/tinsel flies that wouldn't look out of place on a Christmas tree. I've spent ages tying the fibre fish-shaped bodies, with little plastic gills and eyes, only for a bunch of tinsel strapped to the hook to outfish them every time! :neutral:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Give the bright ones a try. They can be very effective, even in clear water on a bright sunny day if that's what mood the pike are in on that particular day. They're fickle things at the best of times!
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

I often think colours matter more to us than the fish!
Anyhow, I like to hedge my bets with contrasts and stripes - black / white, perch patterns etc - contrasts that will stand out but still look natural.
But do well with firetiger too!
Peter Newman
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

I always thought colours create contrast.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

I’m not sure colour is a major factor either. I would much prefer something with lots of flash/vibration. Spinners and spinnerbaits are always worth keeping in the box. My favourite colour though for any lure would be a firetiger/perch. Always served me well and have confidence in them.

Jack
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Jack H wrote: Sat Feb 17 2024 21:35 -
I’m not sure colour is a major factor either. I would much prefer something with lots of flash/vibration. Spinners and spinnerbaits are always worth keeping in the box. My favourite colour though for any lure would be a firetiger/perch. Always served me well and have confidence in them.

Jack
Course it's a factor....your favourite lure is fire tiger :tongues: :tongues: :tongues:
ErikB
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ErikB »

i think that high contrast like perch type colorings on lures make them more stand out in the water. Lots of water movement and rattles can make a difference in less clear water. Hard pulse tail roach from Savage gear is a very nice lure for murky water, high profile and a loud rattle in the tail. The main body doesnt really move but the tail does alot. Had alot of fish on these baits.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I'd try extremes - really dark bait/black and then say garish fluoro pattern like firetiger - both work. Presence in the water is key so the fish can detect.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Be careful not to overthink things, the baitfish are the same colour come rain or shine, I wouldn’t change colour because of light levels!! Water clarity is a different matter
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Catch 22 wrote: Fri Feb 16 2024 12:40 -
Hi all. I'm due to be fishing this Sunday. Forecast is for drizzle all day (great). For whatever reason, I don't remember fishing many days when it's been overcast with heavy cloud all day - and I definitely prefer a bit of sun on the waters I fish.

For the lake I'm fishing, I typically use natural colours. However, with the forecast as it is, I'm wondering if I should use brighter lures instead? The water is fairly clear and not particularly deep (6' max).

Any advice re. colour would be much appreciated. Thanks
In short, yes, although in some overcast conditions, black/dark colours or lures with a larger silhouette are a better bet than turning up the colour. I always change lure and lure colours to suit light conditions, people who don't are missing out. It's very simple, you want the pike to see your lure and react to it. People do love to complicate what is something very simple.
Piking Plonker