Pike following lures, but not taking them

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
RonJonSilver
Stickleback
Stickleback

Pike following lures, but not taking them

Post by RonJonSilver »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice.

I've been fishing a local lake for a few of seasons. Its not got a massive head of pike but they are definately in there. I've seen a number of healthy looking doubles, and a fair few jacks over the years.

I've found it hard going, its an ex gravel pit, the water is generally clear water, not the deepest, and the bottom is very weedy in most areas.

Through trial and observation I've found a few holding areas. But I've had no luck dead baiting it. Tried a variety of baits, on the bottom and drifted and no fish landed. And while I can get follows from Pike using lures, takes are few and far between. Pike tend to follow the lures in and then just watch them. On these occasions when they get close in, I've not been able to illicit a take. Tried a lot of lures! But the depth and weed do limit options somewhat.

Starting to feel the frustration build and wondering whether it's worth continuing to stick with it next year. Would appreciate any advice or ideas.

Thanks in advance
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Pike following lures, but not taking them

Post by Steve Dennington »

Some waters can be like this. I've fished waters where you can get follow after follow and others where they tend not to do so. Getting a bunch of follows and blanking is dispiriting, that's for sure!

You mention clear water, but also depth and weed, so I'm guessing that the drop-to-the-bottom-and-watch-for-the-response tactic isn't going to work? Other than that, you can try a burst of speed at the end of the retrieve, a sharp change of direction if the rod is long enough, or a spare rod with a different lure type - ready to chuck an alternative at them. If you're not averse to bait fishing, a deadbait in the margins will often pick up a fish that has been drawn in by a lure but failed to commit.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Seems like the perfect scenario for trying top waters, wait for it to warm up a bit and then give it a go trying different times of the day and with different styles of baits.
As Pike are such low density beasts so you have to be on the lookout for the smallest of clues that might help you find the best times and lure choices, at times even one follow can tell you quite a bit
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Try retrieving faster, first thing I do when they're playing up. Also, try fishing at first light and last knockings, fish that follow often switch on as the light drops. I am yet to fish anywhere where you can't catch pike that follow. Just need to work out how to trigger them or time it right when they're actively feeding, as pike are dead to easy to catch when they're in the mood. If you're getting follows, you've already done the hard bit, finding them. Best advice I give people on the subject, don't over think it, just stay confident and keep fishing.
Piking Plonker
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Agree with others' comments - especially quick retrieve.
Also, are follows to "medium-sized lures" - 5 - 7"?
If so, I'd try maximum contrast - very small and very big.
Peter Newman
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

They dont always take live and deads but will inspect and even nibble them before moving off and so its the same with lures.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
ErikB
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ErikB »

RonJonSilver wrote: Sun Mar 03 2024 17:47 -
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice.

I've been fishing a local lake for a few of seasons. Its not got a massive head of pike but they are definately in there. I've seen a number of healthy looking doubles, and a fair few jacks over the years.

I've found it hard going, its an ex gravel pit, the water is generally clear water, not the deepest, and the bottom is very weedy in most areas.

Through trial and observation I've found a few holding areas. But I've had no luck dead baiting it. Tried a variety of baits, on the bottom and drifted and no fish landed. And while I can get follows from Pike using lures, takes are few and far between. Pike tend to follow the lures in and then just watch them. On these occasions when they get close in, I've not been able to illicit a take. Tried a lot of lures! But the depth and weed do limit options somewhat.

Starting to feel the frustration build and wondering whether it's worth continuing to stick with it next year. Would appreciate any advice or ideas.

Thanks in advance
It can also be just "that day" they wont bite. Is the lake fished a lot? What lures are used a lot?

Have you tried a deadbait on a fireball under a float? Let it go out on the wind and slowly retrieve it back,
Sometimes pike fishing is just a grind where you can cast till your arm is dislocated, and you get one bite that falls of in front of your feet.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Mar 04 2024 18:34 -
They dont always take live and deads but will inspect and even nibble them before moving off and so its the same with lures.

Cheers, Alan
Not really the same though is it. Pike sometimes follow lures with no intention of taking them. I've seen it so many times now, even had pike tap my lure with their mouths shut or just chase the lure down and then bolt off in the opposite direction. From my own experiences, it tends to be the bigger fish that I have seen doing it and this behaviour appears (I am being subjective) to be territorial. But the real reason it is not the same as bait fishing, you can still catch them by invoking a response with lures. Get a pike 'angry' and it does have an effect. For example, a few years back I was fishing a fen river running through a village. I hadn't had a sniff, then out of nowhere I had a follow off a decent fish, but all it did was head butt the lure and swim off. I then continually cast to where it had come from, every time it followed - I think it was half a dozen casts before it decided to slam the lure, 20.04, a good fish for that river. Mind you, I'm yet to see a pike lick my lamprey, but I'll let you'll know if I ever do :lol:
Piking Plonker
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Mar 04 2024 20:40 -
Mind you, I'm yet to see a pike lick my lamprey, but I'll let you'll know if I ever do :lol:
Fnarr fnarr.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Mar 04 2024 20:40 -
I've seen it so many times now, even had pike tap my lure with their mouths shut
When Dunwright released the Lifelike Pike I had a double figure pike follow in and as I was waist deep in the water I did a slow figure 8 motion and she followed the lure around and around, nudging it occasionally with her snout. Eventually, I concluded that she wasn't going to bite, so I whipped the lure out of the water and launched it again. As the lure came back into sight, there she was again, only to repeat the behaviour. It was about this time of year, so maybe she saw my 12" lure as a potential mate!
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Maybe try suspending lures and fish them with an erratic retrieve? Slow with pauses and then sudden jerks sometimes convinces a wary fish that food is about to escape and tricks them into grabbing.
Or as others have said, different sized lures.