Fixed spool reel for 100g lures heavy rod set up

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Joepiker
Perch
Perch

Fixed spool reel for 100g lures heavy rod set up

Post by Joepiker »

Hi folks. Just looking for a bit of advice really.
I’ve gone out and bought an ABU Beast lure rod, rated up to 120g, and am looking for a fixed spool reel to pair with it, 60lb to 80lb braid.
I’v seen people mention the Shimano Vanford and Daiwa Ninja.
I’ve got a couple of the smaller ninjas on trout spinning and light pike lure rods, and in all honesty, was not too impressed with the drag.
I am used to big shads and jerkbaits on my multiplier set up, but in windy conditions on a boat, would like suggestions as to what you guys feel would be best.
Cheers in advance.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Re: Fixed spool reel for 100g lures heavy rod set up

Post by spittlebug »

Hi, i bought same rod.
Looked at a few reels.
Fox Rage Prism X 4500 (spool dia 57mm).
Okuma Ceymar HD C5000A (spool Dia 54mm).
Shimano Exage FD (spool Dia 50mm).
Daiwa Ninja 23 LT 5000 (spool Dia 53.5mm).
Daiwa Ninja 23 LT 6000 (spool Dia 57mm).

Bought the Ceymar but sent back, its too small for the rod.
Bought Diawa Ninja 23 LT 6000 (weight stated 365g),be Ok for the rod.
Put 110m of Daiwa Tournament Evo 8 Lime Green Braid on the reel, only need a mm or so of mono banking on spool first.
Its stated 0.35mm (real life about 0.40mm, due prob to coating), 35.1 KG, 77.4 LB, PE#6.
Got this on 2 Bait Rods to try out, its been excellent, been out a couple of years now, maybe 3yrs.
Powerpro 0.41mm 4 ply on my other Bait Rods.

Bobco have some thicker on offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203115962146 ... R7yWz8DBYw

DT Evo 77.4 LB a bit thick on reel spool, but not bad/ OK. I use thicker on Baitcaster reels 0.43mm & 0.46mm PP 4 Ply.
Not used the fixed spool set up yet thou. OTOH Rod seems well stiff for a 120g Rod.

Bob
Last edited by spittlebug on Sun Mar 10 2024 03:59, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

A 4000 size Shimano and 50lb (0.36mm) Power Pro is my heaviest fixed spool set up and it's good for 4oz lures, no problem at all. I'm not keen on the modern trend for front drag reels (I spent a fortune on a Stella once and hated it) and favour the older rear drag models (Stradic X and Twin Power), but a 4000 Vanford would fit the bill if you like that format.

If you go for 80lb on a fixed spool you're going to need a substantially bigger reel, which will be cumbersome, but unless you're fishing places where you're expecting to get snagged up a lot 80lb is excessive in my opinion.
Joepiker
Perch
Perch

Post by Joepiker »

Cheers Spittlebug, really useful with you having the same rod. Really appreciated.
Cheers Strve Dennington, really useful also. I may have two spools with one being higher bs, as one water I fish is very snaggy.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Luring is hard on reels - always in use; especially heavier lures.
I think retrieve resistance wears them out, on all but small / perch lures.
I spent up through Shimano and Mitchell ranges, up to Techiums £100+ only lasting 2 seasons before getting loose and "whirry", until I got a Shimano Aero Ci4 4000 FA S/H (£300 new). That has been sound - as have Curado, Komodo and Ambassadeurs multipliers for heavier stuff.

https://www.the-pikers-pit.co.uk/viewto ... 20&t=48131
Peter Newman
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

i use a 4000 ninja on a 150gr rated rod for big lures with FS set up, normally when its bloody cold!
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Daiwa SS2600 are brilliant reels for heavy lure setups, designed as a saltwater spinning reel so nice and robust. Not the most amazing line lay but very good drag and tough.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Ratty46 wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 12:37 -
i use a 4000 ninja on a 150gr rated rod for big lures with FS set up, normally when its bloody cold!
I fished that Staffs water about 10 years ago and the car thermometer said -10 when I arrived on a day in February. The whole north lake was a skating rink and the south lake only remained clear of ice because a stiff breeze kept a ripple on. I started with a baitcasting set up, but palming the reel was just painful! I ended up throwing 8" Reps on my deadbait rods and 8010 Baitrunners and picking ice off the rings and bail arm roller. It was less than ideal, but better than getting frostbite from the baitcaster!

We stuck it out until the end, even through the afternoon's heavy snow, and our reward (like pretty much everyone else that day) was a big fat blank :sick:
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 15:47 -
Ratty46 wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 12:37 -
I fished that Staffs water about 10 years ago and the car thermometer said -10 when I arrived on a day in February. The whole north lake was a skating rink and the south lake only remained clear of ice because a stiff breeze kept a ripple on. I started with a baitcasting set up, but palming the reel was just painful! I ended up throwing 8" Reps on my deadbait rods and 8010 Baitrunners and picking ice off the rings and bail arm roller. It was less than ideal, but better than getting frostbite from the baitcaster!

We stuck it out until the end, even through the afternoon's heavy snow, and our reward (like pretty much everyone else that day) was a big fat blank :sick:
yeh its not fun! once temps really dip i always go FS, not as comfy as a BC and much more tiring to use all day but saves my hands freezing!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

fenland piker wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 15:22 -
Daiwa SS2600 are brilliant reels for heavy lure setups, designed as a saltwater spinning reel so nice and robust. Not the most amazing line lay but very good drag and tough.
You're kidding. Back in the Middle Ages they might have been mustard, but compared to modern fixed spool spinning reels they really are poor. The only people that buy them now are brainwashed carp anglers who use them for stalking, and they get sold soon after they discover the anti reverse getting stuck (common issue) and yeah, the line lay is s***e. They don't even feel very nice to use, I had some at one point that I used for barbel fishing. Got a good clutch though. LOL

I get why some chaps prefer a fixed spool, but 80lb braid would need quite a big spinning reel. Something like a Daiwa Whisker 25 QD or Castizm QD would fit the bill, I use the latter for carp at medium to long range, rock solid they are. Personally, I'd knock the idea on the head and stick with a multiplier and 8 or 9ft baitcasting rod - just clip on a heavy lure and fishing into the wind is not an issue at all if you know what you're doing. But hey...
Piking Plonker
Joepiker
Perch
Perch

Post by Joepiker »

Been using the same bait Asti g rod and reel for years now, and love it. Without doubt however, I will feel like I can force a cast a bit further with a fixed spool.
Up at the Staffordshire water a few weeks ago, blanking in pea soup water it was a relief when swapping over to my lighter fixed spool set up on smaller and lighter lures.
I fancy having both set ups in the boat.
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Mark Phillips wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 21:22 -
fenland piker wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 15:22 -
You're kidding. Back in the Middle Ages they might have been mustard, but compared to modern fixed spool spinning reels they really are poor. The only people that buy them now are brainwashed carp anglers who use them for stalking, and they get sold soon after they discover the anti reverse getting stuck (common issue) and yeah, the line lay is s***e. They don't even feel very nice to use, I had some at one point that I used for barbel fishing. Got a good clutch though. LOL

I get why some chaps prefer a fixed spool, but 80lb braid would need quite a big spinning reel. Something like a Daiwa Whisker 25 QD or Castizm QD would fit the bill, I use the latter for carp at medium to long range, rock solid they are. Personally, I'd knock the idea on the head and stick with a multiplier and 8 or 9ft baitcasting rod - just clip on a heavy lure and fishing into the wind is not an issue at all if you know what you're doing. But hey...
Don't get me wrong, I personally only use baitcasters for heavy lure fishing. Okuma Komodo and Citrix, and a Shimano Metanium for smaller lures. But I have used Daiwa ss2600 in the past and they coped fine. Saying that I have really old ones that did get some upgrades (carbon washers and roller bearings) and they are decent reels when I want a fixed spool to match a ten foot rod. You are probably right as the newer ones weren't built to quite the same quality. And the line lay as I said is not great.

The OP asked specifically for fixed spool to suit 100g lure rod and from my experience many of the modern reels wont last long in that scenario. I have broken Okuma/Daiwa Ninja/ mid range Shimanos using them with medium sized lures before I moved to bait casters. At least the SS2600 are a tough reel.
dimitri239
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by dimitri239 »

Penn pursuit 4000 or 5000

Great reels, tough and good value.
ErikB
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ErikB »

Sell and go for baitcaster setup. I've done what you do now, got a heavier spinning rod with a Penn Slammer. The slammer was not what i expected and the rod is sold now. Eventually i got a baitcaster setup up to 120 grams now and never been happier with a rod and reel!
Joepiker
Perch
Perch

Post by Joepiker »

ErikB wrote: Wed Mar 06 2024 16:05 -
Sell and go for baitcaster setup. I've done what you do now, got a heavier spinning rod with a Penn Slammer. The slammer was not what i expected and the rod is sold now. Eventually i got a baitcaster setup up to 120 grams now and never been happier with a rod and reel!
I’ve been using one for years, but also wanted this as a second approach. Hours in a boat, I use my jerkbaits rod in my left hand, right hand wind on multiplier, it’s like a rest when I swap to holding ‘normal’ rod in right hand with left hand wind fixed spool reel.
Dave R
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave R »

I’d stick with the baitcaster set up Joe. If you’ve been using traditonal ‘round’ multiplier reels (e.g. the ABU classics) then try a Shimano Tranx or Curado - they’re much more ergonomic.
Joepiker
Perch
Perch

Post by Joepiker »

Here’s all. Lots of useful opinions and ideas.