Coloured and clear water what lures ?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
GG89
Roach
Roach

Coloured and clear water what lures ?

Post by GG89 »

I’m not a huge lure angler but enjoy lure fishing. Just a couple of hours here and there .
I went to a local lake yesterday and the water was gin clear. As a rule of thumb , if there is such a thing in fishing what colour lures are best in clear water and what colour lures in coloured water ?
Are there any particular lures that work best in clear and coloured waters ?

Cheers all
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Re: Coloured and clear water what lures ?

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Black.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

As a very general generalisation I'd suggest natural/subdued coloured lures with subtle actions in clear water, and brightly coloured lures with vigorous actions in coloured water.

The pike don't read the books though, and Chico's suggestion of black is a good one that is often overlooked, as is white.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Better still, black and white- realistic, contrast to be noticed, and hedge your bets.
Peter Newman
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

GG89 wrote: Sun Mar 10 2024 18:13 -
I’m not a huge lure angler but enjoy lure fishing. Just a couple of hours here and there .
I went to a local lake yesterday and the water was gin clear. As a rule of thumb , if there is such a thing in fishing what colour lures are best in clear water and what colour lures in coloured water ?
Are there any particular lures that work best in clear and coloured waters ?

Cheers all
Generally speaking natural colours to start with in clear water if that fails think about going when it’s really stormy when the water is churned up in big waves, try the last hour into dark too.
GG89
Roach
Roach

Post by GG89 »

Thank you all . Theres lots to go on there .
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

GG89 wrote: Sun Mar 10 2024 21:08 -
Yesterdays selection. Large, gin clear gravel pit. Heavy rain, overcast sky, light winds. Firetiger patterns was the colour I caught on. Usually they'll back off the brighter lures on that water. Just shows you need to take a selection and work it out on the day.

Piking Plonker
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Yesterdays selection. Large, gin clear gravel pit. Heavy rain, overcast sky, light winds. Firetiger patterns were the colours I caught on, also wanted a very slow retrieve, which I find hard work. LOL. Usually they'll back off the brighter coloured lures on that water. Just shows you need to take a selection and work it out on the day.

Piking Plonker
GG89
Roach
Roach

Post by GG89 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 18:35 -
Yesterdays selection. Large, gin clear gravel pit. Heavy rain, overcast sky, light winds. Firetiger patterns were the colours I caught on, also wanted a very slow retrieve, which I find hard work. LOL. Usually they'll back off the brighter coloured lures on that water. Just shows you need to take a selection and work it out on the day.

Mark , that’s very interesting. I had some decent sized pike , not monsters showing interest but they would not take one . I’ll take more of a selection now . 👍🏻👍🏻
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

GG89 wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 21:29 -

Mark , that’s very interesting. I had some decent sized pike , not monsters showing interest but they would not take one . I’ll take more of a selection now . 👍🏻👍🏻
Good luck to you. Lure fishing is all about finding what they want on the day. I take my time selecting lures and colours the evening before I go. Then I usually take a few out before leaving the car, once I've seen the water. If I'm the boat, I can take more lures, a lot more if I choose to. But rarely do I end up fishing with more than a half a dozen; I'm not one for constantly changing lures, but I find it does pay to try a few different patterns and then once you get a hit, stay with it. Tuesday was a fire tiger day. I'll go again tomorrow and it'll be back to perch and silvers. LOL.
Piking Plonker
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 18:32 -
Yesterdays selection. Large, gin clear gravel pit. Heavy rain, overcast sky, light winds. Firetiger patterns was the colour I caught on. Usually they'll back off the brighter lures on that water. Just shows you need to take a selection and work it out on the day.

Is that a savage gear lure mark! :eek: :afraid:
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Mar 14 2024 19:14 -
GG89 wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 21:29 -

Good luck to you. Lure fishing is all about finding what they want on the day. I take my time selecting lures and colours the evening before I go. Then I usually take a few out before leaving the car, once I've seen the water. If I'm the boat, I can take more lures, a lot more if I choose to. But rarely do I end up fishing with more than a half a dozen; I'm not one for constantly changing lures, but I find it does pay to try a few different patterns and then once you get a hit, stay with it. Tuesday was a fire tiger day. I'll go again tomorrow and it'll be back to perch and silvers. LOL.
As per Mark. Then have also found a couple of waters where a particular style of lure heavily outfishes the others, e.g., a reservoir where spinnerbaits rule. Then then play with colour - but mostly silver blades with yellow and blue or firetiger skirt; it’s clouded from suspended clay.
Gary Coggon
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Ratty46 wrote: Fri Mar 15 2024 15:38 -

Yep. LOL. I will admit, the Whitefish Shad is right on the money.
Piking Plonker
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Mar 15 2024 19:20 -

:laughs: :thumbs: they are decent, i got a few

they work well on miuras too, 20cm size
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Ratty46 wrote: Sat Mar 16 2024 00:20 -

Best lure I've seen from them, I really like the two larger sizes, although I won't be using them with a mouse, way more effective without - unweighted they can be fished super slow. Much prefer a pig shad with the mouse.
Piking Plonker
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Mar 17 2024 14:25 -
Ratty46 wrote: Sat Mar 16 2024 00:20 -

Best lure I've seen from them, I really like the two larger sizes, although I won't be using them with a mouse, way more effective without - unweighted they can be fished super slow. Much prefer a pig shad with the mouse.
I use them unweighted, real eels are similar, unweighted you can fish them really slowly, they do look good on the mouse tho the whitefish

I don't have any pig shads, but i really don't want to buy any more lures :laughs: :neutral:
ErikB
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ErikB »

Things that have a rattle.. or, Miuras Mouse :thumbs: