Crimp recommendation?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Schmike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Crimp recommendation?

Post by Schmike »

I want to make up 100lb titanium (single stand cahiro) jerkbait traces......but can't get hold of the matching crimps.
I believe 1.2mm double crimps are what is needed (from what I'm reading!)
Is a crimp a crimp....or are there certain brands that are recommended please?
paintman
Perch
Perch

Re: Crimp recommendation?

Post by paintman »

On their website there are 1.2mm double crimps but not clearly visible until you click on the 'Crimps' heading. They don't mention the 100lb single on that heading but I think that might be an oversight on their part as it does say use 1.2mm on the wire section.
Perhaps a quick email to check & see if they can supply or recommend a make.
I use their wire but not that one so can't suggest any. I'd prefer a recommendation rather than a random ebay purchase.
Schmike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Schmike »

Thanks Paintman. As Jerkbaiting with proper 80g to 120g lures is a new direction for me, would you mind telling me which wire you are using instead? through what I have read, the stiffness of the single-strand was more desirable for jerbaiting than the multistrand.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I use these in 1.3mm https://www.rokmax.com/products/rosco-s ... p?variant=

In case you don't know, you'll need a cup to cup crimping tool for those. Like this https://www.rokmax.com/products/afw-cri ... 7932911663
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 11:45 -

In case you don't know, you'll need a cup to cup crimping tool for those. Like this https://www.rokmax.com/products/afw-cri ... 7932911663
That's what I use :cool:
The length of them changed last year which was pretty annoying.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Schmike wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 11:17 -
Thanks Paintman. As Jerkbaiting with proper 80g to 120g lures is a new direction for me, would you mind telling me which wire you are using instead? through what I have read, the stiffness of the single-strand was more desirable for jerbaiting than the multistrand.
Both the multi strand Ti and single are excellent.
I use the single for jerks and the multi for swimbaits etc but if you want something in the middle of both check the 3 strand Ti it's really good :thumbs:
Schmike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Schmike »

Ah. I did not know that! I though my normal multi-tooth Prorex Crimping tool was acceptable. Thankyou for the heads up. May I ask why I can't just use the larger of the two crimp slots on my crimp pliers?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Schmike wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 14:29 -

Ah. I did not know that! I though my normal multi-tooth Prorex Crimping tool was acceptable. Thankyou for the heads up. May I ask why I can't just use the larger of the two crimp slots on my crimp pliers?
Your crimping pliers are designed to crush the single crimp onto the wire, whereas the cup to cup crimping tool compresses the double crimp around the wire, if that makes sense (forming a cylindrical shape from the original figure 8 shape).
Last edited by Steve Dennington on Mon Mar 11 2024 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Tony McTaggart wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 13:55 -

That's what I use :cool:
The length of them changed last year which was pretty annoying.
I didn't know they'd changed the length. I bought a crapload years ago and still have some left.
Last edited by Steve Dennington on Mon Mar 11 2024 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Schmike wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 11:17 -
For heavy lures - heaviest I've got are Fox Replicants 155 gr - I'm using their .69 multistrand. (88lb/40kg).
Triple pass 1.2mm crimps.
Also with the 15 cm Buster jerks. Not had a problem but others favour the single strand.

For pretty much everything else I'm using the .51 multistrand.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Schmike wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 07:59 -
I want to make up 100lb titanium (single stand cahiro) jerkbait traces......but can't get hold of the matching crimps.
Here you go, hope this helps.

I use AFW crimps, get mine off eBay sellers for best prices. I am not a fan of the double crimps for this type of leader. When using titanium single strand wire, you must double it back through the crimp, else it WILL eventually slip and bye, bye lure or worse, fish. I also then shrink tube over the connection to tidy it all up. I use Fox crimping pliers. I've never had a connection fail and nor has anyone who's bought them off me, when I was coerced to sell them to mates :laughs: I use 100lb for lures up to 12oz, so all the heavy work with jerk and swim bait, also make 24" versions for trolling big lures. 75lb is for up to 4oz and most trolling situations, then the 50lb I use for lures up to 2oz. I use braided titanium below that for perch and wotnot. Taking all that into account, here's the correct crimp size you need for the most common leader strengths (single strand titanium wire):

100lb 0.27mm dia #5 crimp 2.16mm internal dia
75lb 0.23mm dia #4 crimp 1.80mm internal dia
50lb 0.19mm dia #3 crimp 1.40mm internal dia
Piking Plonker
Schmike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Schmike »

Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 21:10 -

I use AFW crimps, get mine off eBay sellers for best prices. I am not a fan of the double crimps for this type of leader. When using titanium single strand wire, you must double it back through the crimp, else it WILL eventually slip and bye, bye lure or worse, fish. I also then shrink tube over the connection to tidy it all up. I use Fox crimping pliers. I've never had a connection fail and nor has anyone who's bought them off me, when I was coerced to sell them to mates :laughs: I use 100lb for lures up to 12oz, so all the heavy work with jerk and swim bait, also make 24" versions for trolling big lures. 75lb is for up to 4oz and most trolling situations, then the 50lb I use for lures up to 2oz. I use braided titanium below that for perch and wotnot. Taking all that into account, here's the correct crimp size you need for the most common leader strengths (single strand titanium wire):

Thankyou Mark for all the information. Has left me scratching my head a bit.....I originally was hoping for single barrel crimps (just because I'm used to it and have the right crimping pliers!) but then read more and more that for 100lb cahira I should he using double crimps!?! I always triple pass the wire even on thinner deadbait traces and shrink tube them up, just something I have always felt confident with. So now I just have to decide who's advice to go with!! Lol
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Schmike wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 21:52 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Mar 11 2024 21:10 -

Thankyou Mark for all the information. Has left me scratching my head a bit.....I originally was hoping for single barrel crimps (just because I'm used to it and have the right crimping pliers!) but then read more and more that for 100lb cahira I should he using double crimps!?! I always triple pass the wire even on thinner deadbait traces and shrink tube them up, just something I have always felt confident with. So now I just have to decide who's advice to go with!! Lol
Either will work. I personally like to double back through a single crimp. Hand on my heart, never had one fail in 20 plus years of using them. Very important to use good quality crimps and correct crimping tools. I hardly ever have to make them, they last so long.
Piking Plonker