First one on a Burt

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

First one on a Burt

Post by peteren »

I must admit to a few “classic” lures in my collection that I’ve never caught on.
I got a bit carried away at a Lurefair a few years back, hearing Eric Edwards’ mantra of “big lures for big pike”, and stocked up at the secondhand stall. Bought a few more since, but apart from successes with Miuras mice, ratio of fish caught to money spent, has been way inferior to smaller lures, so they have tended to gather dust.
Netted a lovely 26 from a drain for my mate Tony on deadbait last week (whilst I blanked trying for tench!), so thought I ought to give the big guns a go in my last session of the season.
No monsters, but pleased to christen both a Burt, with one of 8 and this 14; and a Dave Greenwood Big Dipper – with a couple of jacks scarcely bigger than the lure!
Nice end to my season despite foul weather.
IMG_0935.jpeg
IMG_0938.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by peteren on Tue Mar 12 2024 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Newman
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: First one on a Burt

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs:

It'll be Burts or bust from now on! :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Nicely done, Peter. Work has ruled out my hoped-for last chance session :no:

Pullbaits tend to be overlooked in the UK for some reason, but they catch their fair share and offer something a little different to the more widely used glidebaits.
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

peteren wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:45 -
I must admit to a few “classic” lures in my collection that I’ve never caught on.
I got a bit carried away at a Lurefair a few years back, hearing Eric Edwards’ mantra of “big lures for big pike”, and stocked up at the secondhand stall. Bought a few more since, but apart from successes with Miuras mice, ratio of fish caught to money spent, has been way inferior to smaller lures, so they have tended to gather dust.
Netted a lovely 26 from a drain for my mate Tony on deadbait last week (whilst I blanked trying for tench!), so thought I ought to give the big guns a go in my last session of the season.
No monsters, but pleased to christen both a Burt, with one of 8 and this 14; and a Dave Greenwood Big Dipper – with a couple of jacks scarcely bigger than the lure!
Nice end to my season despite foul weather.
IMG_0935.jpegIMG_0938.jpeg
Nice one Pete :thumbs:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

:thumbs: Well done Peter. Just got my first burt recently and have yet to christen it.

Jack
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Never ignore a long hang pause with a burt......
Love the hit!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Jack H wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 22:44 -
:thumbs: Well done Peter. Just got my first burt recently and have yet to christen it.

Jack
Hope it works! I have several that I've had to get the drill out for because they sank. A sinking Burt isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they're not supposed to do that.

It's a very good design, but production tolerances aren't wonderful, so you get a crazy amount of variation for a plastic lure.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Love a burt. Well done. All the encouragement you need is a few fish on one and you’ll be keen on them for life
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 23:08 -

Jack
Hope it works! I have several that I've had to get the drill out for because they sank. A sinking Burt isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they're not supposed to do that.

It's a very good design, but production tolerances aren't wonderful, so you get a crazy amount of variation for a plastic lure.
My only 2 were seconhand from Lurefair and look "tuned".

Slow rise / float nose down; dive on the pull.

Always look a bit inactive to me, bar the wiggly tail - but as Dave Pugh and others have said, real baitfish don't generally wiggle around as much as most lures...
Peter Newman
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

I like floating shallow diving plugs - solid or jointed - for over weed & shallow water.
Vary the retrieve speed with frequent stops & sudden pulls to vary the action.
Work well for bass too.
Various sizes including some very small ones that chub love.
Riverwise can be allowed to float into places that can't easily be cast into then start the retrieve once in position
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

peteren wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 09:58 -

Jack

My only 2 were seconhand from Lurefair and look "tuned".

Slow rise / float nose down; dive on the pull.

Always look a bit inactive to me, bar the wiggly tail - but as Dave Pugh and others have said, real baitfish don't generally wiggle around as much as most lures...
Sounds like that one does pretty much what they should and that pike seems to approve :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Jack

you get a crazy amount of variation for a plastic lure.
If they were all the same you'd only have to buy two or three! :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 12:37 -

Jack

That's true. I gave up on the weighted version for my last lot, figuring that I might as well get the unweighted and ballast them myself. It's much easier to add ballast to them than it is to remove it and I can at least be sure with the unweighted that they won't need a dirty great hole drilling in them to remove one of the lead balls...
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 14:04 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 12:37 -

Jack

That's true. I gave up on the weighted version for my last lot, figuring that I might as well get the unweighted and ballast them myself. It's much easier to add ballast to them than it is to remove it and I can at least be sure with the unweighted that they won't need a dirty great hole drilling in them to remove one of the lead balls...
That was pretty much my approach. :thumbs:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Jack

I’ve got confidence in them, having seen what other people do with them. Mines weighted in a rough ball park of where I want it to be, as out the box, it just seemed to skim just under the surface, not ideal for fishing a river that’s 2 foot up :laughs:

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Jack H wrote: Wed Mar 13 2024 22:19 -
I’ve got confidence in them, having seen what other people do with them. Mines weighted in a rough ball park of where I want it to be, as out the box, it just seemed to skim just under the surface, not ideal for fishing a river that’s 2 foot up :laughs:

Jack
I've had a couple like that (weighted versions). They literally just skated sideways across the surface and wouldn't dive at all. It's one extreme to the other with Burts!
old_school
Roach
Roach

Post by old_school »

Burts and Dippers are often my go to lures. I work them as a team, burts 4/6ft down and dippers for the deeper water burts can’t get to. They are particularly good ive found when pike aren’t in a chasing mood as they hang that bit longer in the water giving the fish chance to strike without using too much energy to chase it
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

over rated lure got rid off mine.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

fishder wrote: Sun Mar 17 2024 11:12 -
Fair enough. I've had quite a few 20's on them over the years. I actually think pull baits are underrated, especially given it's a different kind of presentation to what most people will be chucking. There's one reservoir I fish where they nearly always get you a fish or two on tough days. Not a go to lure for me, but one I wouldn't want to leave at home either.
Piking Plonker
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

fishder wrote: Sun Mar 17 2024 11:12 -
The one lure I'd never go without.