Side imaging fish finder info needed

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Barbelist
Major
Major

Re: Side imaging fish finder info needed

Post by Barbelist » Tue Jan 09 2018 20:38

I have recently moved into the world of si....went for a Humminbird Helix7 which suits my needs - portable and not too heavy on battery useage. Only managed to get out on the Severn once so far, as well as a run out on Farmoor. Very interesting toy to play with and try to make some sense of - will take a few more trips out to gauge what is what!!

I was advised to look out for a car wheel/tyre on the bottom so I can see how big it looks on screen - that way I should be able to gauge how big the blibs and blobs are by comparison and estimate the fish size...any other tips and tricks would be well received here...

Thanks

Paul
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Carlperkins » Tue Jan 09 2018 21:03

Learn a lot from YouTube
Some can be a bit long winded but the yanks are way ahead
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

Ian Crook
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Ian Crook » Tue Jan 09 2018 21:06

Will Smith wrote:
Fordey wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
I don’t fully agree with the get the biggest you can afford line! There are many considerations: Do you want a permanently installed set up on a private boat? Do you want a fully portable set up? Do you want a hybrid of both? You need to consider power consumption and what size of battery you want to cart around for a portable set up, there is a huge difference between 9 inch and 12 inch power consumption for example. Mounting options are another consideration, the weight of a 12 inch unit is a fair bit more than a 9.
Personally I don’t find a 12 inch screen enough of an advantage to justify the huge leap in cost, my preference is to have two 9” side by side, that way I have better flexibility over the views I need, e.g. I can have a full screen of Sidescan or 3d
I was just going to make that point about power consumption Ian. My set up is 2 x 9" HDS gen 3, and 1 x 12". The 9's draw 1 amp each, the 12 draws 3.5 amp on it's own!
So are you are actually using three separate screens ?
if so, do they all use the same transducers ?
Will.
I’m guessing two 9” at the helm and the 12 at the bow, structure and broadband transducers on the transom and a further broadband transducer built into a Motorguide Xi5 bow mount motor, all connected via Ethernet and an Xi5 NMEA gateway

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Tue Jan 09 2018 21:13

Ian Crook wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Fordey wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
I don’t fully agree with the get the biggest you can afford line! There are many considerations: Do you want a permanently installed set up on a private boat? Do you want a fully portable set up? Do you want a hybrid of both? You need to consider power consumption and what size of battery you want to cart around for a portable set up, there is a huge difference between 9 inch and 12 inch power consumption for example. Mounting options are another consideration, the weight of a 12 inch unit is a fair bit more than a 9.
Personally I don’t find a 12 inch screen enough of an advantage to justify the huge leap in cost, my preference is to have two 9” side by side, that way I have better flexibility over the views I need, e.g. I can have a full screen of Sidescan or 3d
I was just going to make that point about power consumption Ian. My set up is 2 x 9" HDS gen 3, and 1 x 12". The 9's draw 1 amp each, the 12 draws 3.5 amp on it's own!
Will.
I’m guessing two 9” at the helm and the 12 at the bow, structure and broadband transducers on the transom and a further broadband transducer built into a Motorguide Xi5 bow mount motor, all connected via Ethernet and an Xi5 NMEA gateway
Just as I thought Ian. :laughs:

Will.

jimmy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jimmy » Tue Jan 09 2018 22:08

Jezo you lads have way too much cash 😟

Fordey
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Fordey » Wed Jan 10 2018 00:47

Ian Crook wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Fordey wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
Will.
Yes on the set-up, but I'm running a 7" on the bow for vertical fishing... Main set up is 9" on the dash (for nav charts, when running between waypoints, quite rocky over here!) 9" with the 12" mounted above it (saved on space and still allowed access to rod lockers). One unit is the "mother" (source) unit, all info comes to that and is then relayed. Depending on what I'm doing on the day, a variety of split screens of SI, 3D, 2D Downscan, and standard sonar chart. Generally don't split the 9" as I usually reserve that for the SI, probably the most important of the above, particularly when fish are hard to locate. As you point out the interface, it's worth remembering for those that are getting into this area, that Lowrance are teamed with MotorGuide, and Hummingbird with Minn Kota. I'd love the remote deploy Minn Kota, but alas, not compatible.. BTW I'm looking into the Li-ion batteries at the moment, if the claims are correct, a real game-changer. Only worry is, they don't like water apparently!

Bob Barker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bob Barker » Thu Jan 11 2018 18:53

Thinking of upgrading my fish finder to a side imaging model, any recommendations on which model or deals available. :grin:
I have the garmin striker 7sv which im pretty happy with.
I also have the Garmin, good bit of kit for the money but wish I'd got something with a bigger screen
The Garmin Striker is now available with a 9 inch screen, GARMIN STRIKER PLUS 9sv
It also has Quickdraw contours mapping built in, Wi-Fi and a dedicated ActiveCaptain app.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fisha ... us-series/
http://www.sonarwars.com/garmin-striker-plus-review/
https://eco-globe.com/garmin-striker-plus-9sv-reviews/
Plenty more reviews on the net.

Best UK price I can find after a quick search,

http://rowlandsmarine.co.uk/garmin-stri ... ransducer/

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/index.php?mo ... pid=159292

If anyone finds it for less please post website. :smile:

Bob Barker, :thumbs:
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.

Ian Crook
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Ian Crook » Thu Jan 11 2018 23:14

Barbelist wrote:
I have recently moved into the world of si....went for a Humminbird Helix7 which suits my needs - portable and not too heavy on battery useage. Only managed to get out on the Severn once so far, as well as a run out on Farmoor. Very interesting toy to play with and try to make some sense of - will take a few more trips out to gauge what is what!!

I was advised to look out for a car wheel/tyre on the bottom so I can see how big it looks on screen - that way I should be able to gauge how big the blibs and blobs are by comparison and estimate the fish size...any other tips and tricks would be well received here...

Thanks

Paul
Hiya Paul, hope you are well, just bear in mind when trying to gauge size of “fish” that much of the body of a fish does not reflect sonar as it is very close in density to water, primarily the swim bladder and main bones produce a reflection and hence a shadow.

Barbelist
Major
Major

Post by Barbelist » Fri Jan 12 2018 09:56

Cheere Ian...TBH, I've been under the weather for a month or so now and really can't be arsed to get out there just yet!!

The trips out so far have been illuminating - bream are definately rounder on the screen (blobs) and I have seen a few slimmer signals that I surmise to be pike/zander (blibs)...just really need something to 'measure' them against like a tyre...take your point though - seems to be a lot of variables in what we are actually looking at on screen?

Having been out on Chew with a Humminbird Helix MEGA10 where we were able to actually see the pike fins on the shadow - I was hoping to see similar, albeit not so detailed of course,on my Helix 7...?

Paul
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Carlperkins » Fri Jan 12 2018 12:32

32B14976-1A64-4FA2-93EA-5B0BD24E9887.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Carlperkins » Fri Jan 12 2018 12:34

0149C8A8-D397-49CB-88CC-FE1D4709A67C.jpeg
B616706F-B6E8-4C29-A8C2-CE1A0F6819F1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cecil Rhodes

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Carlperkins » Fri Jan 12 2018 12:37

I had the 7 and upgraded to the 9 and could see more but not in the detail that the 10 mega is showing
Really opened my eyes to what I thought I was seeing

Cecil Rhodes

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Fri Jan 12 2018 20:10

Did you by any chance get a hit as you passed through/over that lot Carl ?

Will.

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Carlperkins » Fri Jan 12 2018 20:20

It’s no fishing in that spot. 😡

Cecil Rhodes

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Fri Jan 12 2018 21:06

Bummer.

Who says fish are stupid.

Will.

Donky123
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Donky123 » Sat Jan 13 2018 11:19

Is it sad to know where that is form the side scan image alone?

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Carlperkins » Sat Jan 13 2018 12:02

Only if you’ve named the individual Fish 😂

Cecil Rhodes