Solar battery maintainers

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
jimbosfc1
Private
Private

Solar battery maintainers

Postby jimbosfc1 » Sat Feb 10 2018 21:07

Howya lads. thinking of getting a 5w maintainer to keep my three leisure batterys from running out early on me when trolling in the wind

Are they any use ?

Mike J
Major
Major

Re: Solar battery maintainers

Postby Mike J » Sun Feb 11 2018 11:17

A 10m boat that hadn't been used for 3years with only had a single 15" x 10" solar panel on the cabin roof for maintenance.
It fired up almost immediately (fresh fuel).

Amazing!

Crackoff
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Crackoff » Mon Feb 12 2018 08:40

Ben is the one to ask :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

You have to-be able to laugh at yourself before you can laugh at someone els ;-)

It’s easy to find fault. That's why theirs so many critics

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 12 2018 19:06

That size panel will just about be enough to keep them topped up ready when the boat isn’t in use but it won’t have anywhere near enough to keep them topped up during use

Duncan Holmes is the most knowledgable on here for Amp draw etc

What size batteries have you got?
Wine for my men, we ride at dawn

chrisjdonovan
Captain
Captain

Postby chrisjdonovan » Tue Feb 13 2018 10:16

Jim,
Not certain if I read this on the net somewhere but when using a solar panel during the day it will top up your batteries but during the hours of darkness the current reverses and draws power from the battery.
This being the case you may need a controller to stop the reverse happening? I fitted one to my camper solar (it came with the kit) so there must be some truth to it.
Chrisd

Will Smith
Major
Major

Postby Will Smith » Tue Feb 13 2018 11:42

chrisjdonovan wrote:
Jim,
Not certain if I read this on the net somewhere but when using a solar panel during the day it will top up your batteries but during the hours of darkness the current reverses and draws power from the battery.
This being the case you may need a controller to stop the reverse happening? I fitted one to my camper solar (it came with the kit) so there must be some truth to it.
Chrisd
Interesting, I will have to look into that Chris, it might explain a small problem I am having at the minute.

Will

Duncan Holmes
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Duncan Holmes » Tue Feb 13 2018 15:04

A 5 W solar panel is going to add next to nothing to your batteries during use, they will be ok for replacing the storage charge on a fully charged battery but nothing else.

To charge a SLA battery you need to get to around 15Volts, slightly higher if you run AGM.

Watts = Volts x Amps, so a 5W panel will produce 5/15 = 0.333Amps.

If you have a 100 AH battery that has dropped to 50% you need to replace 50 AH of power. 50/0.33 = 150 hours or 6 days to recharge each battery back to full.

And that is if the panel is running flat out all the time which it will never will, the 5W rating is the max the panel will produce under (almost) ideal conditions, something we see on just a few days in the UK. On average you can expect around 22%-25% of the rated power being produced, dependant on how far North or South the panel is located.

3 batteries sounds like a lot of amps per day, are you sure your batteries are still good?
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 13 2018 19:31

That might be right if you didn’t have a decent solar controller unit and just wired the panel straight on to the batteries Chris, that’s not the correct way to set it up though, my panel goes into a controller then out to the batteries, has a remote display unit so you can keep an eye on things whilst sat in the captains chair

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 13 2018 19:32

Thanks Duncan, you are the man for this stuff

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 13 2018 19:34

This is what I have

EPSOLAR Dual Battery 20A Solar Charge Controller Battery Regulator + MT1 Meter https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2620790777

jimbosfc1
Private
Private

Postby jimbosfc1 » Sun Feb 18 2018 16:29

3 batteries sounds like a lot of amps per day, are you sure your batteries are still good?
[/quote]

Batteries are 100 % , 2 are brand new and one is newish. I dont troll off the main engine as its too nosey. I hook up the trolling motor with a homemade stem to the main motor and troll off the steering wheel. a full days trolling with the leccy with a breeze of wind from 8am till 5pm will drain the the 3 batterys completely most of the time. If its flat calm i usually go through 2

jimbosfc1
Private
Private

Postby jimbosfc1 » Sun Feb 18 2018 16:31

Ben wrote:
That size panel will just about be enough to keep them topped up ready when the boat isn’t in use but it won’t have anywhere near enough to keep them topped up during use

Duncan Holmes is the most knowledgable on here for Amp draw etc

What size batteries have you got?
At the moment i have 2 x 115ah ( one is a halfords the other is a numax marine ) , and i also have a 75ah Numax marine. Ill be getting rid off the halfords battery as its too bloody heavy and drains out quicker than the Numax one. The numax one is much lighter so will soon have a second one of those

Rab Russell
Captain
Captain

Postby Rab Russell » Mon Feb 19 2018 01:30

anyone adding a decent size solar panel 50w to 100w it would be worth adding a mppt solar controller you will get more draw from your solar panel they cost a bit more but you will get more bang for your buck.
the pwm controllers aren't as good at converting as much energy to the battery
The piking bandit

Return to “Boat Fishing Forum”