For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Boat fishing age 60 plus

Post by martin godliman » Sun Dec 02 2018 12:11

Mike J wrote:
Steve et al.
Do you loose your booking fee if the fishery decide the weather is to dangerous to go out or do you get a refund or offerred an alternative?

Never caught well in the rain myself.
They used to vary Mike some would charge up front for no shows other didn't ....I never put it to the test so I'm not sure I would willingly forgo the money if it ever came to it. I've never agreed with that quote "a bad days fishing is better than a day at work"....not true unless your work is down the sewers :laughs:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

alan behenna
Major
Major

Post by alan behenna » Sun Dec 02 2018 14:15

Mike J wrote:
Steve et al.
Do you loose your booking fee if the fishery decide the weather is to dangerous to go out or do you get a refund or offerred an alternative?

The normal custom if bad weather (fishery cancelled) is to be offered an alternative date/s, or a refund if the date/s offered is unsuitable.

:grin:

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Sun Dec 02 2018 14:35

alan behenna wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Steve et al.

The normal custom if bad weather (fishery cancelled) is to be offered an alternative date/s, or a refund if the date/s offered is unsuitable.

:grin:

Thank you :thumbs:

Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Neville Fickling » Sun Dec 02 2018 18:10

Martin I agree a bad days fishing isn’t better than a good day at wirk

Steve Le maitre
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve Le maitre » Sun Dec 02 2018 18:19

Nev what is this wirk you speak of, have you been on the Cider ?

Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Neville Fickling » Sun Dec 02 2018 20:32

Can’t be arsed to go back and correct it

Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 » Sun Dec 02 2018 23:33

martin godliman wrote:
mostly I fish from my own boat or my friends portobote ( a bit like standing on blancmange) on the Thames. The biggest effort I find is trundling the boat and trailer out my garage and hitching it up then launching and then putting it all away again at the end of the day not the actual fishing.
I'm a mere whipper snapper of 47 and I loved my 12ft Portabote Martin, it was the absolute essence set up with a 5hp Honda on the back. What I didn't like though, was lugging the whole lot to the water and then spending 30 mins or so getting set up and launching. Once winter sets in, slip-sliding about in your wellies carrying a 25kg engine about a muddy waterside launch spot isn't fun.

I've never liked to fish in persistent rain, I've never really done that good in it and if its forecast to be like that, I'll usually give it a miss. One of the things I tend to do a lot more of nowadays is shorter sessions, both on the boat and on the bank. I find it offers a lot more in terms of versatility in that I only take what I absolutely need and so getting to those further away swim is a lot easier but also, it offers a much more agile approach once on the bank. Double bonus is, once you're moving around the bank or even moving swims by boat, the cold often fades away. I wear some Fox ankle length boots, for me they are a revelation - comfy, warm and very waterproof. I bought a second set for use on the motorbike as they also look quite smart. I always take a decent flask with me these days.
"The EU is the old Soviet Union but dressed in Western clothes" - Mikhail Gorbachev

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Mon Dec 03 2018 17:53

Fentiger01 wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
mostly I fish from my own boat or my friends portobote ( a bit like standing on blancmange) on the Thames. The biggest effort I find is trundling the boat and trailer out my garage and hitching it up then launching and then putting it all away again at the end of the day not the actual fishing.
I'm a mere whipper snapper of 47 and I loved my 12ft Portabote Martin, it was the absolute essence set up with a 5hp Honda on the back. What I didn't like though, was lugging the whole lot to the water and then spending 30 mins or so getting set up and launching. Once winter sets in, slip-sliding about in your wellies carrying a 25kg engine about a muddy waterside launch spot isn't fun.

I've never liked to fish in persistent rain, I've never really done that good in it and if its forecast to be like that, I'll usually give it a miss. One of the things I tend to do a lot more of nowadays is shorter sessions, both on the boat and on the bank. I find it offers a lot more in terms of versatility in that I only take what I absolutely need and so getting to those further away swim is a lot easier but also, it offers a much more agile approach once on the bank. Double bonus is, once you're moving around the bank or even moving swims by boat, the cold often fades away. I wear some Fox ankle length boots, for me they are a revelation - comfy, warm and very waterproof. I bought a second set for use on the motorbike as they also look quite smart. I always take a decent flask with me these days.
My mates Portobote has 2,5 hp two stroke engine so getting anywhere is a plod so we generally do short routes in his boat when we take my 12ft Sea Nymph out I've got a 6 hp four stroke so we can range further faster. It's a very long time since I walked the bank and even longer since I fished with baits dirty filthy baits only the noble art of lure fishing for me now :grin:

Another thing no one mentions much one way or another is company I have only ever very rarely gone fishing alone it's always had a social element for me a day in the company of friend is part of the appeal. I might not even go now if I didn't have someone to go with, I need someone up the other end of the boat taking the pi55 and having a laugh. I understand some people fish to be alone and that's just how they like it, not me I work alone and struggle with that, probably why I'm on here so much.

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Mon Dec 03 2018 18:51

That reply could have been penned by me Martin, more or less exactly where I am with my fishing now, including the social aspect.

Will.

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Tue Dec 04 2018 00:13

Will Smith wrote:
That reply could have been penned by me Martin, more or less exactly where I am with my fishing now, including the social aspect.

Will.
:thumbs: ..pity we live so far apart Will :smile:

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Tue Dec 04 2018 22:31

A tragedy Martin :laughs: .

Will.

Dave Horton
General
General

Post by Dave Horton » Thu Dec 06 2018 06:12

martin godliman wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

My mates Portobote has 2,5 hp two stroke engine so getting anywhere is a plod so we generally do short routes in his boat when we take my 12ft Sea Nymph out I've got a 6 hp four stroke so we can range further faster. It's a very long time since I walked the bank and even longer since I fished with baits dirty filthy baits only the noble art of lure fishing for me now :grin:

Another thing no one mentions much one way or another is company I have only ever very rarely gone fishing alone it's always had a social element for me a day in the company of friend is part of the appeal. I might not even go now if I didn't have someone to go with, I need someone up the other end of the boat taking the pi55 and having a laugh. I understand some people fish to be alone and that's just how they like it, not me I work alone and struggle with that, probably why I'm on here so much.
I've become a far more social animal when it comes to fishing in recent years and for the most part I seem to enjoy the social days more than the solo ones but give me a sniff of something special or exciting and I'm instantly chomping at the bit to sat there all on my lonesome!

(Part of my getting older maybe face)

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Thu Dec 06 2018 10:08

Dave Horton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

I've become a far more social animal when it comes to fishing in recent years and for the most part I seem to enjoy the social days more than the solo ones but give me a sniff of something special or exciting and I'm instantly chomping at the bit to sat there all on my lonesome!

We mostly fall into one or other category in the end of course being with someone else means you have to share and if the fishing gods decree luck goes with the 'other' bloke your good friend it's almost as much fun as having it yourself for me.

I realise that's a bold claim but the older I get the more it I value it and I know it to myself, the bloke I fish with most of the time is just as long experienced as me but slightly less traveled then me and has only say a couple of twenties (he probably) doesn't care that much.
One day when we were out early on I pointed to spot I knew to almost always hold a fish sometimes a few and insisted he have the first few casts and he had a low twenty and he has done the same (same fish) for a friend of his who hardly ever fishes. I've never had it, I know it makes me sound like I'm claiming some noble ethic but I feel it more as I get older if I heard of somewhere special I would want him to be with me if we had a go at it.

Nothing wrong with fishing alone of course for some it is the point to get away from everybody and be out by the water almost a contemplative thing.

Dave Horton
General
General

Post by Dave Horton » Thu Dec 06 2018 12:04

martin godliman wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

We mostly fall into one or other category in the end of course being with someone else means you have to share and if the fishing gods decree luck goes with the 'other' bloke your good friend it's almost as much fun as having it yourself for me.

I realise that's a bold claim but the older I get the more it I value it and I know it to myself, the bloke I fish with most of the time is just as long experienced as me but slightly less traveled then me and has only say a couple of twenties (he probably) doesn't care that much.
One day when we were out early on I pointed to spot I knew to almost always hold a fish sometimes a few and insisted he have the first few casts and he had a low twenty and he has done the same (same fish) for a friend of his who hardly ever fishes. I've never had it, I know it makes me sound like I'm claiming some noble ethic but I feel it more as I get older if I heard of somewhere special I would want him to be with me if we had a go at it.

Nothing wrong with fishing alone of course for some it is the point to get away from everybody and be out by the water almost a contemplative thing.
I hear ya Martin and in 20 years time when I've caught you up?

(I'll maybe catch you up face)

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Thu Dec 06 2018 12:12

Dave Horton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

I hear ya Martin and in 20 years time when I've caught you up?

(I'll maybe catch you up face)
Could be :smile: :thumbs:

GAVIN H
Colonel
Colonel

Post by GAVIN H » Thu Dec 06 2018 18:52

One of my absolute piking hero,s is now mid 70,s and has been boat fishing irish waters for at least 40 years and as far as i know , is still at it, in fact i heard on the grapevine he had another 30 last year. Like i say, he,s a hero to me, fellas like him were catching big pike before ally boats with 100hp engines, sidescan, 360 scan, lures the size of small cars, mobile phones, face book and feckin lists.

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Thu Dec 06 2018 21:06

GAVIN H wrote:
One of my absolute piking hero,s is now mid 70,s and has been boat fishing irish waters for at least 40 years and as far as i know , is still at it, in fact i heard on the grapevine he had another 30 last year. Like i say, he,s a hero to me, fellas like him were catching big pike before ally boats with 100hp engines, sidescan, 360 scan, lures the size of small cars, mobile phones, face book and feckin lists.

He would be my hero to.
Way to go brother :handshake:

bigaldo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigaldo » Fri Dec 07 2018 08:07

martin godliman wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

I find I fish much better on my own. Its not that I dislike company but i just fish more productively on my own.
But I do like fishing with company, as I enjoy the banter etc. But catches plummet as I spend so much time talking rubbish, trying to get them a fish etc.
I suppose it's not all about the fish. It's the whole thing, the day, the company etc...just enjoyment I guess.
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Fri Dec 07 2018 10:27

bigaldo wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Fentiger01 wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

I find I fish much better on my own. Its not that I dislike company but i just fish more productively on my own.
But I do like fishing with company, as I enjoy the banter etc. But catches plummet as I spend so much time talking rubbish, trying to get them a fish etc.
I suppose it's not all about the fish. It's the whole thing, the day, the company etc...just enjoyment I guess.
Interesting different attitude one thing for sure I'm a blabbermouth :red: and maybe it's rubbish when I think about it afterwards but not when I'm saying it :grin:

Not sure how much difference to my catch numbers beyond the sharing element it would be hard to put it to the test, You're right, the whole day, the company is a big part of it for me too, mind you I never lose interest in catching and it just may be your friend who comes up with best catching idea/plan on the day.

I never agree with those that say "It's just nice to be out in nature and catching is bonus"....ballix to that !! :laughs: I'm there to catch fish primarily and I really hate a total blank, I can't find it in me to be philosophical about it. :laughs: