Sonar; what do I really need?

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
saddlebags
Stickleback
Stickleback

Sonar; what do I really need?

Post by saddlebags » Thu Jan 03 2019 22:44

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a resource for fish finders use & selection please? Or even a recommenation?

I've had a Garmin 120 for a few years, using it (portable) on a 12' boat, for piking and bait-catching, on a river. I'd really like to be able to ID bait fish better and be sure I can tell the difference between a shoal of roach, a big fish and a sunken tree.

The river is never more than 20' deep, I don't need mapping/GPS 'cos I can see both banks and it it isn't a featureless fen drain. I have no interest in the the latest shiny kit or spending more than my outboard costs!

Would I get any tangible benefit from side-imaging (or anything else a bit more modern than what I have)...or is it my interpretation that is lacking?

And if I get something more "accurate", will I end up losing those benefits because I would need to turn the resolution/gain right down when in aerated water in a weir?

Thanks
Adrian

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Sonar; what do I really need?

Post by Duncan Holmes » Thu Jan 03 2019 23:24

Have you searched the boat forum, quite a few threads in there.

Si will tell you so, so much more than a di will in that sort of depth.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Fri Jan 04 2019 11:42

saddlebags wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a resource for fish finders use & selection please? Or even a recommenation?

I've had a Garmin 120 for a few years, using it (portable) on a 12' boat, for piking and bait-catching, on a river. I'd really like to be able to ID bait fish better and be sure I can tell the difference between a shoal of roach, a big fish and a sunken tree.

The river is never more than 20' deep, I don't need mapping/GPS 'cos I can see both banks and it it isn't a featureless fen drain. I have no interest in the the latest shiny kit or spending more than my outboard costs!

Would I get any tangible benefit from side-imaging (or anything else a bit more modern than what I have)...or is it my interpretation that is lacking?

And if I get something more "accurate", will I end up losing those benefits because I would need to turn the resolution/gain right down when in aerated water in a weir?

Thanks
Adrian
Maybe you need something better, or maybe it's just that the settings on your sounder are'nt right. At a basic level, make sure that fish ID function is set to OFF, otherwise you won't have a clue what the cartoon on screen is telling you. I have a Garmin Striker with GPS etc on my big boat, but I recently bought a Lowrance Hook3 for the small boat and for the money it tells me everything I need to know on the waters where that boat is likely to be used.

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Sat Jan 12 2019 01:32

:wink: :thumbs:
49638326_2095028393873809_7616384712814100480_o.jpg

Grant :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :smile:

Mattjb
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Mattjb » Sat Jan 12 2019 09:51

Crackoff wrote:
:wink: :thumbs:

49638326_2095028393873809_7616384712814100480_o.jpg

Grant :smile:
Must be Cattermole's boat! ( thought I'd get in there first with that one!)

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sat Jan 12 2019 10:42

I started with an Eagle Mach 1 paper graph, since then I used a whole range including Simrad, Raymarine, Navman, Furono, Garmin and Lowrance for commercial and recreation.
For rereational fishing at all depths Lowrance gives the best performance, for purely bottom fishing Furuno is superior.
Buy a quality instrument, install it correctly, read, learn and adjust it to suit your requirements and it will give you a decade or more of good service.

Dont forget if you want to return to the same location (waypoint) or troll a feature more than once you will need a decent plotter, so buy separate units not a combo, then if one crashes you still have the other.