Electric Winch ?

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
royboy
Perch
Perch

Electric Winch ?

Post by royboy » Thu Mar 14 2019 15:10

Looking for info for an electric winch for my trailer .
Will be using it on a heavy 16`Alumacraft with a Pega Trailer ...

Anyone have first hand experience and can recommend one ?

Rgds, Pat

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Re: Electric Winch ?

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Mar 14 2019 16:02

Check the PEGA online shop Pat :wink:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Thu Mar 14 2019 16:02

I had one that came with my Pega trailer. More hassle than it's worth IMO. You need to add a battery box to the trailer and it's one more battery to maintain, plus maintaining the winch. If you go for one get a dyneema cord rather than steel cable, it's more durable in the long run. The steel cables fray and hold twist. I got rid and have a geared 2 speed hand winch - never lets me down. A quick squirt of grease once a season. Nobody nicks it when it's parked up and I'm off afloat. My leccy winch was detachable and stowed in the car when afloat. They do get nicked off trailers in car parks.

royboy
Perch
Perch

Post by royboy » Thu Mar 14 2019 16:26

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Check the PEGA online shop Pat :wink:

I had a gander Edward , $%^$ me thought I was getting a free boat with the winch :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

royboy
Perch
Perch

Post by royboy » Thu Mar 14 2019 16:27

Andrew , there is a power socket in the boot of the jeep .
So no need for the extra battery .
Detachable sounds good .

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Thu Mar 14 2019 16:38

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Thu Mar 14 2019 16:43

royboy wrote:
Detachable sounds good .
I'd be careful about the power socket in the boot. My car has one too. The winch current draw will burn the wiring out if your vehicle socket is the regular 12volt socket type. Look at the cable gauge on winches connected to batteries only a couple of feet away on the trailer - it's much thicker gauge. The cabling running through the vehicle to the vehicle socket is longer so needs to be even heavier gauge than when from winch to trailer battery - which it won't be in a standard set up. If you want an in-vehicle socket it will need to be wired in with a much heavier gauge cable.

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Mar 14 2019 16:51

andrew_nagel wrote:
royboy wrote:
Detachable sounds good .
I'd be careful about the power socket in the boot. My car has one too. The winch current draw will burn the wiring out if your vehicle socket is the regular 12volt socket type. Look at the cable gauge on winches connected to batteries only a couple of feet away on the trailer - it's much thicker gauge. The cabling running through the vehicle to the vehicle socket is longer so needs to be even heavier gauge than when from winch to trailer battery - which it won't be in a standard set up. If you want an in-vehicle socket it will need to be wired in with a much heavier gauge cable.
:thumbs:
If its anything like my front anchor winch its gonna fry all the electrics in the car :eek: ....Ive got 25mm2 cable for mine, and Im pretty sure any decent trailer winch will be looking at close to the same spec.
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

royboy
Perch
Perch

Post by royboy » Thu Mar 14 2019 17:35

Good job I asked , expensive mistake to make :pale:

Thanks for the tip lads , looks like its back to manual labour :laughs: :laughs:

Or carry a spare battery in the car ?

billymac
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by billymac » Thu Mar 14 2019 18:52

Might be worth investing in some extra rollers on the trailer, give the boat a bit of an easier ride.

I renewed mine last year surprising the difference it made, also keeping the rollers well lubed up.......every little helps !!

Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey » Thu Mar 14 2019 22:09

royboy wrote:
Looking for info for an electric winch for my trailer .
Will be using it on a heavy 16`Alumacraft with a Pega Trailer ...

Anyone have first hand experience and can recommend one ?

Rgds, Pat
Pat

Here's a photo of my winch, for a Marcraft 535 on Pega trailer. Wouldn't be without it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z27w1cthuxxmw ... 0.jpg?dl=0

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Thu Mar 14 2019 22:40

Looks the business. What size battery do you run that off?

royboy
Perch
Perch

Post by royboy » Thu Mar 14 2019 22:50

Nice one Ian , is that one available locally ? doubt it !

Do you still have the manual winch fitted , as a back up?

Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey » Thu Mar 14 2019 23:55

royboy wrote:
Nice one Ian , is that one available locally ? doubt it !

Do you still have the manual winch fitted , as a back up?
Got it from Holland as part of the package. And no, don't have a manual, despite asking for a winch that had an over-ride :roll: ... If you're investing I'd ensure you have that feature.
Touch wood, it's never let me down. If the battery was stolen, I'd just use one from the boat so no worries there. It really does make life that bit easier, I would recommend one.

Ian

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Fri Mar 15 2019 10:12

Plenty of good quality rollers, a well cushioned bow guide a bit of grease and learn to run it straight up.

Neville Fickling
Zander
Zander

Post by Neville Fickling » Fri Mar 15 2019 10:42

I’ve had one of those £59 winch’s for 3 years. Slow but does job. I balance battery on front of trailer. So far not fallen off

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Fri Mar 15 2019 11:05

Or stop faffing about and buy a roller bunk conversion from me about £300

£300 I'D SOONER STAND UP TO MY WAST/CHEST IN WATER AND LINE THE BOAT UP :whatever: :scratch:
P1020096.JPG

Grant :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :smile:

Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey » Fri Mar 15 2019 19:25

Mike J wrote:
Plenty of good quality rollers, a well cushioned bow guide a bit of grease and learn to run it straight up.
Spot-on for my most rigs Mike. Mine however weighs over 1.5 ton when fully loaded. The electric earns it's corn when loading on a 45 degree slope with a force 7 howling crosswind over a huge lough. And yeah, I probably am getting soft in my dotage :madmick:

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Sat Mar 16 2019 05:02

Fordey wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Spot-on for my most rigs Mike. Mine however weighs over 1.5 ton when fully loaded. The electric earns it's corn when loading on a 45 degree slope with a force 7 howling crosswind over a huge lough. And yeah, I probably am getting soft in my dotage :madmick:
Think Ive a few more years before I think of getting an electric winch...........never had any issue with the 2 speed one on my trailer :wink: . I have though "upgraded" my keel rollers and put needle roller bearings on all the spindles, instead of the sleeve fitted as standard..much smoother "ride" on and off...!

What axel are you running on your trailer Ian?

I checked my set up on a weight bridge last year when I was having issue's with Andre. The original axel was a 1350kg but the boat and trailer were coming in at 1270kg dry. Then add the full fuel tank and anchors/mud weights etc.
I bought a new 1500kg axel from Pega and upgraded it as it was too close to comfort for my liking.

Its surprising how much "extra" we load into the boat when add it all up....... :wink:

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Sat Mar 16 2019 09:15

OftenBlank wrote:
I used one of those to drag the boat and trailer up a gravel slip before I got a 4X4 :thumbs:

I had to have ear plugs in :eek:

Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :smile:

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Sat Mar 16 2019 20:00

Crackoff wrote:
OftenBlank wrote:
I used one of those to drag the boat and trailer up a gravel slip before I got a 4X4 :thumbs:

I had to have ear plugs in :eek:

Aye, I had in mind of those occasions when I want to keep the 4x4 on the slip and use the winch to pull the boat/ trailer across soft sand. Be cheaper to launch around the appropriate tides :thumbs:

Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey » Sat Mar 16 2019 22:12

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Fordey wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Think Ive a few more years before I think of getting an electric winch...........never had any issue with the 2 speed one on my trailer :wink: . I have though "upgraded" my keel rollers and put needle roller bearings on all the spindles, instead of the sleeve fitted as standard..much smoother "ride" on and off...!

I checked my set up on a weight bridge last year when I was having issue's with Andre. The original axel was a 1350kg but the boat and trailer were coming in at 1270kg dry. Then add the full fuel tank and anchors/mud weights etc.
I bought a new 1500kg axel from Pega and upgraded it as it was too close to comfort for my liking.

Its surprising how much "extra" we load into the boat when add it all up....... :wink:
Karl, I never even thought of the axle :pale: Assumed it was over- rated ,as it should be? Mine is around 1500 kg unloaded, but add mud weights (35 kg + 25 kg), two cheyne anchors and 40' chain, 500' of wet rope, 12+ rods & reels, 20 full lure boxes, etc etc. I got a bigger fuel tank installed, 90 litres, so another 85 kg or so..

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Yesterday 03:33

Fordey wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Fordey wrote:
Mike J wrote:

Karl, I never even thought of the axle :pale: Assumed it was over- rated ,as it should be? Mine is around 1500 kg unloaded, but add mud weights (35 kg + 25 kg), two cheyne anchors and 40' chain, 500' of wet rope, 12+ rods & reels, 20 full lure boxes, etc etc. I got a bigger fuel tank installed, 90 litres, so another 85 kg or so..
I'm guessing you've got the 1800kg axel Ian.
With everything you've got loaded in there I'd be surprised if you weren't getting close to that max weight.

Not sure if Pega do anything bigger than the 1800? I think once you start to go above that its a twin axel trailer to take it to 3 1/2 ton...