Lithium leisure batteries

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Lithium leisure batteries

Post by Duncan Holmes » Mon Apr 15 2019 21:56

Anyone using them?

I pulled the trigger today on a 100ah, having killed my agm this winter by being stupid and draining it too low after forgetting the plug the charger in the night before.

I should get a 30% increase in power for a 40% weight saving.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Lithium leisure batteries

Post by Dave Horton » Mon Apr 15 2019 22:02

Duncan Holmes wrote:
Anyone using them?

I pulled the trigger today on a 100ah, having killed my agm this winter by being stupid and draining it too low after forgetting the plug the charger in the night before.

I guess the BIG question is what % increase?

(Was the cost please, Dunc, face)

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Mon Apr 15 2019 22:29

Dave Horton wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:
Anyone using them?

Silly money, just over a grand with the charger. I chose a higher spec battery which has a bluetooth battery management system built in so I can monitor what's going on in real time and see if they live up to their claims.

Cycle life suggests £0.50 capital cost per charge, the last agm worked out at £1.40 per charge, but should have been more if I had looked after it better.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Cyprio
Perch
Perch

Post by Cyprio » Mon Apr 15 2019 23:11

:afraid: :laughs:
Will be watching with interest how you get on Duncan.
I have been looking at the Lifos that Steve Moore has on his web link.
I can just get 4 days afloat with my AGM running my Solix 15 but have to manage usage and display brightness
Before it gets to 10volts.
Could do with shedding some weight from the bow as my main (other) battery is 29 kilos another cold winter
And I'm guessing the Deckhand will soon kill it :cry:
How heavy is the one you have gone for?

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Tue Apr 16 2019 07:20

Cyprio wrote:
I can just get 4 days afloat with my AGM running my Solix 15 but have to manage usage and display brightness
Could do with shedding some weight from the bow as my main (other) battery is 29 kilos another cold winter
This is the one I went for

https://www.lifepo4battery.co.uk/collec ... -12v-100ah

Actually it's more like 50% weight saving @ 12.4 kg so a massive jump in amh/kg.

I've been contemplating this for a while, killing the AGM sealed it, i just couldn't bring myself to buy old tech.

My only concern is overnight charging when it is really cold, may have to invest in some heater pads to keep the battery warm enough to charge.

Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub

Post by Alan_dalton » Tue Apr 16 2019 07:47

:eek: lot of dough!!! Spec looks good though!

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Tue Apr 16 2019 08:03

Alan_dalton wrote:
:eek: lot of dough!!! Spec looks good though!
That's what I say every time I sign off a plumbers invoice :grin: :wave:

Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton » Tue Apr 16 2019 08:57

Duncan Holmes wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:
Anyone using them?

Silly money, just over a grand with the charger. I chose a higher spec battery which has a bluetooth battery management system built in so I can monitor what's going on in real time and see if they live up to their claims.

Cycle life suggests £0.50 capital cost per charge, the last agm worked out at £1.40 per charge, but should have been more if I had looked after it better.
Well, there's a thread on the main page if you get what you pay for and let's hope you / we do!

I replaced the Angling Technics standard baitboat battery with a 7-8 times more expensive Lithium one, a couple of years back for the same sort of gains that you mention and I've been delighted with the outcome. More recently I upgraded my baitboat entirely (I'll keep the standard (infact I have 2 now) with some Natty lil all dancing and singing thing that is as light as can be (fits in a rucksack) and runs for literally hours on the 3 tiny and lightweight batteries I have for it.

( I wish you luck face)
Last edited by Dave Horton on Wed Apr 17 2019 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Wed Apr 17 2019 06:52

Duncan Holmes wrote:
Cyprio wrote:

Actually it's more like 50% weight saving @ 12.4 kg so a massive jump in amh/kg.

I've been contemplating this for a while, killing the AGM sealed it, i just couldn't bring myself to buy old tech.

My only concern is overnight charging when it is really cold, may have to invest in some heater pads to keep the battery warm enough to charge.
:eek: :pale:
Business must be good Duncan... :wink:

£1500 to replace my 250amph battery............. :pale: don't think Ill be changing it anytime soon then.

It is a weight reduction of 50% though. But I think Ill stick with "old tech" at a 3rd of the price.....for the time being anyway. :wink:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Wed Apr 17 2019 13:00

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:
Cyprio wrote:

:eek: :pale:
Business must be good Duncan... :wink:

£1500 to replace my 250amph battery............. :pale: don't think Ill be changing it anytime soon then.

It is a weight reduction of 50% though. But I think Ill stick with "old tech" at a 3rd of the price.....for the time being anyway. :wink:
Business is good :thumbs: and businesses are also good for buying "UPS" batteries, which obviously softens the blow a little.

It arrived yesterday, and I am impressed so far, will run it over the weekend on the data logger to check the accuracy of the inbuilt BMS, before I fit it in to my camo "UPS" system.

Sad as I am, it actually weighs 12.2kg and I am expecting 95ah's (usable power) at 12v and above, which is roughly the same usable as a 200AH SLA or 160Ah AGM.

So I am expecting the lithium to have a usable power density of 7.8 Ah/kg, my old AGM when new had a usable power of 60Ah, weighing in at around 26kg, power density 2.3 Ah/kg.

Arrived at 60% charge and the fast charger got it to 100% in just over an hour, my ctek would have taken 8 hours to supply the same charge.

It has a claimed 2000 cycle life, but even if I get half of that it should see me through to micro hydrogen or whatever tech is coming next.

Cyprio
Perch
Perch

Post by Cyprio » Wed Apr 17 2019 14:19

Can’t beat a little UPS laundry :rtfm: :laughs:
Must be for the mobile office :wink:
If the server is about to go down can you put me and Karl down for one.
We’ll buy the chargers direct if that would help tidy the paperwork. :clown:

Impressive charge times would make my longer trips easier plus a reason “four” a couple of Woodforde’s finest :gulp:

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Wed Apr 17 2019 14:32

Cyprio wrote:

Impressive charge times would make my longer trips easier plus a reason “four” a couple of Woodforde’s finest :gulp:
I like your way of thinking there Andy :thumbs:

I’m thinking the security system could do with a backup for the backup :shrug: :laughs:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

Tony McTaggart
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Tony McTaggart » Wed Apr 17 2019 15:20

So how does it work lol...
Why doesn't it drain as fast etc
I've read about the musky guys getting twice the length of time I get using an agm 22ah for the finder ?

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Wed Apr 17 2019 19:04

Tony McTaggart wrote:
So how does it work lol...
Why doesn't it drain as fast etc
I've read about the musky guys getting twice the length of time I get using an agm 22ah for the finder ?
Completely different chemistry in a lithium cell, means you can remove more of the stored energy without damaging the cell.

You can charge it faster as well without damage, my new charger is 40amps, typically lead acid is charged at 5amps.

And lithium is about 20 x lighter than lead.

Take a look at the battery university website.

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Wed Apr 17 2019 19:10

Cyprio wrote:

Well as far as the office is concerned, my floating office is uninterruptable. :grin:

Tony McTaggart
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Tony McTaggart » Thu Apr 18 2019 15:06

Thanks Duncan.