8ft porta bote

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
tomgrim
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

8ft porta bote

Post by tomgrim » Sun Dec 01 2019 20:41

Any body got any experience with the porta botes? I've seen an 8ft model for sale but not sure if it's big enough for fishing from? Be mostly on my own, maybe 1 other person occasionally

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Re: 8ft porta bote

Post by Mattjb » Sun Dec 01 2019 21:24

I've had a 12 footer for about 12 years now , 8ft would be a very tight squeeze for two. I fish with a mate most of the time and even in the 12 footer we have to be fairly tidy to fish effectively . I can lift the bote on and off the van on my own and put it together , launch etc but I'd say I'm a fairly strong bloke so if you opt for a 12ft you may want to take the handling of it into consideration.
Hopefully someone who has had one of the smaller models will be along to let you know what they think.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Sun Dec 01 2019 23:03

Any 8ft boat will be tight for 1 person plus gear and only suitable on small sheltered waters. 2 people in an 8ft'er could probably be classed as dangerous.

lakefisher
Roach
Roach

Post by lakefisher » Mon Dec 02 2019 00:27

Like Matt I've had a 12 footer for many years, using it both solo and accompanied with a fishing partner. -
Splendid "bote" that it is, I wouldn't recommend anything as small as the 8 foot for two people. I,d say the only safe use of the 8 foot would be as a tender, to take you a short distance from shore to a bigger boat, but only then in calm water.

HTH .... Tony

Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk » Mon Dec 02 2019 10:19

I started with a 10' portabote with 2 in and moved up to a 12' which was a big improvement. I drive a shogun and had to drop to a 10' as I struggle to lift and balance a 12' onto the roof rack alone, the 10' can be awkward some mornings but that's the disadvantage of getting older.
To be honest I don't think the 8' would be much good to fish from, even alone as it would be cramped and not as stable as you would like. There's a marked improvement between the 10' and a 12' so I would expect a similar difference between the 10' and 8'.
They are good boats by the way, once you get used to the wobbly floor and obviously are much easier than a rigid boat to store as you don't need a trailer.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Post by Mattjb » Mon Dec 02 2019 11:27

Esoxuk wrote:
I started with a 10' portabote with 2 in and moved up to a 12' which was a big improvement. I drive a shogun and had to drop to a 10' as I struggle to lift and balance a 12' onto the roof rack alone, the 10' can be awkward some mornings but that's the disadvantage of getting older.
To be honest I don't think the 8' would be much good to fish from, even alone as it would be cramped and not as stable as you would like. There's a marked improvement between the 10' and a 12' so I would expect a similar difference between the 10' and 8'.
They are good boats by the way, once you get used to the wobbly floor and obviously are much easier than a rigid boat to store as you don't need a trailer.
I leave the middle seat out and drop a carpeted ply floor in between front and rear seat, makes a big difference when you are fishing all day even though it's something else to carry around.
It's warmer on the feet when it's cold and also stops your bags etc all sliding into the middle.
Another mod worth doing is a bow piece with anchor roller and cleat, makes life easier.
As you say very easy to store a bote, I keep the hull on spur shelving right up by the garage ceiling.