Sanding and coating wood ?

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Sanding and coating wood ?

Post by Biggthepool » Thu Mar 26 2020 09:51

As the title says since I bought my Irish style lough boat I haven’t treated the wood ( 1 1/2 years) the last person has painted the wood and it’s starting to look grim so plan is to sand it all back and redo it what’s your opinions on the best paint or varnish??

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Re: Sanding and coating wood ?

Post by Mike J » Thu Mar 26 2020 10:00

I envy you.
Probably one of the best boats for trolling on the oars ever designed.

See Grant, he's your man on boat restoration.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Thu Mar 26 2020 10:54

International varnish is very good, sell loads of it in my shop👍

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Thu Mar 26 2020 12:09

Hi si would you have a link for that and also would any off you guys know we’re I can get these fittings or what there called ?
D7B4E179-7287-4C9F-BB78-E3EE395E7147.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Thu Mar 26 2020 12:33

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Internati ... gJd6fD_BwE

If you want something really good look at the international perfection two part varnish👍

royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy » Thu Mar 26 2020 13:21

Biggthepool wrote:
Hi si would you have a link for that and also would any off you guys know we’re I can get these fittings or what there called ?

D7B4E179-7287-4C9F-BB78-E3EE395E7147.png
[/quot

G or C Clamps ? , any hardware shop .... or am I looking at the wrong thing ?

royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy » Thu Mar 26 2020 13:23

G or C Clamps ? , any hardware shop .... or am I looking at the wrong thing ?

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Thu Mar 26 2020 13:45

Wrong thing it’s the brass fitting over the gunnels to the left off the clamp 😂😂

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Thu Mar 26 2020 19:11

What about cutting sheet brass or Ali and bending it to suit?

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Thu Mar 26 2020 21:17

I would Matt but I wouldn’t have the first clue or equipment to do it

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Wed Apr 01 2020 09:57

suffolk si wrote:
https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Internati ... gJd6fD_BwE

If you want something really good look at the international perfection two part varnish👍
Don’t mean to be a nonsense but also wanting to paint inside off boat again any idea what be the best paint to buy to paint over what’s on at the minute?

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Wed Apr 01 2020 20:43

Your not going to believe this but my nextdoor neighbour coats his heavy-duty wooden fence in cooking oil and has done it for the last 4 years after a few weeks the smell gos and it darkens the wood and is not sticky to the touch. :thumbs:

I was telling my mate just after my neighbour did his fence and he said thats a good idea and he did his boat in it. :scratch:

3 years on and he says its brill no need to sand the boat down and repaint or varnish he just gets it out of the water lets it dry a bit then redcoats it inside and out :thumbs:

If I had a wooden boat thats what I would do :wink:

Grant :smile:
Last edited by Crackoff on Wed Apr 01 2020 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Wed Apr 01 2020 21:02

Again I’d go international for topside of boat, hempel stuff not bad eithe, multicoat is good seller ,has primer already in it too which could be handy if you’re painting on top of an existing coat👍

Brian Carragher
Roach
Roach

Post by Brian Carragher » Wed Apr 01 2020 22:08

if the top coat varnish is coming off you tend to get those black horrible stains creeping under the varnish and it looks awful, once you get the boat sanded down and rid of the varnish, give it a real good coat of linseed oil a 50/50 mix diluted down with white spirit, once thats gone in give it as much pure linseed oil as it'll take and it'll take a few coats, makes a real difference to the timber especially when you top coat it with varnish

Use oil based varnish and oil based paints for inside the boat, keep off the water based stuff, it just isnt up to the job, Johnsons, Dulux, Armstead all good paints but we used to use a lot of Valspar oil based paints when painting up, sticks like s**t to a blanket

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Wed Apr 01 2020 23:15

Si I was going to go international paint for it all wood skin varnish for wood toplac for inside and inter deck for the floor

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Wed Apr 01 2020 23:30

All good paints , sell lots of all of them👍You can also add grains/sand etc to interdeck if you want for extra grip as it’s doesn’t come with any in, up to you👍
Top lac is really nice paint, I painted the shops shelves in it( didn’t tell the owner though and used a bit of thinner) shop around a bit you should be able to get toplac and interdeck for £25-28 ish per tin

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Thu Apr 02 2020 09:05

suffolk si wrote:
All good paints , sell lots of all of them👍You can also add grains/sand etc to interdeck if you want for extra grip as it’s doesn’t come with any in, up to you👍
Top lac is really nice paint, I painted the shops shelves in it( didn’t tell the owner though and used a bit of thinner) shop around a bit you should be able to get toplac and interdeck for £25-28 ish per tin
Thanks for the info Si appreciated 👍👍 one more thing what would you recommend for removing the brown fouling on underside off boat tried few different things bleach etc to no affail?

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Thu Apr 02 2020 09:55

Hard work and a pressure washer, I wouldn’t recommend internationals inter strip it’s their worst product in my opinion. Removing anti foul is a pig of a job sometimes, don’t know if any shortcuts, have heard of people using patio cleaner but not tried it myself

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Thu Apr 02 2020 10:19

Yea it’s more like a staining pig off a thing is right thanks Si👍

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Thu Apr 02 2020 11:45

Crackoff wrote:
Your not going to believe this but my nextdoor neighbour coats his heavy-duty wooden fence in cooking oil and has done it for the last 4 years after a few weeks the smell gos and it darkens the wood and is not sticky to the touch. :thumbs:

I was telling my mate just after my neighbour did his fence and he said thats a good idea and he did his boat in it. :scratch:

3 years on and he says its brill no need to sand the boat down and repaint or varnish he just gets it out of the water lets it dry a bit then redcoats it inside and out :thumbs:

If I had a wooden boat thats what I would do :wink:

Grant :smile:

My garden seat has only ever been treated with cooking oil, 13years old, outside and uncovered 7/12/365 and not a hint of rot anywhere.

In the more southern countries it is common to use cooking oil for any wood on a boat, even teak decks get the same treatment, far better than the expensive offerings if you dont mind the wood being a little darker.

Adding chilli to paint to make 100% antifouling and wood soaked in Diesel to stop Termites eating your house or furniture are other dodges that save money.

I melt offcuts of roofing felt in Creosote and old engine oil to protect anything going in the ground, last much longer than anything bought commercially.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Thu Apr 02 2020 12:39

Genuinely cooking oil? Does it really protect to the same extent as varnish , I would have thought it would saturate more into the wood? Obviously I won’t be telling my customers 🤣

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Thu Apr 02 2020 13:29

suffolk si wrote:
Genuinely cooking oil? Does it really protect to the same extent as varnish , I would have thought it would saturate more into the wood? Obviously I won’t be telling my customers 🤣

Here you are Si just took it for you.
The back of my garden bench after its 3rd winter following cooking oil treatment.
Yes the oil soaks in, it could be used within a few days and there is no smell.

IMG_2004.JPG

For those interested;
Flora Sunflower, apx 1/2pint, brushed on until it stops soaking in.

:thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Wed Apr 08 2020 17:20

suffolk si wrote:
Si need bit of advice I painted boat today but I don’t think I will have quite enuff for the 2nd coat is there anything I can add to try and get bit more to finish it. Personal don’t want spend £25+ plus postage for another tin that will only probably need a third out off

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Wed Apr 08 2020 17:23

You can get an international thinner ,will work out cheaper I can’t remember what one it is for to toplac, I think it’s number 3, should tell you on their website though, if it’s not on the tin👍

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Wed Apr 08 2020 18:07

suffolk si wrote:
You can get an international thinner ,will work out cheaper I can’t remember what one it is for to toplac, I think it’s number 3, should tell you on their website though, if it’s not on the tin👍

Thanks again Si will have look on there website. Do you think normal paint thinners would work as I already have some in the shed ?

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Wed Apr 08 2020 18:12

Probably but I always say follow manufacturers instructions and they say stick with their own brand👍Others on here may be able to shed light on this?...

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Wed Apr 08 2020 18:24

Ok hopefully so and thank you