For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
chrisdonna
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Brand new outboards.

Post by chrisdonna » Tue May 12 2020 17:07

Daniel,
A fair point.
My experience is a bit different as I had a 15 horse Honda which struggled to plane quickly and it took about 50 yards to get up. I only had my equipment and no additional gear so I decided to get a 20 horse so as to get on plane quicker.
It made no difference at all so I eventually bought a 40 horse and it now planes before I turn the engine on. Bloody good those Honda`s.
I hope your new engine does the trick for you.
Chris Donovan

Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel » Tue May 12 2020 18:09

JackHunter wrote:
I had a 12ft sea nymph with a 6hp 2 stroke Mariner and I could get up on the plane when I was on my own and I could leave it on the boat.
If you are set on removing it I would go with an 8hp 4 stroke. But TBH if I still had a Nymph I would get the biggest outboard you can leave on the boat.
Leaving any engine on the boat is not an option, at all, ever.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Tue May 12 2020 18:28

Slightly off topic but I thought this might be of interest. I'm toying with buying a boat and youtube leads you down avenues.

I've just watched the playlist about restoring an Evinrude 150

I don't have a nickname :roll:

dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run » Tue May 12 2020 21:04

If you’ve got a two stroke lying about Daniel, Tohatsu are doing a scrappage scheme with money off a new engine apparently.

I heard it second hand but it’s worth looking for anyone into if it results in some money off
James Dobie.

Quagmire62
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Quagmire62 » Tue May 12 2020 21:39

I’ve got a Tohatsu 9.9 electric start on my 14’ ally boat. It’s fixed permanently on the back and only comes off for a warranty service.

It’s very heavy and I wouldn’t want to get it on and off each time I took the boat out. I’m quite fit, but as someone said earlier, all you have to do is slip carrying it and both your back and engine could go. Before I had a little 2 stoke 4hp Mariner which was very light, just not powerful enough.

Boats......it’s always a compromise 😃

sebshelton
Perch
Perch

Post by sebshelton » Tue May 12 2020 22:33

Daniel, just a thought....how old is your 4hp? Have you had it from new? Do you know it’s history?
My first outboard was a fairly old Honda 5hp. Eventually I changed it for a new Mercury 4hp which was noticeably more powerful than the ageing Honda despite being 1 HP less. Maybe a new Honda 5 or 6 at 27kgs would do the job if your current motor is shagged.

trickyh
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by trickyh » Wed May 13 2020 06:24

We run 10 and 15hp 4st Hondas at my sailing club on the heavy rotomoulded safety boats, and there is negligible difference between them. Both plane well , super quiet and smooth gear selection. These engines get abused week in week out by loads of different operators and rarely give trouble.

One thing to note is that 9.9 and 15hp are usually exactly the same motor with a restrictor fitted to comply with common us lake laws. I wouldn't bother with a 4hp in a 12ft+ on a river unless there is negligible current.

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben » Wed May 13 2020 09:15

Suzuki or Honda for me, I wouldn’t have anything else.

Personal preference is for Suzuki because I find them a little quieter, I think Honda’s have a very distinct engine resonance that I’m not keen on. I am being extremely fussy saying that though.
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

chrisdonna
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by chrisdonna » Wed May 13 2020 14:29

Ben,
A bit off topic but Phil Pearson had 40 HP Suzuki and one morning he couldn`t start if on Upper Lough Mask.
When he stripped it down he found that the piston bores were too close together and the overnight frost and water still in the engine block it had cracked between the piston bores due to expansion.
Never heard of this before or since and it may have been a problem with just that model.
Chris Donovan

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Wed May 13 2020 20:05

I bought the 9.8 Tohatsu for my 12’ sea nymph and to be honest I thought it was too heavy for the boat.

I now have a 15 Tohatsu on my Seastrike.

Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel » Thu May 14 2020 08:34

Cheers for the opinions.
To be honest, I don't consider 40-45 kg to be that heavy, I regularly fit stone cills and heads that weigh more with no bother.
I think I'll have a trip to a dealer when I'm able and see how manageable they are.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Thu May 14 2020 11:06

The sea nymph in 12’ can take a 10hp engine.
I just did t think the transom was strong enough or gunwales high enough to take it.
I certainly wouldn’t risk towing it with it in place, I’ll dig out a photo of it fitted.
I found with a 5hp engine, battery, minn Kota and fuel tank the boat would of almost sunk with extra weight at the back end.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Thu May 14 2020 11:07

D7549319-6CB9-4358-BDF1-E3C65CABE61A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Thu May 14 2020 11:24

I found the nymph was better suited to a very light 5ho 2 stroke engine.
22BFFA54-52CA-42BD-A588-7A92A1A14604.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu May 14 2020 12:46

Daniel wrote:
Cheers for the opinions.
To be honest, I don't consider 40-45 kg to be that heavy, I regularly fit stone cills and heads that weigh more with no bother.
I think I'll have a trip to a dealer when I'm able and see how manageable they are.
You're right Dan, that weight in itself is no big deal for someone fit and healthy, but an outboard of that weight is one very awkward lump of machinery, no matter how fit and strong you are. Depending on how often you lug it around and in and out of the back of a car in shitty or slippery conditions will determine how soon you get sick of it.

Biggthepool
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Biggthepool » Thu May 14 2020 13:07

Daniel wrote:
Cheers for the opinions.
Iam a big lad Daniel and I purchased my 10hp Honda and thought be no problem but as I carry from back off jeep to boat etc it’s not just the weight it’s how awkward I find it to carry but if can deal with abit of awkwardness brilliant engine

Paddy_R
Perch
Perch

Post by Paddy_R » Thu May 14 2020 14:10

shoulder.PNG
Throw it up on your shoulder. Leaves hands free to carry all the tackle. :tongues: :hammer:
A wise man once said nothing

Carlperkins
Zander
Zander

Post by Carlperkins » Thu May 14 2020 19:35

I had a 6hp 2 stroke on my sea nymph
Pushed it along well enough
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

mike thomson
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by mike thomson » Sat May 23 2020 19:40

BillCollins wrote:
Cod wrote:
BillCollins wrote:
Cod wrote:
8hp 4 stroke weight is 91lbs, 9.9hp 4 stroke 108lbs, both Mercury.

According to google face.
Dunno where Google got that from. According to the Mercury website they're both 38kg, which is to be expected as they're the same unit.
Seeing as 9.9hp from Mariner, Mercury, Yamaha and Tohatsu all use the same power unit, made by Tohatsu, the most practical thing to do will be to get the best deal you can locally as no matter which of those brands you buy, you're buying the same engine which is an excellent motor.
Agree with all that Bill, still a lot of weight to move about on a wet slippery river bank every fishing trip.

Shame Dan is unable to leave it on his boat.
Same as that, I have a 9.9 Yam on a 12ft'er, I would'nt like to be lifting it on and off every time as it's as much awkward as heavy, so it's bolted on. For practical purposes, something like a Suzuki DF6 is about as much as I'd be pepared to treat as a portable.

Hey Bill,

Is there a good place for outboard servicing over here ? Im also not too far from Carrick.

Cheers

r0bert
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by r0bert » Mon May 25 2020 22:44

I bought a new Honda 6hp 2 months ago from a Honda dealer - with the 6HP as long as you buy Honda oil/parts etc the warranty is fine, you can change oil etc- just keep the receipts. The same dealer also sold Mariner and to keep the warranty right he had to do the services etc so you'll save on the servicing if you are doing it yourself.

Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel » Tue May 26 2020 18:14

r0bert wrote:
I bought a new Honda 6hp 2 months ago from a Honda dealer - with the 6HP as long as you buy Honda oil/parts etc the warranty is fine, you can change oil etc- just keep the receipts. The same dealer also sold Mariner and to keep the warranty right he had to do the services etc so you'll save on the servicing if you are doing it yourself.

Thanks Robert, that's something to remember to ask about.