Tow vehicle wheel bearings

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Al Brown 2
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Tow vehicle wheel bearings

Post by Al Brown 2 » Sat Aug 01 2020 23:09

Hi all, just a thought, stripped down my tow van wheel bearings today as got to 200,000 miles and had a good amount of boat launching with all 4 wheels in water and found rust on spindles and bearings !! There wasn't any noise above usual van n junk but don't think the first 500 mile round trip of the year would have gone too well.

Stewlaws
Perch
Perch

Re: Tow vehicle wheel bearings

Post by Stewlaws » Sun Aug 02 2020 10:59

2 trailers and a caravan yesterday on the M5 with collapsed wheels ... Was on our way to fish Exmouth for mullet on a high tide, last week we came across 1 trailer and 1 caravan, seen a boat being towed with a 15% inward which was enough to see me pull back, also seen a caravan swaying around with an obvious poor weight distribution.... Scary to see as I experienced it once and it ragged the drive vehicle around enough to totally unnerve me ...

Cod
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Cod » Sun Aug 02 2020 11:53

Might be worth looking at why you need your vehicle wheels to enter the water, this sounds like compensation for a trailer launch/retrieve issue.

Good call to carry out the checks on your van face.
Learning is a gift.

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Sun Aug 02 2020 14:12

Cod wrote:
Might be worth looking at why you need your vehicle wheels to enter the water, this sounds like compensation for a trailer launch/retrieve issue.

I try not to even put the trailer wheels in the water if I can get away with it.
Most of the slips round here that I regularly use allow me to do that.

Which reminds me I should probably check the bearings on my trailer.
Out of interest Paul have you had any issues with your PEGA? Mines now 5 yrs old and I’ve never checked the hubs/brakes or bearings ??
Last edited by Edward.P.A.C on Sun Aug 02 2020 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

Cod
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Cod » Sun Aug 02 2020 14:55

I replaced both wheel bearings on mine after 5 years, again after 10 years, they were worn at those intervals. Hubs are still ok, my trailer is un-braked.

Pega trailers have a energised seal on the inside to stop water ingress to the bearing housing, I replace these whenever changing bearings. All parts are available from bearing supplies at St Faiths Norwich, remember to install water proof grease when packing your bearings and use a “bearing packer” to carry out the task.

Any trailers entering the water without “bearing savers” or energised seals will require attention sooner.
Learning is a gift.

Al Brown 2
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Al Brown 2 » Sun Aug 02 2020 22:54

Cod wrote:

Hi, one of the places I fish has a shallow rocky launch area, I use a 10' extension bar between van and trailer, which is a right pain to use, but still have all 4 wheels of van at least half way covered in water, my boat is too big and heavy to push through the rocky area so I'm a bit stuck with having wheels in water. Even took rollers off trailer to lower boat closer to water but still all wheels in water :shrug:

Steve Le maitre
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Le maitre » Mon Aug 03 2020 06:54

When you think of the millions of vehicles that drive through flood water each year you’d of thought that millions of cars would be without wheels ! We worry about submerging or part submerging trailer wheels but in fact that is not the main reasons for bearing failure. Heat - when you drive through floods ( and you don’t really want to do that ) moisture will naturally dissipate with the heat your brakes create and will soon be gone. Trailer hubs are never going to get hot enough to do that, they also don’t get used every day like a car so any moisture left inside the hubs on your trailer will have the opportunity to rust the surface of the bearings and the race so in 3 months time you have surface rust ! Lastly - far too many boat trailers you see are just about adequate for the job, a 750kg rated axel might be legal for what you put on it but the running gear isn’t up to much, it certainly won’t be very well sealed. All you can do is keep an eye on things and keep to a service schedule.

Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk » Mon Aug 03 2020 10:08

Since I've started using real waterproof marine grease my bearing life has improved no end
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

trickyh
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by trickyh » Fri Aug 07 2020 07:17

I also read somewhere ages ago that it's good practice to let the bearings cool before entering the water. My 20 minutes of faffing about prepping the boat is usually enough.

Steve Le maitre
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Le maitre » Fri Aug 07 2020 22:18

trickyh wrote:
I also read somewhere ages ago that it's good practice to let the bearings cool before entering the water. My 20 minutes of faffing about prepping the boat is usually enough.
So they say but that would only apply to a braked trailer.