Boat Choice

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Boat Choice

Post by Mynki » Wed Aug 19 2020 17:13

If you were looking for a boat to fish a water such as Loch Awe, what models would you shortlist and why?

It would be used for trolling for ferox and pike etc.

It would not be lived on.

Thanks in advance.

phil.c
Zander
Zander

Re: Boat Choice

Post by phil.c » Wed Aug 19 2020 17:24

Mynki wrote:
If you were looking for a boat to fish a water such as Loch Awe, what models would you shortlist and why?

Thanks in advance.
You could do worse than buy a ticket to try to win Ben's boat..

£20 and you could win you exactly what you need.. :thumbs:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....

GAVIN H
Barbel
Barbel

Post by GAVIN H » Wed Aug 19 2020 17:44

Apart from Phil C,s answer, an Arran 16 :thumbs:

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Wed Aug 19 2020 18:41

Any of the bigger Marcraft (now Tomasco) Range. The 465,535 and above boats.
As they’re all bespoke you could fit it out to whatever style you fish.

Downside; a long way from being cheap.....
Last edited by Edward.P.A.C on Thu Aug 20 2020 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:00

Orkney 16' Strikelinear. Sit good at anchor, good on the drift or the 16' Orkney Fastlinear. Both troll in a straight line if you don't have a cuddy.

If it cuts up ruff they will get you home at a bit of speed.

As Gav says the Arran 16' or the 16' Orkney Longliner but they are chuggers.

All can be handled on there own with a good trailer.

Grant :smile:
Last edited by Crackoff on Wed Aug 19 2020 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

Steve Le maitre
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Le maitre » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:01

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Any of the bigger Marcraft (now Tomaco) Range. The 465,535 and above boats.

Wow, at this very moment the poor lad is contemplating 10yrs overtime (it will be worth it ! ) not being able to take the wife on holiday ( it will be worth it ! ) cycling to work to save on travel expenses ( it will be worth it !) no going down the pub with the lads, it’s only for 10 years ! ( it will be worth it !) £30.000 on a boat & motor :afraid:

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:05

Steve Le maitre wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:

Wow, at this very moment the poor lad is contemplating 10yrs overtime (it will be worth it ! ) not being able to take the wife on holiday ( it will be worth it ! ) cycling to work to save on travel expenses ( it will be worth it !) no going down the pub with the lads, it’s only for 10 years ! ( it will be worth it !) £30.000 on a boat & motor :afraid:
Oi Steve don't Po Po Carls boat its a good one and if you can afford it why not you can't take it with you :wink:

Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

Steve Le maitre
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Le maitre » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:07

.....and Grant will agree...... you definitely won’t be able to afford any Wine gums :grin:

Steve Le maitre
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Le maitre » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:08

Crackoff wrote:
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:

Oi Steve don't Po Po Carls boat its a good one and if you can afford it why not you can't take it with you :wink:

He does take it with him......... about 18mpg :lol:

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:11

Steve Le maitre wrote:
Crackoff wrote:
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:

At least he takes it out :rasp: :laughs:

Grant Everson

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:16

The orkney range are great trolling boats. Strikeliner, Longerliner, Day Angler - all models worth looking at. Pick one up used and be prepared to do some work on it and it needn't cost an arm and a leg. Awe is very rocky in parts and GRP boats are easy to repair yourself. All the orkney models mentioned are fine on relatively small engines.

Steve Le maitre
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Le maitre » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:22

Crackoff wrote:
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Crackoff wrote:
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:

At least he takes it out :rasp: :laughs:

Surly that’s not normal :geek:

Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:40

There is a lot more information you could give us which would help us to better advise you, i.e. price range, are you fishing alone or will there be more than just yourself onboard, do you want a fast boat or a plodder ?
The best advice I could give you is write out a list of specifications and requirements of what you require from a boat and work from there via a process of elimination, what you will be left with will be the most suitable boat for you and hopefully be within your price range.

Displacement or deep hulled boats make for excellent trolling boats, however they do not get you from A to B very quickly if that is important to you, I would recommend that you go upto the boat yard at Awe and have a look at some of the excellent boats up there, and see if any of them fit the bill and suit your requirements.
Remember this though, boats are inevitably a compromise if you only have one :thumbs: .

PM me if you would like any more info on the boat yard.

Will.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:41

phil.c wrote:
Mynki wrote:

Thanks in advance.
You could do worse than buy a ticket to try to win Ben's boat..

£20 and you could win you exactly what you need.. :thumbs:
I wouldn't be comfortable in anything but Ben's boat or a boat that's equally as big and stable. Awe actually scares the s***e out of me more than any other water where a boat is concerned. I'd feel like I was out in the sea on a raft with one them marcraft boats :laughs:
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Wed Aug 19 2020 22:56

I genuinely think Karl’s boat is one of the most stable I’ve been on👍

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Wed Aug 19 2020 23:02

suffolk si wrote:
I dont doubt it mate it's a belter of a boat. I'm not a fan of the height of the sides is what I meant 🙈
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Aug 20 2020 12:55

Andrew Croft wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
I dont doubt it mate it's a belter of a boat. I'm not a fan of the height of the sides is what I meant 🙈
think you'll find the height of the freeboard on the Marcraft are about the same as Bens crofty, maybe a little higher.... :wink:

And the beam is probably a tad wider at 2.2mtrs

Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins » Thu Aug 20 2020 15:37

F5F8F7DC-5C6F-4CD1-B852-6EC73C2151D2.jpeg
Croftys new tattoo 😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Well Well Well Enoch..........
It seams you were right after all

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Aug 20 2020 17:41

:eek: :stir:

oooh Perky you are naughty :laughs:

c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Post by c14r4n » Thu Aug 20 2020 23:18

Interesting no one has jumped on the water naming on this thread 🤔

Anyway, cuddy boats are useless for trolling on big waters..... Much, much harder to control than an open boat.

Just make sure you have the right permits.....

Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki » Sun Aug 23 2020 09:38

Will Smith wrote:
There is a lot more information you could give us which would help us to better advise you, i.e. price range, are you fishing alone or will there be more than just yourself onboard, do you want a fast boat or a plodder ?
The best advice I could give you is write out a list of specifications and requirements of what you require from a boat and work from there via a process of elimination, what you will be left with will be the most suitable boat for you and hopefully be within your price range.

Displacement or deep hulled boats make for excellent trolling boats, however they do not get you from A to B very quickly if that is important to you, I would recommend that you go upto the boat yard at Awe and have a look at some of the excellent boats up there, and see if any of them fit the bill and suit your requirements.
Remember this though, boats are inevitably a compromise if you only have one :thumbs: .

Will.
Thanks to all who offered positive feedback.

Will you raise a good point. I did supply a lack of detail. There would be two anglers likely onboard. A plodder would suffice. It's my understanding that a couple of the models are only rated to a 15hp outboard anyway.

I've just spent a few days on Awe. The boatyard is closed due to some fatality that occured last year at least for boat hire they are only open for private launch right now. I did manage to rent a boat from our hotel a mile down the road but they were far from ideal for trolling!

I'd be looking at a small budget of around £6k to £8k so it would be a used boat. Happy to plod and troll along the water. A cuddy would be ideal as I've had first hand experience as to how bad the weather can be in that part of the world many times. That's really about it. Obviously a trailer, reliable engine and ease of launch are all important considerations. And a decent fish finder too.

Sorry I'm no expert as you can tell! :)

Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith » Sun Aug 23 2020 11:00

PM for you fella.

Will.

Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki » Sun Aug 23 2020 12:33

Will Smith wrote:
PM for you fella.

Will.
Replied and thank you.

Skipper
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Skipper » Tue Sep 22 2020 15:57

I use an Orkney 440 on Loch Lomond, tiler steering, folding cuddy and no centre thwart. Light, stable and quite nippy with the 20hp on the stern. Been caught in a bit of rough stuff and no issues...so far.
[img]

Firstpastthepost
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Firstpastthepost » Sat Oct 17 2020 23:07

I used to have an Orkney 440 with a 15hp on remotes with a cuddy... perfect for on there imo... Could handle some of the rough stuff as well

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Sun Oct 18 2020 08:52

Mynki wrote:
Will Smith wrote:

Will.
Thanks to all who offered positive feedback.

Will you raise a good point. I did supply a lack of detail. There would be two anglers likely onboard. A plodder would suffice. It's my understanding that a couple of the models are only rated to a 15hp outboard anyway.

I've just spent a few days on Awe. The boatyard is closed due to some fatality that occured last year at least for boat hire they are only open for private launch right now. I did manage to rent a boat from our hotel a mile down the road but they were far from ideal for trolling!

I'd be looking at a small budget of around £6k to £8k so it would be a used boat. Happy to plod and troll along the water. A cuddy would be ideal as I've had first hand experience as to how bad the weather can be in that part of the world many times. That's really about it. Obviously a trailer, reliable engine and ease of launch are all important considerations. And a decent fish finder too.

Sorry I'm no expert as you can tell! :)
Then I'd defo go for an Orkney 16' Strikelinear or the 16' Orkney Fastliner :thumbs:

I had an Orkney 16' Strikelinear with a 25hp outboard on the other big Scottish water for over 4 years and did all that was needed of it.

Did you make a dissuasion as to what you're getting?

Grant Everson

John Dinnewell
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John Dinnewell » Tue Oct 20 2020 15:34

Highly recommned the Warrior range of boats for the bigger waters such as Lomond and Awe, we use the 150 model with 50hp. Very fast, stable and easy to launch and retrieve by yourself.
For the rivers/ we use Seastrike 14ft Semi flat.
Hope this helps.

Lukemilnes
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Lukemilnes » Tue Oct 20 2020 22:33

Bit of a curve ball but we've just upgraded to a seahog Alaska 500xl (seahog are the newer model over Orkney). Great boat with allot of deck space, decent cuddy, can pick em up a bit cheaper than the warriors and predators so around your price range. ours has a 50hp tohatsu 2 stroke and does 30mph. Not in the lakes tho lol.

We've had her out to sea aswell and she handled some big swells.

Worth a look what's about all the boats mentioned are good boats.

Luke