Roof top boat transportation

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
rich
Roach
Roach

Roof top boat transportation

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 16:37

Any input appreciated,
I'm considering ditching the trailer in favour of roof top transportation if it's a viable method, and was wondering if anyone is familiar with some kind of bonnet aid or possibly an extension to support/prop the front overhang of a 13ft aluminium boat on a 3dr freelander with a short roof rack?
I've looked around but can't find anything suitable or even if such a device exists..

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Roof top boat transportation

Post by Duncan Holmes » Thu Oct 29 2020 17:57

Rich,

I used to roof top a 10ft sniper many years ago, that was relatively easy.

Had it on top of Mondeo and VW Golf with no issues.

I can imagine that roof toping my 12ft Sea Strike would become very tedious very quickly.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Thu Oct 29 2020 18:04

I wouldn’t fancy it tbh. Is the trailer really that much of a pain?

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 18:47

suffolk si wrote:
I wouldn’t fancy it tbh. Is the trailer really that much of a pain?
Cheers duncan..I'm thinking it may be the lesser of two evils si..
it's a bit of a head ache trailering around some of the very narrow country lanes on route anticipating traffic with reluctant driver's and little or no room to reverse to a passing point half a mile back, also the oncoming blind corner lunatics have just narrowly missed the trailered boat a few times so thought it would maybe make life easier if I could find a way to roof top it.
.it's a Linder 400 sportsman and at 125 kilo is relatively lightweight, I'm hoping with the addition of some transom mounted wheels for maneuverability i can slide it up and on, but it's the excessive frontal overhang unsupported that concerns me..

Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins » Thu Oct 29 2020 18:55

I would try and man handle 125kg on the roof before you get rid of said trailer
Well Well Well Enoch..........
It seams you were right after all

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:05

Carlperkins wrote:
I would try and man handle 125kg on the roof before you get rid of said trailer
This fella made it look easy..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:11

👍I agree with Carl, 125 kg is a fair weight to move about ( ironically that’s the same weight as my overhead press pb in the gym!). I had access to a private broad last year with a 14ft seastrike already on the bank and getting than in and out without a slip way nearly killed me🤣 . The overhang would worry me tooif I’m being honest. Obviously you know your access but I wouldn’t want to be putting something that weight on my car roof in the dark in the morning or at the end of a long session. I guess you’ve got to weigh up what’s the bigger ballache but that sounds a fair weight to be throwing about. Good luck whatever you decide though👍I reckon the freelander is a bit taller and shorter in the roof than that estate?
I think Barnet marine do roof racks for their aluminium boats? They maybe worth a look?

Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:17

Only needs a touch of wind

And crash bang wollop

And it could land on you
Well Well Well Enoch..........
It seams you were right after all

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:26

124kg and an awkward shape would make it hard work to get on vehicle roof I reckon.You could possibly clamp on a timber frame to give some support to the overhang and then maybe upright it and slide it on but wouldn't fancy it myself!

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:26

suffolk si wrote:
👍I agree with Carl, 125 kg is a fair weight to move about ( ironically that’s the same weight as my overhead press pb in the gym!). I had access to a private broad last year with a 14ft seastrike already on the bank and getting than in and out without a slip way nearly killed me🤣 . The overhang would worry me tooif I’m being honest. Obviously you know your access but I wouldn’t want to be putting something that weight on my car roof in the dark in the morning or at the end of a long session. I guess you’ve got to weigh up what’s the bigger ballache but that sounds a fair weight to be throwing about. Good luck whatever you decide though👍I reckon the freelander is a bit taller and shorter in the roof than that estate?
I think Barnet marine do roof racks for their aluminium boats? They maybe worth a look?
Cheers si some good points raised..
I'm not overly concerned about the weight, and I'll no doubt have a reluctant fishing buddy to accompany me on most of my trips to make things a little easier if it does become an issue..
Yes the freelander is a little higher(maybe easier to just change my car to a volvo estate😅..

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:30

Carlperkins wrote:
Only needs a touch of wind

And crash bang wollop

And it could land on you
Valid point there Carl, it did cross mind should a cross wind catch under it..

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:42

Mattjb wrote:
124kg and an awkward shape would make it hard work to get on vehicle roof I reckon.You could possibly clamp on a timber frame to give some support to the overhang and then maybe upright it and slide it on but wouldn't fancy it myself!
Yeah that's an option matt..I was hoping I could buy a specifically designed rack extension or possibly arm type support attachments that maybe bolt on somewhere, but not sure such an accessory exists..

Pikerd74
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Pikerd74 » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:44

Hi I have just found this technical data for a freelander, it looks like 75kg is the max that can be carried on the roof.

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topi ... 20data.pdf

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Thu Oct 29 2020 19:58

rich wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
Yeah that's an option matt..I was hoping I could buy a specifically designed rack extension or possibly arm type support attachments that maybe bolt on somewhere, but not sure such an accessory exists..
To be honest if the roof bars are pretty close together it's likely it will put a lot of strain on the bars even with a timber frame,as you say some sort of strut down to the front might work but how to attach it would be the problem

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Thu Oct 29 2020 20:03

If he can do it......?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 20:12

Mattjb wrote:
If he can do it......?!
Inspiration! 😂..
Seems to be an unfulfilled gap In the market for a new product here(then again Maybe it doesn't exist for good reason)

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 20:49

Thanks for all your correspondence fellas, I'll consider it some more and possibly approach a local blacksmith/fabricator to see if adaptation is a possibility..
Thanks..👍

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Thu Oct 29 2020 21:06

Pikerd74 wrote:
Hi I have just found this technical data for a freelander, it looks like 75kg is the max that can be carried on the roof.

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topi ... 20data.pdf
Yes i read that also, and initially though all was lost until I came across this account on a land rover forum..

Pikerd74
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Pikerd74 » Thu Oct 29 2020 21:08

Use the trailer, by the time you add more weight by fabricating something that is strong enough to cope, you will be carrying twice the weight recommended.
Is it worth causing an accident due to significantly raising your cars centre of gravity of an already top heavy motor?
A hernia popping out too after lugging it up there after a tiring days fishing wouldn’t be much fun either😳

Neptune
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Neptune » Thu Oct 29 2020 23:22

ladder.jpg
10' jonboat very light. not sure if this pic shows don't think i've posted enough times.

smiley
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by smiley » Fri Oct 30 2020 00:25

I got this boat in 1999, it's a few inches short of 12 foot, I got it from Beeston marina and transported it home to Leeds on top of a Nissan Micra.
I must have transported this boat on that car to the Lake district and back nearly a dozen times in the next two years untill I changed my car for a Kia Rio (pictured).
I have never heard of a 13 ft Ally boat but if there is one it can't weigh much more than this one and as you can see the distance between the roof bars is not great. I have carried this boat like this for twenty years strapped down with ratchet straps without a hitch, in fact you forget its up there apart from the wind noise.

Hope this helps, Keith.

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Fri Oct 30 2020 06:55

smiley wrote:
I got this boat in 1999, it's a few inches short of 12 foot, I got it from Beeston marina and transported it home to Leeds on top of a Nissan Micra.
I must have transported this boat on that car to the Lake district and back nearly a dozen times in the next two years untill I changed my car for a Kia Rio (pictured).
I have never heard of a 13 ft Ally boat but if there is one it can't weigh much more than this one and as you can see the distance between the roof bars is not great. I have carried this boat like this for twenty years strapped down with ratchet straps without a hitch, in fact you forget its up there apart from the wind noise.

That reassuring Keith.
any idea what the measurements are between your roof bars for comparison?

Hope this helps, Keith.

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Fri Oct 30 2020 11:58

smiley wrote:

Hope this helps, Keith.

Brilliant post!
Ten out of ten Keith :handshake:

I can see your going to fit in well here.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

smiley
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by smiley » Fri Oct 30 2020 16:23

Mike J wrote:
smiley wrote:

Hope this helps, Keith.

Brilliant post!

Thank you Mike, thats nice to know.

rich, the distance between the bars is approx 720 mm. The fitment on the Skoda is fixed because there are location holes for the bars on the door opening, might be a good idea to find someone with the same model car or maybe a Pit member can help.
I have now sold the boat but last transported it on my Octavia Scout which has roof rails so you can put them where you like :thumbs:

Keith.

rich
Roach
Roach

Post by rich » Fri Oct 30 2020 17:57

smiley wrote:
Mike J wrote:
smiley wrote:

Hope this helps, Keith.

Brilliant post!

Thank you Mike, thats nice to know.

rich, the distance between the bars is approx 720 mm. The fitment on the Skoda is fixed because there are location holes for the bars on the door opening, might be a good idea to find someone with the same model car or maybe a Pit member can help.
I have now sold the boat but last transported it on my Octavia Scout which has roof rails so you can put them where you like :thumbs:

Keith.
Cheers Keith, I've just been up to measure and there's 890mm maxed out between bars..
my only concern now is the centralisation- they're located more towards the rear on the freelander 3dr model so I'll have to compensate for that..
I guess the only real way to find out will be to heft it up and on there and see how she sits, I'll need a bit of sunshine for that ideally but as everyone knows it always rains in Wales..🤪
I'll post a pic if I'm successful, thanks for the info..

Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk » Fri Oct 30 2020 19:13

I’ve a karitek roof loader for my kayak. You could fit it to that at the side of your car and swing it onto the roof
https://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-rac ... roof-racks
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

Mako234
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Mako234 » Sat Oct 31 2020 13:10

as a possible boat owner i am finding this thread very informative would one man be able to load/unload a 10 footer on his own on to a small peugeot bipper ?

smiley
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by smiley » Sat Oct 31 2020 20:54

The answer to your question Mako234 should be yes!
I used to self load the boat already featured on my own and I'm just an average bloke. The weight is not the problem as the saying goes "Two men can lift a piano but one man cannot lift half a piano".
I made a frame that clamped onto the side of the boat so that it raised it high enough to be able to "hook" the boat onto the "long" roof bars so that I could raise the boat and slide it on, unloading the boat was the reverse of the loading procedure.
A lot of faffing about I know but getting afloat will open up so many fishing venues and opportunities it is well worth the hassle and effort.

Buy the boat.

You can't take your £££ brass with you.

Enjoy your floating/fishing.

Keith.

norleveller
Perch
Perch

Post by norleveller » Sun Nov 01 2020 11:01

125kg far too much to roof top imo,used to rooftop a 10ft sniper thought that was bad enough and that was less than half that weight, youre asking for a hernia keep the trailer you can always chuck some gear in the boat then.

Mako234
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Mako234 » Sun Nov 01 2020 15:40

smiley wrote:
The answer to your question Mako234 should be yes!
I used to self load the boat already featured on my own and I'm just an average bloke. The weight is not the problem as the saying goes "Two men can lift a piano but one man cannot lift half a piano".
I made a frame that clamped onto the side of the boat so that it raised it high enough to be able to "hook" the boat onto the "long" roof bars so that I could raise the boat and slide it on, unloading the boat was the reverse of the loading procedure.
A lot of faffing about I know but getting afloat will open up so many fishing venues and opportunities it is well worth the hassle and effort.

Buy the boat.

You can't take your £££ brass with you.

Enjoy your floating/fishing.

Keith.
[/quote hi smiley i have just watched a video of barnet marine loading and unloading a 10 foot boat off a car made it look easy the car had a weird looking roof rack on it but certainly food for thought