Panoptix livescope from Garmin

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Lee7499
Perch
Perch

Panoptix livescope from Garmin

Post by Lee7499 » Fri Apr 23 2021 08:01

[url https://youtu.be/q-TtJcEQmB0][/url]Any of you seen this ,it really is a game changer and no I dont work for them but had a look and its something else.
Last edited by Lee7499 on Fri Apr 23 2021 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall

Steve Le maitre
Chub
Chub

Re: Panoptix livescope from Garmin

Post by Steve Le maitre » Fri Apr 23 2021 08:17

Just got a Helix 12 mega SI & DI, literally fresh out the box but looks like it’s outdated :eek:

Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins » Fri Apr 23 2021 09:27

It’s been about a while hasn’t it.
Not everyone on the pit is trustworthy 😉

Steve Dennington
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Dennington » Fri Apr 23 2021 10:44

Carlperkins wrote:
It’s been about a while hasn’t it.
Several years, I think. Haven't heard much about it in that time though :shrug:

Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R » Fri Apr 23 2021 11:11

Not sure how good it is for pike (I'm sure it helps) but from watching Predator Fight on YouTube it seems to be an absolute gamechanger for zander - almost worryingly so. It shouldn't be that easy to target big fish.

I'm sure it would be very effective for targeting trout too.

Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins » Fri Apr 23 2021 11:19

This is when you need Cat the t**t who is a mole to explain it all 😂

dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run » Sat Apr 24 2021 01:24

I’ve got one. Had it about 9 months now but obviously haven’t really given it that much play, probably done about 20 trips with it.

I’m not a finder geek at all but for the style of fishing I do, that Paddy touches on, it’s just ridiculous how good it is.

It can’t make them bite though, it’s insane how many fish look at a lure that you just never knew followed- thats zeds as well as pike.

Any questions, happy to answer. I don’t work for them either :laughs: :laughs:
James Dobie.

Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton » Sun Apr 25 2021 07:33

Looks amazing but it's about 2.5k for a decent setup. Lot of dough

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Mon Apr 26 2021 22:28

Mmmmmm not more dosh I may have to spend :scratch:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :smile:

I do everything in a flurry :laughs:

Some guys have crap coming out of every orifice :wink:

Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R » Mon May 03 2021 12:35

Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins » Mon May 03 2021 12:48

All very good but not for me.
I like to take in my surroundings rather than watching what in effect is a tv.
Fair play to those that do though 👍

Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton » Tue May 04 2021 12:58

Paddy_R wrote:
The future of fishing:

https://youtu.be/6SSR4q5vjco?t=1378
Saw this programme, absolutely incredible and the young lads understanding and skill of the finder was very good. Not for me though, might aswell just play on a games console and stay warm dry.

stubbojo
Perch
Perch

Post by stubbojo » Tue May 04 2021 19:36

Paddy_R wrote:
The future of fishing:

https://youtu.be/6SSR4q5vjco?t=1378
wow what an a amazing bit of kit, you could find some good pike with that setup..
i have the down vision CHIRP by raymarine dragonfly i have a small set up on my pike boat which has similar clarity when finding feature but it will pick up big pike .
and a a pro7 dragonfly on the bigger sea boat which i use over the reefs to target bass and the bigger pollack , very good for finding bait fish and features ..
i have always gone down that road find the features find the fish.....
anglesea bass fishing 002.JPG
once you have mastered using the finder it really does put you on the fish ,but like somebody said you still have to catch them too, thats the hard bit its not just cast out and they hang themsevles , everything got to be right , tide ,drift, wind , depth , if you boat fish you know where i am coming from , its bloody hard work at times , but its woth it when it all comes together
anglesea bass fishing 029.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Dennington
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Dennington » Thu May 06 2021 21:40

dropped_run wrote:
I’ve got one. Had it about 9 months now but obviously haven’t really given it that much play, probably done about 20 trips with it.

I’m not a finder geek at all but for the style of fishing I do, that Paddy touches on, it’s just ridiculous how good it is.

It can’t make them bite though, it’s insane how many fish look at a lure that you just never knew followed- thats zeds as well as pike.

Presumably you've found it most effective when fish were well off the bottom, James?

One occasion sticks in my mind, when the fishfinder showed nothing in a "form" area on side imaging, traditional or downscan. Nothing at all. However, as we'd done so well in that area before, we decided to give it a go for a while. By close of play we'd caught well over twenty pike from an area that we would never have fished if we'd relied solely on the finder.

stubbojo
Perch
Perch

Post by stubbojo » Thu May 06 2021 22:53

dropped_run wrote:

how would you think they would work in a sea fishing scenario as in reef fishing....... targeting bass in say 20ft water and shallower

dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run » Fri May 07 2021 16:03

stubbojo wrote:
dropped_run wrote:

how would you think they would work in a sea fishing scenario as in reef fishing....... targeting bass in say 20ft water and shallower
I havent done a huge amount of bassing etc so im not really au fait with how youre positioning the boat etc.
The transducers on these are directional, so if youre on an anchor and youre not swinging too much, or if youre doing a drift where you can position the transducer to point at what youre drifting towards, I imagine they would work well. The position of the transducer is key though.
Be aware though, the beam is very narrow in comparison to even a 200khz frequency on a lowrance for example, so you have to be fairly accurate with your casts. The guys on the video have the transducer mounted on the bowmount to alleviate the swing of the boat in the wind (although having fished with a couple of the best in Sweden, they are absolute pussies when it comes to wind for this style of fishing :laughs: )
James Dobie.

dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run » Fri May 07 2021 16:07

Steve Dennington wrote:
dropped_run wrote:

Presumably you've found it most effective when fish were well off the bottom, James?

One occasion sticks in my mind, when the fishfinder showed nothing in a "form" area on side imaging, traditional or downscan. Nothing at all. However, as we'd done so well in that area before, we decided to give it a go for a while. By close of play we'd caught well over twenty pike from an area that we would never have fished if we'd relied solely on the finder.
Yeah its a weird one Steve. I run this alongside my HDS Carbon at times (when I can be arsed to cart around two finders) but because Ive been trying to get to grips with this, I havent done it that much.
Its definitely better at showing fish tight to the bottom than the carbon in my very limited experience but you can definitely "lose" fish to the bottom as well. I fish a fairly shallow venue and I miss having the sidescan alongside this when i dont take the lowrance.
Off the bottom though, its night and day. Its coming to the venue we drove to when we had a detour over the bridge next weekend, quite interested to see what it shows on there.
James Dobie.

stubbojo
Perch
Perch

Post by stubbojo » Fri May 07 2021 20:34

dropped_run wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
dropped_run wrote:

I havent done a huge amount of bassing etc so im not really au fait with how youre positioning the boat etc.
The transducers on these are directional, so if youre on an anchor and youre not swinging too much, or if youre doing a drift where you can position the transducer to point at what youre drifting towards, I imagine they would work well. The position of the transducer is key though.
Be aware though, the beam is very narrow in comparison to even a 200khz frequency on a lowrance for example, so you have to be fairly accurate with your casts. The guys on the video have the transducer mounted on the bowmount to alleviate the swing of the boat in the wind (although having fished with a couple of the best in Sweden, they are absolute pussies when it comes to wind for this style of fishing :laughs: )
most of my fishing is on the drift with live baits or lures when the tide lets me , most of the time we are racing along with the tide literally minutes , when passing over the sweet spot , i know what you mean with it being directional , maybe it wont suit my style of fishing as i have to keep an eye on the depth all the time , one reef comes up to 4 ft in places so a normal sounder comes into play , normally the fish are there if i can place a bait at the right depth without snagging bottom
if there was a very slack tide i think i could get away with it , but there far and few between pal probably best suited to still waters to get the very beast out of the unit ...still looks a good set up ......

Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook » Sun May 09 2021 10:24

Steve Le maitre wrote:
Just got a Helix 12 mega SI & DI, literally fresh out the box but looks like it’s outdated :eek:
One of the best head units you could get Steve, and if it’s a G3 or G4, you can already add Mega 360, which is, well, Mega! If the current microchip shortage can be addressed, Humminbird will be able to launch their own version, Mega Live!!