Awesome new prize added to the Christmas Comp!!

Win a day trolling lures with Steve Le Maitre on either Windy or Lomond!!

Bison electric outboard ?

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Bison electric outboard ?

Post by Biggthepool »

Debating weather to purchase one off these in 68lb thrust as my 55lb minn Kota has died. Has anyone any experience with the bisons?
Marty McD
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Bison electric outboard ?

Post by Marty McD »

I used a one for a few years with no issues. It was very reliable.
Only changed it because I upgraded to Minn-Kota Terrova bow mount.
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

They're alright I used a 60lb+ one for a while. Strong motor. Nothing special.

Min kota probably comes out ahead with accessories, parts and support πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

my mates died today and had to be towed by a minn kota lol, to be fair hes had it two years without any issues though. in a nutshell ,i agree with what crofty said
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

A friend of mine bought a Bison the same time I bought a min kota, about five years ago. His lasted about two years before seizing up, and my min kota is still going strongly without any issues, even though its left on my boat in all weather conditions. Enough said!
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

I had a Bison but the connectors were a bit iffy for the thruster, changed to a Minn Kota and I doubt I'll go back to anything else now.
JackHunter
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JackHunter »

I had one, it didn’t last two winters before the gears started packing up and it gradually got louder and louder. It wasn’t the quietest to begin with!
I recently sold it as spares and repairs and purchased a second hand minn kota.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Not much which can’t be replaced on Minn Kota, have you thought about repairing it?
Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins »

Minn kotas are like triggers broom πŸ˜‚
Ask Alan Dalton on here how good they are
Had trouble straight out the box
Struggled to get it sorted, and when finally swapped the seal on the new one went within months.
Not everyone on the pit is trustworthy πŸ˜‰
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Carlperkins wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13 2021 09:40 -
Struggled to get it sorted, and when finally swapped the seal on the new one went within months.
I've had all kinds of outboards opened from watersnake, daiwa, bison, rhino, and two other brands I forget the name of.

They're all the same technology and shitty speed switches. I've repaired tons of them.

Only one I havnt had a chance to peek inside is a minn kota but I do have one of their pwm speed controls sat here, broken one funnily enough 🀣

For me I'd pick anyone tbh. Just look after the damn thing and install protection from the battery.
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you
Carlperkins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Carlperkins »

We basterdised a Minn Kota for my kayak
Nothing special as you say
Not everyone on the pit is trustworthy πŸ˜‰
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13 2021 10:12 -
I've had all kinds of outboards opened from watersnake, daiwa, bison, rhino, and two other brands I forget the name of.

They're all the same technology and shitty speed switches. I've repaired tons of them.

Only one I havnt had a chance to peek inside is a minn kota but I do have one of their pwm speed controls sat here, broken one funnily enough 🀣

For me I'd pick anyone tbh. Just look after the damn thing and install protection from the battery.
What procreation would you install in a bison 68lb thrust running off a 100amp battery ?
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Biggthepool wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13 2021 23:05 -

What procreation would you install in a bison 68lb thrust running off a 100amp battery ?
I cant find the specs for the motor so dont know how many amps it draws. According to Duncan Holmes who's probably the most knowledgable on this subject and helped me out says a breaker of 1.25 x the max current draw of the motor.

It's the single biggest point of failure on all the outboards I've fixed was due to low battery. causes motor to draw more amps causing switches and other components to burn.

Could double up on it with a low voltage disconnect for the battery too but breaker will do its job.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13 2021 23:35 -

I cant find the specs for the motor so dont know how many amps it draws. According to Duncan Holmes who's probably the most knowledgable on this subject and helped me out says a breaker of 1.25 x the max current draw of the motor.

It's the single biggest point of failure on all the outboards I've fixed was due to low battery. causes motor to draw more amps causing switches and other components to burn.

Could double up on it with a low voltage disconnect for the battery too but breaker will do its job.
This might help you Andrew? 64amps draw?

I am no good with electrics reason Iam asking 😁
64375955-FCCE-463F-BB77-1646D8769830.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Biggthepool wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14 2021 11:54 -

You want an 80amp circuit breaker. like this one

Installed inline and as close to the battery positive terminal as possible.

Duncan goes in to great detail in this topic: viewtopic.php?t=38080

I never got the chance to put any of this in to practice. I was working on a trout fishery who were forever breaking outboards due to this and I fixed and bodged way more than I can remember (20+ outboard if i recall).

Tried to tell them but instead of spending a few quid on circuit breakers decided to buy new speed switches, when they eventually broke too they bought new outboards and batteries. I even bought them a breaker to try. Fishery probably still scratching their head why batteries get f****d and outboards melting.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14 2021 12:16 -

I never got the chance to put any of this in to practice. I was working on a trout fishery who were forever breaking outboards due to this and I fixed and bodged way more than I can remember (20+ outboard if i recall).

Tried to tell them but instead of spending a few quid on circuit breakers decided to buy new speed switches, when they eventually broke too they bought new outboards and batteries. I even bought them a breaker to try. Fishery probably still scratching their head why batteries get f****d and outboards melting.
Thanks Andrew
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew you seem to know a lot more than me can I ask do you know what wire I would need to lengthen the wires and also best thing to join new wire to existing?
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Biggthepool wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23 2021 19:45 -

Andrew you seem to know a lot more than me can I ask do you know what wire I would need to lengthen the wires and also best thing to join new wire to existing?
Not sure I fully understand what you're trying to achieve. Is this to install the breaker ?

If so, It goes inline on the possitive wire so just snip the wire bare back a little of the insulation, put the wires in to breaker terminals and screw down
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

circuit-breaker_19a1168d-8cd7-4271-87d9-9935db3e5f79.jpg
Best diagram i could find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23 2021 20:09 -
Biggthepool wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23 2021 19:45 -

Not sure I fully understand what you're trying to achieve. Is this to install the breaker ?

If so, It goes inline on the possitive wire so just snip the wire bare back a little of the insulation, put the wires in to breaker terminals and screw down
No crafty I have outboard and circuit breaker is fitted already😁 but the length off wire is not long enough for when I swap it onto my lake boat so I’ll need to now lengthen both wires to reach battery
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Oh! Lol

Same gauge wire as the outboard and use weatherproof anderson connectors rated to 80amp to make your extension. Anderson connector the s**t out of everything for easy swapping from boat to boat etc

Remember breaker needs to be as close to battery terminal as possible.
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

How I'd do it:
20211123_194452.jpg
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23 2021 20:46 -
How I'd do it:

20211123_194452.jpg
Brilliant crafty thank you 😁😁 any idea on the gauge off wire I haven’t really a clue about electronics πŸ˜‚
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Take outboard in to electric/automotive shop and show them the cable and say, I need x amount of this. Gauge is thickness. They will probably do anderson connectors too
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23 2021 20:52 -
Take outboard in to electric/automotive shop and show them the cable and say, I need x amount of this. Gauge is thickness. They will probably do anderson connectors too
Gentleman crafty thanks apt for the help πŸ‘πŸ‘
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Crafty πŸ€£πŸ–•

Mum used to call me handy andy when I was little. I was doing all the plugs and fixing s**t even back then.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23 2021 21:04 -
Crafty πŸ€£πŸ–•

Mum used to call me handy andy when I was little. I was doing all the plugs and fixing s**t even back then.
Stupid spell check πŸ˜‚
Tony McTaggart
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Tony McTaggart »

If you're extending the the cable of any electric outboard engine you need to upgrade your cable also (thicker gauge) you cannot just use like for like :thumbs:
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Tony McTaggart wrote: ↑Thu Nov 25 2021 16:36 -
If you're extending the the cable of any electric outboard engine you need to upgrade your cable also (thicker gauge) you cannot just use like for like :thumbs:
Even by 60cm ??
Tony McTaggart
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Biggthepool wrote: ↑Thu Nov 25 2021 23:52 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: ↑Thu Nov 25 2021 16:36 -
Even by 60cm ??
I'd move the battery 2ft :laughs: