24v I-pilot

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

24v I-pilot

Post by Alan_dalton »

Is anybody using a 24v i-pilot. My 55lb thrust one is just not powerfull enough for my 18ft boat. Just wondering what models people are using.
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Re: 24v I-pilot

Post by Fordey »

Alan_dalton wrote: Thu May 12 2022 14:56 -
Is anybody using a 24v i-pilot. My 55lb thrust one is just not powerfull enough for my 18ft boat. Just wondering what models people are using.
I use an 80 lb thrust on a 5.35m Marcraft and it does the job.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Alan_dalton wrote: Thu May 12 2022 14:56 -
Is it an open boat Alan? If so you should be using 24v, 80lb thrust, if it’s a cuddly/cabin boat you need a 36v, 112lb thrust
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Alan,
Sounds a bit low to me. My boat is 14 foot and the 55lb thrust in an open boat is powerful enough in most conditions.
I have noted that at 24 volts the power lasts for about 6 hours which is much less than my 12 volt equivalent.
Chrisd
CraigG
Perch
Perch

Post by CraigG »

chrisdonna wrote: Fri May 13 2022 12:23 -
Alan,
Sounds a bit low to me. My boat is 14 foot and the 55lb thrust in an open boat is powerful enough in most conditions.
Same as Chris, I run a 12v 55lb thrust on a 14ft ally. In what way is it underpowered? Drifting when spot locked or is it a power issue?
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

It's fine on my 12 ft sea strike but has struggled this week in Scotland on my 18ft boat with a solid cuddy
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Craig,
I don`t think I ever said any set up was under powered except if the boat is too big for the motor.
As far as my 24 volt only lasting 6 hours in comparison to my 12 volt. My 2 x 12 volt batteries were in parallel which gave me an additional battery where as at 24 volt my batteries are in series which doesn`t give me an onboard back up.
I think the 6 hour battery life from the 24 volt system is most probable a power issue as you suggest. Haven`t fished for over a year due to health problems so my observations are from memory I`m afraid.
Regards,
Chris Donovan
Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith »

Alan_dalton wrote: Fri May 13 2022 21:55 -
It's fine on my 12 ft sea strike but has struggled this week in Scotland on my 18ft boat with a solid cuddy
Alan, I think we have the same boat if you are still using the Reiver ?
I found my 12v-55lb transom mounted Minn Kota (not bow mounted i pilot) was OK on flat calm days, but in anything worse than that it was next to useless, they are a heavy boat and even though the cabin is quite low level in comparison to other makes it still catches the wind, and can makes manoeuvering quite difficult.
Ian's advice is very sound if you require a unit that will perform competently even in the worst of conditions, however, I think that you would notice a significant difference under the majority of weather conditions if you were to upgraded to the 24v-80lb thrust model.
I have the 12v-50lb i pilot on my 14ft strike and find it works very well, mind you I do not go out if the wind gets above a certain speed, IMO it takes all the fun out of it and makes everything so much more difficult fishing in very rough conditions.

Will.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Will Smith wrote: Sat May 14 2022 10:57 -
Alan_dalton wrote: Fri May 13 2022 21:55 -
Alan, I think we have the same boat if you are still using the Reiver ?
I found my 12v-55lb transom mounted Minn Kota (not bow mounted i pilot) was OK on flat calm days, but in anything worse than that it was next to useless, they are a heavy boat and even though the cabin is quite low level in comparison to other makes it still catches the wind, and can makes manoeuvering quite difficult.
Ian's advice is very sound if you require a unit that will perform competently even in the worst of conditions, however, I think that you would notice a significant difference under the majority of weather conditions if you were to upgraded to the 24v-80lb thrust model.
I have the 12v-50lb i pilot on my 14ft strike and find it works very well, mind you I do not go out if the wind gets above a certain speed, IMO it takes all the fun out of it and makes everything so much more difficult fishing in very rough conditions.

Will.
Hi Will its the same boat, the wind was strong this week in Scotland and I pilot was woefully inadequate. Problem with 36v would be the number of batteries required! The 24v might have to be the compromise.