Huge hp motors

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Post Reply
Danoutdoors
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Huge hp motors

Post by Danoutdoors » Tue Mar 06 2018 19:14

Is there any need for 100hp plus motors in the uk and ireland? see one of the Derg guides has a new 150hp motor on a ali tub, thought the idea of going fishing was to relax and just get there when you get there, is it overkill?

Fordey
Captain
Captain
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Oct 28 2011 05:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Fordey » Tue Mar 06 2018 19:50

It's a question of perspective, to some degree.
Bear in mind Derg is over 35 miles long, and spots are often miles apart. Typically, I'd motor to the nearest area, pushing outwards all the time. At the end of the session, could be 10-20 miles from where I started, or more. An 8hp isn't great when crossing huge expanses of lough.
The second reason, is the boat. The particular model you're referring to is rated 120-200, in other words a 115 wouldn't push it, and would be seriously undergunned.
Also, belting along at a rate of knots on a big water in wild conditions, is pretty exhilarating, and cool! Amd I make no apologies for that.

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4761
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Edmiston Drive VIA paisley

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by RAB-HENDO » Tue Mar 06 2018 20:12

Big water= big engine for me! Can pull you out of danger quickly and cover more swims as you please
DANCES WAE PIKE

Danoutdoors
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Danoutdoors » Tue Mar 06 2018 20:30

Fair play, can see how it might make sense then, perhaps Iโ€™m just jealous ๐Ÿ˜ณ

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4761
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Edmiston Drive VIA paisley

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by RAB-HENDO » Tue Mar 06 2018 20:32

Whoโ€™s not m8 when someone rips up the loch ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
DANCES WAE PIKE

User avatar
twisty
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3315
Joined: Wed Aug 31 2011 05:00
Location: sunny southport

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by twisty » Tue Mar 06 2018 21:25

A good big one is always better than a good little one
On big waters and on a boat that can handle the size safely .
When it gets rough and you need to get anywhere safely more power enables you to get on top of rollers if your hulls right design.
Wouldent use anything smaller than 50 on me big boat
Some bass lads have 2x 150s on back
Only in America
keep ye mouth shut and you will catch more

founder member of the windy pikers

User avatar
Edward.P.A.C
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Tue Mar 06 2018 21:51

RAB-HENDO wrote: โ†‘
Big water= big engine for me! Can pull you out of danger quickly and cover more swims as you please
:thumbs:
โ€œThe only way to avoid pรฎssรฎng people off is to do nothing important.โ€ โ€” Oliver Emberton

Fordey
Captain
Captain
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Oct 28 2011 05:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Fordey » Tue Mar 06 2018 22:10

twisty wrote: โ†‘
A good big one is always better than a good little one
On big waters and on a boat that can handle the size safely .
When it gets rough and you need to get anywhere safely more power enables you to get on top of rollers if your hulls right design.
Wouldent use anything smaller than 50 on me big boat
Some bass lads have 2x 150s on back
Only in America
A friend of mine has a 350 verado on the back of his.. :afraid:
To be fair, he could have got away with a 250 :grin:

It's the only saying: "Anyone that drives slower than me is a w#nker, any one that drives quicker than me is a lunatic" :clown:

User avatar
andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by andrew_nagel » Wed Mar 07 2018 08:36

The old 'rule of thumb' is to fit the most powerful motor your boat is rated to. Works out to be more fuel efficient running a bigger engine at lower revs than a smaller engine at higher revs. Also you have the extra power when really needed.

User avatar
Mike J
Major
Major
Posts: 2494
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Mike J » Wed Mar 07 2018 08:47

Yamaha 50 four-stroke on my 6.5m Centre Consol with two anglers and all the gear = 27knots at WOT (wide open throttle).
A 8nm cruise to the shelf, a days trolling at 6knots and back on my mooring and still have 3-4litres of fuel remaining in a 25L tank.

Unwritten boating rule - 'Never drive faster that you want to hit something at' !

User avatar
Mobo4pike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02 2015 13:32
Location: Alloa (where we eat our own young)

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Mobo4pike » Wed Mar 07 2018 11:29

Boy I fished with in niagara had the same. Had a 17ft Ali boat with a 225 Mercury on the back. Said heโ€™s only had it full throttle once and it was scary as f**k. :laughs:

Tried to upload a video of it but it no working you get the idea though
Ye s**g one trout and all of a sudden yer a broony shagger :roll: .

User avatar
Cyprio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Oct 24 2015 22:02
Location: Suffolk

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Cyprio » Wed Mar 07 2018 14:44

Someone had the balls to ask the same question on bass boat central forum :laughs:

The answers were the same as above, equates to more time fishing than traveling,
Especially fishing large lakes and river systems.

But they all put Fast=Fun as the top answer :cool:

Best answer was
50mph is fun
60mph is competitive
70mph gets the blood flowing and now your "driving"the boat.

I know if I had a 350 Verado on the back, I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing :clown:


Andy

User avatar
dropped_run
Captain
Captain
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by dropped_run » Thu Mar 08 2018 17:02

Cyprio wrote: โ†‘
Someone had the balls to ask the same question on bass boat central forum :laughs:

The answers were the same as above, equates to more time fishing than traveling,
Especially fishing large lakes and river systems.

But they all put Fast=Fun as the top answer :cool:

Best answer was
50mph is fun
60mph is competitive
70mph gets the blood flowing and now your "driving"the boat.

I know if I had a 350 Verado on the back, I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing :clown:


Andy
having used a 115hp mercury in a competition this summer, I can safely say its brilliant. However, you feel the hit on your wallet if you go everywhere flat out, thats for sure.
James Dobie.

Fordey
Captain
Captain
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Oct 28 2011 05:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Fordey » Thu Mar 08 2018 20:58

dropped_run wrote: โ†‘
Cyprio wrote: โ†‘
Someone had the balls to ask the same question on bass boat central forum :laughs:

The answers were the same as above, equates to more time fishing than traveling,
Especially fishing large lakes and river systems.

But they all put Fast=Fun as the top answer :cool:

Best answer was
50mph is fun
60mph is competitive
70mph gets the blood flowing and now your "driving"the boat.

I know if I had a 350 Verado on the back, I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing :clown:


Andy
having used a 115hp mercury in a competition this summer, I can safely say its brilliant. However, you feel the hit on your wallet if you go everywhere flat out, thats for sure.

Indeed! Mine planes @ 4000 rpm, pushes along very nicely at about 4200 @ 45 kph. Consumption is 11.0 L/ hour, or โ‚ฌ14.30. At top end 6000 revs hits 80 kph, consumption is 32.9 L /Hour. โ‚ฌ42.77.. Per hour.

User avatar
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff
Posts: 12219
Joined: Wed Nov 02 2011 05:00
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Andrew Croft » Thu Mar 08 2018 21:29

Fordey wrote: โ†‘
dropped_run wrote: โ†‘
Cyprio wrote: โ†‘
Someone had the balls to ask the same question on bass boat central forum :laughs:

The answers were the same as above, equates to more time fishing than traveling,
Especially fishing large lakes and river systems.

But they all put Fast=Fun as the top answer :cool:

Best answer was
50mph is fun
60mph is competitive
70mph gets the blood flowing and now your "driving"the boat.

I know if I had a 350 Verado on the back, I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing :clown:


Andy
having used a 115hp mercury in a competition this summer, I can safely say its brilliant. However, you feel the hit on your wallet if you go everywhere flat out, thats for sure.

Indeed! Mine planes @ 4000 rpm, pushes along very nicely at about 4200 @ 45 kph. Consumption is 11.0 L/ hour, or โ‚ฌ14.30. At top end 6000 revs hits 80 kph, consumption is 32.9 L /Hour. โ‚ฌ42.77.. Per hour.
Get the oars oot :afraid:
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 7083
Joined: Tue Nov 06 2012 06:00
Location: Cambs

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Fri Mar 09 2018 08:01

Andrew Croft wrote: โ†‘
Fordey wrote: โ†‘
dropped_run wrote: โ†‘
Cyprio wrote: โ†‘
Someone had the balls to ask the same question on bass boat central forum :laughs:

The answers were the same as above, equates to more time fishing than traveling,
Especially fishing large lakes and river systems.

But they all put Fast=Fun as the top answer :cool:

Best answer was
50mph is fun
60mph is competitive
70mph gets the blood flowing and now your "driving"the boat.

I know if I had a 350 Verado on the back, I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing :clown:


Andy
having used a 115hp mercury in a competition this summer, I can safely say its brilliant. However, you feel the hit on your wallet if you go everywhere flat out, thats for sure.

Indeed! Mine planes @ 4000 rpm, pushes along very nicely at about 4200 @ 45 kph. Consumption is 11.0 L/ hour, or โ‚ฌ14.30. At top end 6000 revs hits 80 kph, consumption is 32.9 L /Hour. โ‚ฌ42.77.. Per hour.
Get the oars oot :afraid:
Anglers dont use oar's nowadays,Andrew they have a 50 as an auxiliary :laughs:

(and whats all this kph face)

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.

Gaz Jane
Private
Private
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 06 2014 00:37
Location: Barnsley

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Gaz Jane » Fri Mar 09 2018 17:05

You can always use it for water sking if tha not catching owt

Fordey
Captain
Captain
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Oct 28 2011 05:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Fordey » Fri Mar 09 2018 23:02

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: โ†‘
Andrew Croft wrote: โ†‘
Fordey wrote: โ†‘
dropped_run wrote: โ†‘
Cyprio wrote: โ†‘
Someone had the balls to ask the same question on bass boat central forum :laughs:

The answers were the same as above, equates to more time fishing than traveling,
Especially fishing large lakes and river systems.

But they all put Fast=Fun as the top answer :cool:

Best answer was
50mph is fun
60mph is competitive
70mph gets the blood flowing and now your "driving"the boat.

I know if I had a 350 Verado on the back, I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing :clown:


Andy
having used a 115hp mercury in a competition this summer, I can safely say its brilliant. However, you feel the hit on your wallet if you go everywhere flat out, thats for sure.

Indeed! Mine planes @ 4000 rpm, pushes along very nicely at about 4200 @ 45 kph. Consumption is 11.0 L/ hour, or โ‚ฌ14.30. At top end 6000 revs hits 80 kph, consumption is 32.9 L /Hour. โ‚ฌ42.77.. Per hour.
Get the oars oot :afraid:
Anglers dont use oar's nowadays,Andrew they have a 50 as an auxiliary :laughs:

(and whats all this kph face)

Cheers Alan
KPH is short for "Kilometres per hour". It is from the metric system, which is the system we use in Ireland. I don't know if you ever use google Alan, but i believe they have a conversion rate there, so you can quite easily find out what the speed is in MPH (miles per hour). Cheers.

Danoutdoors
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Danoutdoors » Sat Mar 10 2018 17:00

Fordey wrote: โ†‘
dropped_run wrote: โ†‘
Cyprio wrote: โ†‘
Someone had the balls to ask the same question on bass boat central forum :laughs:

The answers were the same as above, equates to more time fishing than traveling,
Especially fishing large lakes and river systems.

But they all put Fast=Fun as the top answer :cool:

Best answer was
50mph is fun
60mph is competitive
70mph gets the blood flowing and now your "driving"the boat.

I know if I had a 350 Verado on the back, I wouldn't be doing a lot of fishing :clown:


Andy
having used a 115hp mercury in a competition this summer, I can safely say its brilliant. However, you feel the hit on your wallet if you go everywhere flat out, thats for sure.

Indeed! Mine planes @ 4000 rpm, pushes along very nicely at about 4200 @ 45 kph. Consumption is 11.0 L/ hour, or โ‚ฌ14.30. At top end 6000 revs hits 80 kph, consumption is 32.9 L /Hour. โ‚ฌ42.77.. Per hour.
Krikey expensive day at the office that, think that would spoil my day more than going slow, just watching the money disappear out the back of the boat, happy days if you can afford it though ๐Ÿ‘

User avatar
Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 7246
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Neville Fickling » Sun Mar 11 2018 12:05

Fastest Iโ€™ve been in a boat was 70mph in a bass boat in Canada. That was on the speedo not god. My lure box blew out of the back and all my sinking lures sunk!

Danoutdoors
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 26 2016 09:40

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Danoutdoors » Sun Mar 11 2018 13:17

Neville Fickling wrote: โ†‘
Fastest Iโ€™ve been in a boat was 70mph in a bass boat in Canada. That was on the speedo not god. My lure box blew out of the back and all my sinking lures sunk!
Tell the truth! You threw them out so you could get flash new ones from one if the musky shops.. ๐Ÿคฃ

User avatar
Crackoff
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 6722
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Crackoff » Sun Mar 11 2018 13:32

Who remembers Rodder's video of him on a river racing a BMW :thumbs:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

RAB-HENDO
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 4761
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Edmiston Drive VIA paisley

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by RAB-HENDO » Sun Mar 11 2018 17:01

Itโ€™s funny we have a 30 on the back off our mayland, full throttle feels like Iโ€™m on a bullet train๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†in reality we only probably just over 20

Love it๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
DANCES WAE PIKE

Fordey
Captain
Captain
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Oct 28 2011 05:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Fordey » Mon Mar 12 2018 16:35

ANYWAAY.. Big HP engines are not neccessary to catch pike, but are neccessary to power certain boats. They are expensive to run, but there is a "fun" element as well..

User avatar
Nobby C
Major
Major
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Nov 23 2011 06:00

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Nobby C » Mon Mar 12 2018 17:09

Is the vote in favour of four or two stroke? I'm not a petrol head but always thought 4 stroke required less TLC.

User avatar
Neville Fickling
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 7246
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2012 06:00
Location: gainsborough
Contact:

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by Neville Fickling » Mon Mar 12 2018 20:41

Fordey wrote: โ†‘
ANYWAAY.. Big HP engines are not neccessary to catch pike, but are neccessary to power certain boats. They are expensive to run, but there is a "fun" element as well..
Well I can only afford a 40 on my boat but I can blank with that quite well. If I had the money Iโ€™d have a marcraft!

User avatar
pikerholic2
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2878
Joined: Wed Apr 02 2014 19:57
Location: Saturn

Re: Huge hp motors

Post by pikerholic2 » Tue Mar 13 2018 12:12

Robby runs his alloy tub on bewl with a new Honda 40 , man that blasts

28 mph tops , but as nev said , very cold with the wind


Must be like a fairground ride , with a 100 hp +


I hope the netting stops in Ireland , and fishing with a guide on the big western loughs ,

with a BIG outboard will become common place for visiting anglers as the pike fishing has become world class...
Crack Hargreaves...........far out of town.


Mr godfrey I post mostly drivel

Post Reply