Mud weight

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Burnyburnside
Stickleback
Stickleback

Mud weight

Post by Burnyburnside » Thu Apr 04 2019 10:04

I'm looking for a new mud weight for the boat the only ones I can find online cost a bomb, anyone selling any or know where I can get one?

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Mud weight

Post by Mike J » Thu Apr 04 2019 10:14

Why not make your own.

Its not the weight, its the surface area laying on the mud thats important.

Make a mould and cast with concrete with a bit of old chian fixed in the middle.

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 04 2019 10:36

Mike J wrote:
Why not make your own.

Its not the weight, its the surface area laying on the mud thats important.

Make a mould and cast with concrete with a bit of old chian fixed in the middle.
mix it in an old bucket---stick a bit of chain in with a few bolts through the links, let it set, cut bucket off level with concrete.
weigh about 20lb dry before you add water

Marty McD
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Marty McD » Thu Apr 04 2019 10:56

Barbell disc weight with large eye bolt through centre hole.

Job done for a few quid :thumbs:

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Thu Apr 04 2019 11:20

10kg roofing lead flashing, melt down and make ya own pyramid weights......Or get to know a roofer and ask for any old stuff they've stripped off when doing a roof :wink:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

Steve Le maitre
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve Le maitre » Thu Apr 04 2019 12:31

Scroll down a page or two there is a thread on “mud weights”

Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk » Thu Apr 04 2019 12:54

I've found concrete to be unsuitable due to its low density in the water, proper lead or cast iron ones are much better.
The alternative as said above are metal weight lifting weights from Tesco, they are cheap and you can use a few smaller ones together or bigger ones for improved grip. They even sell plastic coated ones which eliminates rust marks on the boat which can be a pig to get off.
Another alternative are old sash window weights, there's plenty on Gumtree and Ebay at the moment https://www.gumtree.com/for-sale/uk/sash+window+weights
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

Burnyburnside
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Burnyburnside » Thu Apr 04 2019 13:52

Thanks for all the replies, some good ideas rather make my own than spend a fortune on one.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Apr 04 2019 16:08

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
10kg roofing lead flashing, melt down and make ya own pyramid weights......Or get to know a roofer and ask for any old stuff they've stripped off when doing a roof :wink:
+1, make one from lead.
Concrete is s***e unless you're always fishing in flat calm conditions with no flow.

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Apr 04 2019 16:21

BillCollins wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:
+1, make one from lead.
Concrete is s***e unless you're always fishing in flat calm conditions with no flow.
My concrete 20lb one worked very well on the Broads and the slower stretches of the Trent Bill, I acquired a market stall anchor weight after some clown chucked it over the side without it being tied on. They are made of lead in a steel case weigh around 25lb.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Apr 04 2019 16:33

The trouble with concrete is that if the weather is "variable" and/or you have a proper sized boat e.g, not a dinghy, then it's hard to maintain a tight line as conc moves around too easily. A lead mudweight of half the weight will also only be a fraction of the size and works much better. I had a 30lb'er for the back of the Seahog and it went in and stayed put in even the roughest conditions. Unfortunately, I chucked it over the back into 25ft one morning before attaching the rope to anything... :clown:

TinnyMan
Roach
Roach

Post by TinnyMan » Thu Apr 04 2019 17:29

BillCollins wrote:
The trouble with concrete is that if the weather is "variable" and/or you have a proper sized boat e.g, not a dinghy, then it's hard to maintain a tight line as conc moves around too easily. A lead mudweight of half the weight will also only be a fraction of the size and works much better. I had a 30lb'er for the back of the Seahog and it went in and stayed put in even the roughest conditions. Unfortunately, I chucked it over the back into 25ft one morning before attaching the rope to anything... :clown:
Not your finest moment Bill! :laughs:
Conor Magrath.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Apr 04 2019 17:40

TinnyMan wrote:
BillCollins wrote:
Not your finest moment Bill! :laughs:
...and I've had a few through the years. :clown: :clown: :clown:

You laughing at me afterwards didn't help... :yours: .. :laughs: :laughs:

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Post by Mattjb » Thu Apr 04 2019 17:44

Also use home made lead ones. The rectangular one we use at the stern and is around 33lb. It was cast in an old backing tin if I remember correctly .The 'Sputnik' is about 30lb and was cast in a piece of 6" Ali downpipe. I heated the lead on the side burner of a barbeque in a strong old saucepan. Be careful you have enough ventilation, preferably outside and make sure lead and mould is bone dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Post by Mattjb » Thu Apr 04 2019 17:44

Above should have read baking tin!

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Apr 04 2019 17:57

Mattjb wrote:
Also use home made lead ones. The rectangular one we use at the stern and is around 33lb. It was cast in an old backing tin if I remember correctly .The 'Sputnik' is about 30lb and was cast in a piece of 6" Ali downpipe. I heated the lead on the side burner of a barbeque in a strong old saucepan. Be careful you have enough ventilation, preferably outside and make sure lead and mould is bone dry.
Mine was a pyramid and made by cutting a suitable triangular piece of plywood and using it to form the pyramid shape in a big bucket of sand. A piece of chain then suspended and the end buried through the bottom of the pyramid shape, preferably with a bolt through it to hold it as otherwise it will float when the lead is poured.

Mattjb
Perch
Perch

Post by Mattjb » Thu Apr 04 2019 18:34

BillCollins wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
Mine was a pyramid and made by cutting a suitable triangular piece of plywood and using it to form the pyramid shape in a big bucket of sand. A piece of chain then suspended and the end buried through the bottom of the pyramid shape, preferably with a bolt through it to hold it as otherwise it will float when the lead is poured.
If I make any more I'll probably make pyramid shaped ones Bill.

r0bert
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by r0bert » Thu Apr 04 2019 22:07

kettle bell weight from lidyl £15 - rubber coated so easy on the bottom of the boat too

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Thu Apr 04 2019 22:35

Lead Lead Lead or a bit of railway track all must have flat sids or bottom IMO as kettlebells can roll about unless you have it in a bucket but that can fall over and crush you little tutsies :hissy: :cry:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :smile:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Fri Apr 05 2019 08:07

Crackoff wrote:
Lead Lead Lead or a bit of railway track all must have flat sids or bottom IMO as kettlebells can roll about unless you have it in a bucket but that can fall over and crush you little tutsies :hissy: :cry:

Railway track :afraid:
Have you ever tried working the stuff?
They are produced from high grade molybdenum steel that work hardens (the clue is they dont wear away).

Best idea so far is using barbell weights especially if they can found with a plastic coating.
As for actual weight, I could anchor a 23footer with a single 6kg grapnel and 2.5kg of chain -- in the open ocean.

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Fri Apr 05 2019 08:16

Mike J wrote:
Crackoff wrote:

They are produced from high grade molybdenum steel that work hardens (the clue is they dont wear away).

Best idea so far is using barbell weights especially if they can found with a plastic coating.
As for actual weight, I could anchor a 23footer with a single 6kg grapnel and 2.5kg of chain -- in the open ocean.
A grapnel is no use at all on a soft muddy bottom though Mike.

Ive got (as most broadland boat anglers have) 2 x 40lb pyramid/triangle lead weight for fishing broadland. And a 6kg Delta + 40ft 8mm closed link chain, 40lb pyramid for the aft for the lakes and deeper waters.

what works on one water possibly isn't the best option for another.. :wink:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

r0bert
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by r0bert » Thu Apr 11 2019 22:21

Kettle Bells I have have a flat bottom so don't roll about and being rubber coated don't do any damage to your boat.

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Fri Apr 12 2019 09:56

r0bert wrote:
Kettle Bells I have have a flat bottom so don't roll about and being rubber coated don't do any damage to your boat.
Might shift about a bit in a swell......
peterhead.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrisdonna
Roach
Roach

Post by chrisdonna » Fri Apr 12 2019 16:01

Burny,
There are a few misconceptions concerning mud weights. No matter how heavy they are they will never totally stop the boat swinging back and fore in a blow. In fact the deeper the water the more this action becomes uncontrollable, although they are better than not having one down at all.
I also think that using a mud weight that is heavy and has a large surface area can also cause problems. I used a steel plate one day on the front of the boat on a wild water and the wind suddenly blew up and due to the rope not being long enough and the weight being solidly fixed on the bottom the boat filled with water with every wave and I nearly sunk.
I now always have a knife handy.
You may ask what using a mud weight on the front of the boat has to do with using it on the stern?
Just as example say the wind starts to blow hard and your front anchor slips and the boat swings around and you try and pull the back weight up and its stuck.
You will go under.
I have no answer to what weight is enough or design is best but I try and use one that can be retrieved easily if required as my back is not what it was.
A friend of mine fishing in the sea dropped a heavy mud weight at the stern of the boat to tackle up and with in 10 seconds the boat (Warrior) went down when the tide turned. I know you are not talking about sea fishing but it is an example of what can happen when you don`t expect it.
Chris Donovan.

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Fri May 17 2019 10:25

I got one of those lead pyramid weights a lad was selling on Facebook. Only used it the once and it looks perfect.

fenfisher55
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by fenfisher55 » Sun May 19 2019 10:21

Nothing will touch a lead Pyramid weight, Rodders made mine a few years ago, nothing will touch them

Andytheammer
Chub
Chub

Post by Andytheammer » Sun May 19 2019 14:54

Jimk2 wrote:
I got one of those lead pyramid weights a lad was selling on Facebook. Only used it the once and it looks perfect.
Was that from Ma Cca Jim?
Was going to pick one up nxt time I was in his area (Bicester near Oxford)

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 » Sun May 19 2019 16:17

Andytheammer wrote:
Jimk2 wrote:
Was that from Ma Cca Jim?
Was going to pick one up nxt time I was in his area (Bicester near Oxford)
Yeah that’s the one, a mate of mine organised the purchase of 2 of them (1 each) Macca got them dropped off at our car when we fished Chew in February.
I’ve only used it once on a deep water lure fishing, it was up and down quite a lot and pinned the boat, creates a good suction too.

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Sun May 19 2019 18:01

Mike J wrote:
Crackoff wrote:

No I pay guys to do that for me :wink: And if they don't wear away why do they have to renew them :scratch: :confused:

Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :smile:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Mon May 20 2019 08:16

Hi Grant
You ask 'why do they have to renew them'?
From my days in engineering college it is because the surface that contacts the wheels slowly widens with age.

:thumbs: