Keel rollers

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Keel rollers

Post by OftenBlank » Fri Apr 05 2019 19:39

Going to service / replace my keel rollers. Looking for information, should the roller rotate on the spindle, or does the spindle rotate in the support, or is it both? Also, do you guys apply marine grease to the rubber / spindle interface or does that make the rubber swell and eventually stop rotating? Cheers lads.

Steve Le maitre
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Keel rollers

Post by Steve Le maitre » Fri Apr 05 2019 19:50

OftenBlank wrote:
Going to service / replace my keel rollers. Looking for information, should the roller rotate on the spindle, or does the spindle rotate in the support, or is it both? Also, do you guys apply marine grease to the rubber / spindle interface or does that make the rubber swell and eventually stop rotating? Cheers lads.
I don’t know the answer but I do know grease attracts dust and grip, all that road dust can’t be good and besides them rollers only do a few turns per launch so the wear would be very minimal.

Steve Le maitre
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Le maitre » Fri Apr 05 2019 19:52

Grip, what the hell is grip ! Grit

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Fri Apr 05 2019 20:37

Good point about the grit and sand getting stuck in the workings

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Sat Apr 06 2019 10:11

Roller is very hard rubber, centre hole is slightly larger than the spindle.
Spindle is steel and fixed in position.
To launch the boat the trailer needs to be submerged so water provides the required lubrication.

:handshake:

Edward.P.A.C
Barbel
Barbel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Post by Edward.P.A.C » Sat Apr 06 2019 12:06

OftenBlank wrote:
I replaced, and upgraded all my keel roller spindles and sleeves last season.

All but 1 where seized on the inner steel sleeve so needed to be cut, then have the spindle knocked out.

I replaced the inner sleeve with 3 needle caged bearings (1 in the centre and 1 each end) and shorter sections of SS sleeve. I lubricated them with copper slip instead of grease.

The boat "glides" off the rollers again now.... :thumbs:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Sat Apr 06 2019 13:08

Cheers guys. Only one of the three rotates and even that one has lots of friction. Time for a new set me thinks.

Cod
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Cod » Sat Apr 06 2019 18:24

Mr Blank,

Why not replace the rubber with nylon ones?

They are far superior in my opion face
Learning is a gift

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Sat Apr 06 2019 18:35

Mr Cod :wave: yes considering doing just that. By the time I’ve refurbished this trailer I could have bought a new one with the money :roll: A previous owner welded up the adjustable side supports just to P me off. :shrug:

norleveller
Perch
Perch

Post by norleveller » Sat Apr 06 2019 21:57

use urethane rollers mostly, preferably with nylon sleeves grease the shafts lightly never have any problems with sticking rollers they spin on the shafts and the shafts will spin in the bracket holes if needed but if the rollers are spinning on the shaft the shaft will usually stay put

andrew_nagel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat Apr 06 2019 22:57

I grease all moving parts on the trailer once a season.

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Thu Apr 11 2019 21:02

If you have a keelband fitted replace with nylon ones or that other one I cannot spell

If you don't have a keelband fitted replace the rubber ones with new rubber ones as nylon can knock the hell out of the gelcoat.

The steel shaft's are a tight fit in the rubber rollers

Spud AKA Edward PAC is right but he has a conpleatly different trailer and boat than yours.

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

Don't forget you lot the only reason this forum exists is because of me :smile:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :smile:

OftenBlank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by OftenBlank » Fri Apr 12 2019 06:25

Cheers Grant. Hopefully I’ll get around to fitting those ‘extra’ bits when all these other things have been sorted. :clap:

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Fri Apr 12 2019 08:26

Mike J wrote:
To launch the boat the trailer needs to be submerged so water provides the required lubrication.

:handshake:

I have to take you to task with this Mike because I don't know where you got that from :scratch:

Nearly all standard spine / keel rollers I'v dealt with new and old have to have the spindle drifted in or out.

When the boat is launchd or retrieved not all of the trailer is submerged (unless it is a bunk trailer) so what lubricates the rollers at the front part of the trailer?

What causes the main problem is that boats get left sat on the trailer for months on end sometimes and this creates flat spots on the rollers mate.

Grant Everson

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Fri Apr 12 2019 08:46

Rollers Ive had were just a solid lump of rubber. Not purchased in the UK but in Europe.
Even got a spare somewhere amongst all the other junk err sorry good stuff :smile:
If I can find it I will post a pic.

Sure they must wear out thats why they are so easy and cheap to replace (presumably) these cunning pirates think of everything.

Works tinnies were just pushed around, onto a trailer or the back of an LWB Landrover and stored upside inside a shed (to prevent theft).
Never kept my own boats on dry land for longer than it took me to pressure wash, dry, prep, anti-foul x 2 and service the engine, 3 days total.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff » Fri Apr 12 2019 08:47

Mike J wrote:
Rollers Ive had were just a solid lump of rubber. Not purchased in the UK but in Europe.
Even got a spare somewhere amongst all the other junk err sorry good stuff :smile:
If I can find it I will post a pic.

Sure they must wear out thats why they are so easy and cheap to replace (presumably) these cunning pirates think of everything.

Works tinnies were just pushed around, onto a trailer or the back of an LWB Landrover and stored upside inside a shed (to prevent theft).
Never kept my own boats on dry land for longer than it took me to pressure wash, dry, prep, anti-foul x 2 and service the engine, 3 days total.

Horses for courses I suppose.
:thumbs:

Grant Everson