Petrol with diesel in it !

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Al Brown 2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Petrol with diesel in it !

Post by Al Brown 2 » Sun Apr 14 2019 22:07

A question for maybe the more technical minded than me, my lad has put 40 litres of unleaded in his diesel golf, I've got 46 litres out of his fuel tank so what do you reckon to putting two stroke oil in it too and giving it a whirl in one of my 3 two stroke outboards ? I've a 4hp Yamaha a 25 mariner and 55 mariner all running on two stroke mix, can anyone see a problem I'm missing ? :thanks:

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Petrol with diesel in it !

Post by Duncan Holmes » Sun Apr 14 2019 22:15

Risk against reward springs to mind.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Sun Apr 14 2019 22:15

For the sake of about fifty quid I wouldn’t risk it, you may have sucked some s**t out of the bottom of his tank and diesel in petrol isn’t going to combust as well, surely it’s not worth risking any outboards, particularly the bigger one for a few quids worth of fuel? Engines have different fuel filters for different fuels for a reason.

Al Brown 2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Al Brown 2 » Sun Apr 14 2019 22:21

suffolk si wrote:
For the sake of about fifty quid I wouldn’t risk it, you may have sucked some s**t out of the bottom of his tank and diesel in petrol isn’t going to combust as well, surely it’s not worth risking any outboards, particularly the bigger one for a few quids worth of fuel? Outboards have different fuel filters for different fuels for a reason.
I get what your saying, it's been in the Jerry cans for three months n I keep looking at it n thinking maybe I will n maybe I shouldnt

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Sun Apr 14 2019 22:24

I think Duncan’s point hit the nail on the head👍

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Apr 14 2019 23:35

I put a gallon of diesel in an old MK3 Cortina estate I had. Realised my mistake and put 5 gallon of petrol in to thin it down.
Me and my mate then set off for an arranged rendezvous with 2 hot fillies we had met in a local pub the night before. There was a bit of smoke but the old Cortina seemed to be weathering it. Almost half way there and there was a cough a big splutter and several destructive sounding crunches and we came to sudden stop. By the time we had legged it to the pub our dates had gone.
Moral of the story is Diesel in petrol engines can seriously feck up your transport (as well as your social life) ---don't do it

Will Smith
Chub
Chub

Post by Will Smith » Tue Apr 16 2019 18:59

I think that as a general rule, its OK to add petrol to diesel (some people do that in cold conditions to prevent the diesel waxing) provided you don't over do it.
But the other way round causes problems as Kev has just mentioned.
Why not put it into a clear 25 litre drum and leave it a while to see if it separates if it does you can probably syphon off one from the other, just a thought !
Will.

Al Brown 2
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Al Brown 2 » Wed Apr 17 2019 21:53

I've had it in clear containers n it doesn't appear to settle or separate at all 😐 just been to A large Scots water for 2 days n didn't take any mixed fuel with me n my 4hp coughed spluttered n died with fresh unleaded mix in it 😧 so ain't gonna be using it in any of them, just thought someone might have done it n had no problems