Reel size for lure fishing

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
steved
Private
Private

Reel size for lure fishing

Postby steved » Thu Dec 07 2017 11:43

Hello All,

New to this forum and new(ish) to pike fishing as well. I’ll get to my question in a minute a bit of background first……. So I’ve been into fly-fishing for yonks but recently got access to a boat because I want to fish rivers for pike. I have fished in Sweden a couple of times for pike on a lure (rapala type thing I think), dragging the lure behind a slowly moving boat and casting out and retrieving while the boat is stationary. I have to say I love it. These are the two methods I would like to do here. So I am slowly accumulating the kit I need. I don't want to fish any lures bigger than say 50g and would also like to go for perch if the pike are snoozing.

So I have bought myself a Fox Rage Ultron 2 wobbler 8.10ft (10-45g) which I am chuffed with although its like a broom stick compared to my fly rod. I intend to put 40lb braid on a reel (so I don't lose any lures if I get snagged up, they’re bloody expensive) which gets to my question. What size reel?? I have done quite a bit of research but there doesn’t seem to be any conclusive answer. Some say 2500 and then others say that as I want to put 40lb braid it should 4000 upwards. Any advise much appreciated. Also I have noticed that some reels have a tiny spool and others have a very large spool on which to load the line. Why is this? I don't see the point of putting loads of line on a spool that wont be used but vice-versa I want to make sure there is enough on there. The diameter of the spool in the middle doesn’t seem to correlate with reel size it just seems to be different with different makes/manufacturers. Again any advice appreciated.

I’m sure you have all seen this sort of thing before so my apologies if this is going over old ground but but im new to this and it is doing my noggin in.

Cheers

Slug
Captain
Captain

Re: Reel size for lure fishing

Postby Slug » Thu Dec 07 2017 11:58

4000 you want just pick a shimano in your price range will do you fine :thumbs:

Mike J
Major
Major

Postby Mike J » Thu Dec 07 2017 13:39

Baitcasting reels eg multipliers in small sizes are all designed around the US markets.
A Curado will cast 1/2oz plastic worm with ease, a 200 size will cast 40gms.
Bulk up the spool with old line eg; backing.

I dont know who designed fly reels but they seem to have got it right, more or less !!

Daniel
Major
Major

Postby Daniel » Thu Dec 07 2017 13:55

4000 size shimano to suit your budget.
Anything smaller won't have the weight to balance the rod.

Des Norris
Private
Private

Postby Des Norris » Thu Dec 07 2017 14:46

I have a shimano exage 4000fd I use for spinning for salmon and it seems a bit small for 40lb braid to be honest.
Des,

Mully
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mully » Fri Dec 08 2017 13:58

I use the same as Des but the rear fighting drag model with 30lb Braid and suits my shimano Katana 7ft 14-40G fine

steved
Private
Private

Postby steved » Fri Dec 08 2017 18:58

Seems fairly conclusive. Thanks gents. Christmas present for self sorted. If only everyone else was as easy to buy for as me. Looking forward to getting out now.

Cheers

Steve

Mully
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mully » Sat Dec 09 2017 01:15

If you do go with the braid option be sure to wind it on tight and use some sort of backing on the spool so the braid can grip. Some people soak their braid in warm water for a short while before winding it on

steved
Private
Private

Postby steved » Today 00:41

Will do Mully. Thanks

Return to “Tackle Forum”