PVA Cable ties

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Dusty22
Sergeant
Sergeant

PVA Cable ties

Post by Dusty22 » Sat Jan 13 2018 01:05

Yes it’s another daft question from yours truly !
When giving your deadbaits the big’un does any on here secure their baits on with the latest PVA invention the PVA Cable ties ?
They seem a good idea to me but is wrapping baiting elastic the better option?

martin(rockape)
Captain
Captain

Re: PVA Cable ties

Post by martin(rockape) » Sat Jan 13 2018 06:46

Don't cast so far, wouldn't suprise me in the least if such products are eventually banned as a pollutant.

Not the answer you were looking for sorry

Regards

Martin

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Sat Jan 13 2018 08:07

Ist thing I would do, Dusty is test one in cold water to see how long it takes to break down.
We often fish in water that is just 4 celsius because that's when it is at its densest and so at the bottom.
People often make mistakes with PVAs dissolving time, in summer its too quick, in winter too slow.
Will the resulting residue in the water put the fish off?
Most frozen baits will take a hell of a cast, 70 yards plus is achievable with fairly normal rigs.
For giving it the real biggun, use a casting clip, quite an easy thing to set up!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.

Slug
Captain
Captain

Post by Slug » Sat Jan 13 2018 11:19

They do melt in cold water I have a few left over from a sample I was given they work well. Pva tape works well too. So does bait elastic. Happy to use any of these :shrug:
Only if definitely needed though don’t go faffing about when you could have your bait in the water which I’ve known to be guilty of in the past.

craig_b
Private
Private

Post by craig_b » Sat Jan 13 2018 13:57

I have started to use them recently, very handy once the the fish has thawed out, perfect for soft baits like sardines. Depending on the size of bait, you may find they are not long enough and have to double them up to increase the length.
Been using the one from Eddie Turner and have been spot on👍👍

spittlebug
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spittlebug » Sat Jan 13 2018 14:01

Jimk2
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Jimk2 » Sat Jan 13 2018 18:17

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Ist thing I would do, Dusty is test one in cold water to see how long it takes to break down.
We often fish in water that is just 4 celsius because that's when it is at its densest and so at the bottom.
People often make mistakes with PVAs dissolving time, in summer its too quick, in winter too slow.
Most frozen baits will take a hell of a cast, 70 yards plus is achievable with fairly normal rigs.
For giving it the real biggun, use a casting clip, quite an easy thing to set up!

Cheers Alan
A long time, I’ve cast out in winter and caught, when unhooking the PVA cable tie was fully intact.

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Sun Jan 14 2018 09:40

Jimk2 wrote:
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:

Cheers Alan
A long time, I’ve cast out in winter and caught, when unhooking the PVA cable tie was fully intact.
That's why I would avoid pva in this situation, great in summer for carp though!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.