End of term tackle review

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
The predator
General
General

End of term tackle review

Post by The predator » Mon Apr 09 2018 10:21

Do you do it? End of season and time to analyse your new tackle.
I've bought two new rods last year and pleased as punch with both of them.
First was a dedicated deadbait wobbling rod - Savage Gear Bushwacker. 8' rated at 15 - 40g casting weight. Soft enough to cast soft deads without ripping their heads off but man enough to set the hooks and a real treat to play fish with.
Second was a Prorex 2.55m, 150g casting weight, jerkbait rod. Again, a treat to use and a lot lighter in the hand than most.
Shimano reels which I have had since the pyramids were built.
Power Pro Super 8 Slick - a really smooth braid with excellent casting capabilities. 65lb test with a diameter of 0.41mm. Well pleased with that one.
Still sticking with 40lb single strand AFW titaniun. This has served me well and I'm not inclined to change.
I'm currently reviewing my tracelets and have an upgraded system for next season.
Hooks, sadly, have been letting me down. I've been using the Owner ST-36RD for a few years but the last two fish of the season actually straightened them! These were a new batch of hooks too. I was talking to a guy in a tackle shop and he said that they are now made in China. Well, wherever they were made it is not an acceptable state of affairs to have them straightened by playing a fish (one was an upper double and the other a lower double). I will be throwing all of them out and mentally debating what new hooks to go for for the new season.
How about you boys? :scratch:
Tight lines chaps :thumbs:
Incumbam, et sternebant

suffolk si
Colonel
Colonel

Re: End of term tackle review

Post by suffolk si » Mon Apr 09 2018 10:41

Only things I really learnt on the tackle front were that I have no faith in drennan titanium wire(kev saved my day or I would have had no traces left!) and that delkims are much better than fox alarms imo. oh also a decent quality large bed chair as opposed to a standard one makes a world of difference to a good nights sleep!

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Mon Apr 09 2018 10:50

Forgot one - both Greys Prowla and Fox floats. The clear air filled ones.......all of them leaking and filling with water.
Do what yer mom says and get some cheap polystyrene sea floats - on the list!
Incumbam, et sternebant

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Mon Apr 09 2018 10:50

suffolk si wrote:
Only things I really learnt on the tackle front were that I have no faith in drennan titanium wire(kev saved my day or I would have had no traces left!) and that delkims are much better than fox alarms imo. oh also a decent quality large bed chair as opposed to a standard one makes a world of difference to a good nights sleep!
Agree with the Delks Si. :thumbs:
Incumbam, et sternebant

suffolk si
Colonel
Colonel

Post by suffolk si » Mon Apr 09 2018 11:25

And I also went with polystyrene sea floats😀👍

alan behenna
Major
Major

Post by alan behenna » Mon Apr 09 2018 12:00

The predator wrote:
Forgot one - both Greys Prowla and Fox floats. The clear air filled ones.......all of them leaking and filling with water.
Do what yer mom says and get some cheap polystyrene sea floats - on the list!

Bin using them for years.

:thumbs:

Jason Skilton
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Apr 09 2018 12:21

Nothing really new in pike gear.....but loving the Gardner ATTs for my perch and roach fishing!
I'm a right blogger http://ananglersdanglinglog.blogspot.com

I'm 67% northern, own a collie (well 1/2 collie).....Doncaster here i come!!!!

PAC Anglian Region LO & Suffolk (08) RO
PAC14 Press Officer

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Mon Apr 09 2018 14:22

Same with the ST36's mate. Tried some VMC 9650's... not convinced on those either as a couple distorted on smaller fish than I was hoping to catch. Seeking alternatives.

AFW 49 strand knottable wire.... best find of the season. Reliable using a figure 8 loop knot. Uptraces for running leads... tie braid to the wire using a nail knot. run ring slips over it... Simples. Does not last as long as the ti but was streamlining the set up.

New Horizon bait boat fishfinder.... colour screen one. Pants... only works when you stop the bait boat ffs! Too much data possibly with colour version? Old Black n white one works ok with the boat on the move.
Love the hit!

John O Grady
Captain
Captain

Post by John O Grady » Mon Apr 09 2018 21:34

My favorite purchase this season were the okuma coldwater reels for trolling, they really are top class for the job, line counters are very handy, good clicker and the gear ratio & handle makes reeling in heavy baits very easy.

Additionally I got a set of waders from wychwoods range of breathables which have been excellent, corfortable to wear and have lasted the whole season without issue which puts them ahead of any of the neoprenes I've owned!

Bad purchases for me include the savage gear boat rod rests which really are absolutely useless and both westin and owner trebles which are bending out far too easy for my liking.

Bargain of the season for me are the Shimano Hyperloop 4000Fb reels. I bought a few two years ago and despite giving them huge abuse they remain super reliable for a reel that cost less than 20 quid!

Carlperkins
WhatsApp Admin
WhatsApp Admin

Post by Carlperkins » Mon Apr 09 2018 21:46

Army softies
Warm as toast
And use seagar floats, a little brass ring stops the braid cutting ing
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

spittlebug
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spittlebug » Tue Apr 10 2018 04:45

Hi, Pikepro Floats, seem a tougher version of sea floats.

Bob

Metalscobes666
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Metalscobes666 » Tue Apr 10 2018 16:29

New kit I got for last season.

Avid XL cradle thing for unhooking pike the one with the adjustable legs, first thoughts after having a beanbag unhooking mat fly away on a windy day and then having to throw lures to snag the damn thing and eventually hooking it then dragging it back against the flow I made a decision to try one of the cradles I looked at a few of them but went with the Avid as it's lighter than the others and I have to admit I'm very impressed with it. I do honestly think this is the future for unhooking specimen fish.

NASH tripod for weighing fish, sounds stupid but this was another good buy I fish mostly alone so this helped me loads for weighing fish. The tripod made my life easier this year.

Fox camo weigh/retention sling, this I initially got for the Tench fishing I do thinking I can catch the Tench put it in this set up the camera equipment then weigh the fish and release it without issues. It saves me putting keepnets in the venue I ended up using this a couple of times this winter for my pike fishing I usually use the old ET weigh sling the pvc plastic one but it's seen better days to be honest so ended up using the fox one as a weigh sling and again I'm impressed with it, I use it lots for the boat fishing where the gear tends to live in a waterproof box to keep it out the rain so when I do catch something worth photographing I can unhook the pike plop her in the retainer lower over the side of the boat set up the camera and then when I'm ready take the photos weigh the fish and get her released quickly.

Dave Lumb D-3 rods, simply put these are epic rods if you need a 13ft 4lb test rod these are what you need trust me they are the dogs danglers. (and no I'm not sponsored by Mr L before anyone asks).

Not so good buys, Trakker big snooze sleep system I picked one of these up for my other half off eBay and comparing it to the old one I still use it seems there's been a real lack of quality control over the years the Velcro seam came away and the zip puller thing broke I did say to the eBay place I got it from and they took it back without issue and refunded me the cost of it but I was really disappointed as the one I got years ago is bombproof I've no idea what changed.
Through adversity to the stars

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Wed Apr 11 2018 17:28

Carlperkins wrote:
Army softies
Warm as toast
Can't find those floats anywhere Perky??? :shrug:
Incumbam, et sternebant

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Wed Apr 11 2018 17:36

The predator wrote:
Carlperkins wrote:
Army softies
Warm as toast
Try the tronix Pred.

https://www.tronixfishing.com/product/t ... ose-float/

Carlperkins
WhatsApp Admin
WhatsApp Admin

Post by Carlperkins » Wed Apr 11 2018 19:28

Will find the link
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

Carlperkins
WhatsApp Admin
WhatsApp Admin

Post by Carlperkins » Wed Apr 11 2018 19:57

Cecil Rhodes

spittlebug
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spittlebug » Thu Apr 12 2018 09:45

Hi, have Tronix Floats etc, PikePro similar, but encased in a tuff outer shell, both do same job thou.
Large PikePro dumpy is large, good when heavy flow or plenty of weed etc, coming down river.
Only used few times thou.

You can get Nash Tripod unbranded, for alot less money.
Carp Zone website or as cheap as £40 eBay, finally ordered one, been going to for last 2 years.
Been using Cygnet weigh staff & Crook, thats good, certainly good/ better if roaming.

Bob

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Thu Apr 12 2018 10:32

Bob Watson wrote:
The predator wrote:
Carlperkins wrote:
Army softies
Warm as toast
Try the tronix Pred.

https://www.tronixfishing.com/product/t ... ose-float/
Thanks Bob. :thumbs:
Incumbam, et sternebant

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Thu Apr 12 2018 10:32

Incumbam, et sternebant

Steve Burke
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve Burke » Thu Apr 12 2018 10:33

I agree that a tripod makes weighing a fish much easier.

I too bought the Carp Zone tripod but passed it on to my brother for beach fishing. I may have been unlucky, but the problem on mine was that 1 of the legs didn't lock firmly enough for my liking, meaning it might slip when weighing a heavy fish that could then get damaged.

I replaced it with a Daiwa one, although I've since found the Sabre one seems to be identical but is much less expensive at only £24.99.

The legs on these work on a different principle and can't slip, but aren't adjustable in height. They're also much lighter but rock steady.

There's a full field test and a pic in the reviews section of the Wingham Fisheries web site.

spittlebug
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spittlebug » Thu Apr 12 2018 18:47

Hi, have to see how i get on with Nash type one then.
But it seemed to best liked on Carp Forums compared to the others, especially for large Carp in France.

Bob

Crispy PAC
Captain
Captain

Post by Crispy PAC » Thu Apr 12 2018 21:02

Trakker fastboil kettle :thumbs:
And my rakerrash drop-offs :thumbs: , but then l’m biased.
Just bought a Prorex 150g not tried it out yet!
Rob Sidell X1’s :cool:
Sneaky Pete

No Pikey, No likey!
Except when they're Stripey

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Thu Apr 12 2018 21:16

ESP lo-pro brolly.

Just big enough for a bedcair and essential gear for a couple of nights, more if you organize well.

The quickest, lightest, easiest shelter I've ever used.

Makes a great day shelter too!

Carlperkins
WhatsApp Admin
WhatsApp Admin

Post by Carlperkins » Thu Apr 12 2018 21:24

Crispy PAC wrote:
Trakker fastboil kettle :thumbs:
And my rakerrash drop-offs :thumbs: , but then l’m biased.
Just bought a Prorex 150g not tried it out yet!
Rob Sidell X1’s :cool:
His rods are pukka

Cecil Rhodes

Metalscobes666
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Metalscobes666 » Mon Apr 16 2018 13:14

I don’t think a big name like Nash or Fox matters as long as the product does the job and it's worth the money. I got the tripod off eBay or one of the Facebook tackle pages I can’t remember but it was a good deal, I think there's a lot of carpists out there who change their gear just to have the most up to date things personally I don’t complain because this means there's good deals out there for gear that’s either brand new or very good quality, I got a set of Ruben Heaton 60lb in 1oz division scales for an absolute steal of a price the reason the fella was selling them was because he went to digital I didn’t mind I picked up a set of the black Ruben Heaton’s with the little Pike and Carp decals in the middle of the scale face for something daft like £30 posted to NI.

I got a set of Fox swivel anchor feet things for the Ranger MKII pod so when I'm fishing on a wooden platform I can screw the pod down to the wood so it's not moving, I also like the Nash but grips to secure the rod to either the bank sticks or the pod. These things:-

Pegs:- https://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/fo ... screw-pegs

Anchor feet things:- https://www.englandangling.co.uk/displa ... ode=RP5763

Nash butt grips:- http://nashtackle.co.uk/products/view/butt-lock

These are just links to random stores that sell them I'm sure you can get them from other places before anyone give it the whole “I don’t like such and such a shop because of A, B or C”

A longer term review I'd like to mention the JRC 2 Rib Brolly and the Overwrap for it for short session fishing shelters this is on the money for me and the Overwrap makes it into a cracking overnight shelter for one man but I mostly use it as a brolly it can take two chairs and assorted gear without any real issues it's light and easy to put up and comes with the usual heavy duty pegs one upgrade I did do for this one is buying some of the screw pegs from Fox that screw into wood there's a slipway and jetty that I fish on where screwing brolly down is a good idea if only to keep the wind off you.

Another thumbs up is Aspen 4 fuel stove for the Coleman duel fuel stove it's better than normal petrol, less smells burns cleaner and not sure if it's hotter but I'd almost swear the kettle boils quicker with it I pick it up in 5 litre jugs with the limited winter fishing I did this year I went through 2 of these I get for about £19 or £20 I can’t remember but I can happily recommend them.
Through adversity to the stars

Andytheammer
Captain
Captain

Post by Andytheammer » Fri Apr 20 2018 14:48

Thought I’d treat myself to one of Dave’s Axiom 7103 rods at the PAC conference.
Those of you who know him will tell you he’s a real pleasure to deal with.
I almost managed to hide the fact I’d bought it, from the better half (Cheers for that Happy Hayes!)
TBF I’ve only bought off the shelf before but this is definitely a different level,
A real joy to be casting with all day long, Matched up with an ABU 6500C3 (I’m a Cack handed git!) & 65lb Power Pro, It has quite a wide casting weight range,
Not managed to use it as much as I’d like to this season but managed to catch a fair few smaller stuff on it,
Highly recommend it.
Starting to think about the P2’s but trying to work out how I can get them without Happy Hayes grassing me to the Old woman!

Happy Hayes
Major
Major

Post by Happy Hayes » Fri Apr 20 2018 23:31

Andytheammer wrote:
Thought I’d treat myself to one of Dave’s Axiom 7103 rods at the PAC conference.
Those of you who know him will tell you he’s a real pleasure to deal with.
I almost managed to hide the fact I’d bought it, from the better half (Cheers for that Happy Hayes!)
TBF I’ve only bought off the shelf before but this is definitely a different level,
A real joy to be casting with all day long, Matched up with an ABU 6500C3 (I’m a Cack handed git!) & 65lb Power Pro, It has quite a wide casting weight range,
Not managed to use it as much as I’d like to this season but managed to catch a fair few smaller stuff on it,
Highly recommend it.
Starting to think about the P2’s but trying to work out how I can get them without Happy Hayes grassing me to the Old woman!

:shrug:
After that comment,I hope you're not planning on spending lots at the lure fair :rasp:

The predator
General
General

Post by The predator » Mon Apr 23 2018 09:04

Yep. Them there lures catch plenty of anglers! :laughs: :thumbs:
Incumbam, et sternebant

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Mon Apr 23 2018 11:41

Been using one of these for two winters now. Love it. Best mat I have found in plenty of years piking. 60 inches and sits like a cradle on the deck. Plenty big enough for any pike swimming in the UK. Carry the rods / brollie / bank sticks in it easily.
Available from Decathlon and badged under their own Capalin range at about £44.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/landing-wei ... 55538.html
1333.JPG
1332.JPG
1331.JPG
Love the hit!

Crispy PAC
Captain
Captain

Post by Crispy PAC » Mon Apr 23 2018 19:42

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Been using one of these for two winters now. Love it. Best mat I have found in plenty of years piking. 60 inches and sits like a cradle on the deck. Plenty big enough for any pike swimming in the UK. Carry the rods / brollie / bank sticks in it easily.
Available from Decathlon and badged under their own Capalin range at about £44.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/landing-wei ... 55538.html

1333.JPG1332.JPG1331.JPG
:thumbs:
Sneaky Pete

No Pikey, No likey!
Except when they're Stripey