Abu servicing.

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
DaveyJ88
Corporal
Corporal

Abu servicing.

Post by DaveyJ88 » Tue Jun 12 2018 15:46

Afternoon gents,

Just curious, how often would you get an Abu 6501c3 serviced? I’ve had mine maybe 8 months now, so far haven’t oiled it or anything as it seems pretty well lubricated. From the 16th it’ll be used nearly every week as I only ever jerkbait for pike. The only time it’s not out with me will be when I’m targeting perch.

Do you do it yourself or send it to someone?

Thanks guys!

Duncan Holmes
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Abu servicing.

Post by Duncan Holmes » Tue Jun 12 2018 17:18

Piece of cake to do it yourself, I strip and clean mine from new and then 'reassemble using cal's reel grease.

It's amazing how much muck and swarf comes out of a new reel. I then service them most years in March when I pack my pike gear away. Not sure it's completely necessary, but doesn't do any harm and it's quite an enjoyable evening sat at the tackle bench with a few tunes on.

Plenty of vids on the net on how to do it.

Thay said a mate of mine has several that are 20 years plus old and have never been opened. :grin:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Tue Jun 12 2018 17:31

Personally....Only when my bearings start to sound like crap do i take them out clean and oil, maybe a dab of oil on the wormgear and the freespool button gets a little oil at the same time. The handle side of things can usually wait a lot longer before a total disassemble.
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

jimmy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jimmy » Tue Jun 12 2018 18:34

None of mine have been touched in years and the main one I use frequently a 5601jb that I bought at the first ever Pac convention I attended must be 10 years ago has never been stripped only the odd bit of oil , I’ve owned a cpl of curados in between and they were like a bag of nuts & bolts in comparison, the old saying if it ain’t broke

DaveyJ88
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DaveyJ88 » Tue Jun 12 2018 20:31

I think I’m going to roll with that jimmy and say if it’s not broken don’t fix it. Will apply oil to the spots crofty mentions. I might save up for an old model and service it just for the practise. Cheers for the advice gents!

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Tue Jun 12 2018 20:45

it is very easy. the only tricky bit I found was my fear that something was going to go skyward when I opened up the handle side of things. there IS a bit inside the handle side that does apparently fly out but ive been lucky and I dont let the black plastic bit come off. I believe the springy bit is under there somewhere :giggle:

I took a few of my mates to give a wee service and just scattered s**t all over the place and sent a pic :giggle:
oops.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

jonsykes
Major
Major

Post by jonsykes » Tue Jun 12 2018 20:48

jimmy wrote:
None of mine have been touched in years and the main one I use frequently a 5601jb that I bought at the first ever Pac convention I attended must be 10 years ago has never been stripped only the odd bit of oil , I’ve owned a cpl of curados in between and they were like a bag of nuts & bolts in comparison, the old saying if it ain’t broke
I have a few reels which were more expensive than my 5601JB - but none get used as much, it is my absolute favourite. I did buy the Svartzonker one (with the pic of a Pike on it) but only because it was too good a price to miss (not used it yet). Very similar reel though. I see there is a 2nd hand ‘unused’ 5601JB on eBay at £120 just now, I think they are around £180 new.

DaveyJ88
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DaveyJ88 » Tue Jun 12 2018 21:06

jonsykes wrote:
jimmy wrote:
I have a few reels which were more expensive than my 5601JB - but none get used as much, it is my absolute favourite. I did buy the Svartzonker one (with the pic of a Pike on it) but only because it was too good a price to miss (not used it yet). Very similar reel though. I see there is a 2nd hand ‘unused’ 5601JB on eBay at £120 just now, I think they are around £180 new.

I fancied the SZ model but I prefer 6501 size which is a shame.

Jsilvia
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jsilvia » Wed Jun 13 2018 14:12

Any idea of the sellers name jonsykes as I cant seem to find it on eBay :scratch:

jonsykes
Major
Major

Post by jonsykes » Wed Jun 13 2018 14:32

Here you go bud. £120 ‘or best offer’. Only one watching, i’d start at £90 tops. It’s hard going selling on there just now, not many buyers. I bought a Shimano Metanium last week which was £195 or best offer & I got it for a bargain £145

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2062138382

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Wed Jun 13 2018 15:03

I've got issues with two of my Abus at the moment.

One screeches like a banshee on the cast (dry bearing?) and another were the spool gives a full turn before the anti-reverse kicks in.

Two questions:

1/ any suggestions?
2/ who do you recommend I send the box of nuts, gears and springy bits to, if it all goes horribly wrong? :scratch:
"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jun 13 2018 15:06

Peter Coogan
1 Holt Ave.
Moreton
Wirral
CH46 0SS

Tel: 0151 6773609

(Should be a sticky really!)

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Wed Jun 13 2018 15:36

John Milford wrote:

One screeches like a banshee on the cast (dry bearing?) and another were the spool gives a full turn before the anti-reverse kicks in.

Two questions:

1/ any suggestions?
2/ who do you recommend I send the box of nuts, gears and springy bits to, if it all goes horribly wrong? :scratch:
yup dry bearings for the first one. I clean with petrol then oil up but it doesnt last long if you fish with it a lot. my 5601 was a used reel when I got it probably sat for a while and screeched like hell even after putting in new oil, it took a while adding more until it went away.

at the time I read on lumbys website to dunk the reel in the water it works as a temp fix and it really did work. temp fix though it will do it again when its dry. I can sense its returning on mines as its not been oiled in about a year.

second one (just the spool turning or the handle too?) you need to get the anti reverse thingy'ma bob out from the handle spindle thingy (yeah I know, dead technical) and give a good clean up and oil, remove the handle and star drag. it looks like the thing pictured in the red box top left. I cant remember if you can get it out by just taking the handle and washers out or if you need to get it from inside. the little metal pins inside the plastic cage should be free to move and change their angle and act like breaks, they get grime and crap in them and dont move quite as wel as they should.
abu-anti-reverse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonsykes
Major
Major

Post by jonsykes » Wed Jun 13 2018 15:39

Top man Pete Coogan, can’t recommend him highly enough. A real gent too.

Duncan Holmes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Wed Jun 13 2018 15:45

John Milford wrote:

Two questions:

1/ any suggestions?

Bearing is easy, if it squeels on the cast it will 99% be a spool bearing so disembling the reel is minor.
Take the spool out, pop out the bearings and wash in lighter fluid.

I load my bearings with with Red Rocket Fuel, heated on a desert spoon over a candle. Drop the bearing in and spin the bearing slowly with a cocktail stick until no more air bubbles come out. This makes sure the bearing is loaded with oil properly.

The anti reverse is a bit more tricky, really depends on the age of the reel whether its an anti reverse bearing or a pawl that is triggered by friction.

On a newer model you might get away with taking off the handle and side plate and cleaning the bearing that sits over the main shaft, if not you need to replace the side plate and bearing

On an older model it could be simple as bending the pawl "ears" that sit on the drive gear or it may need replacing.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Jsilvia
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jsilvia » Wed Jun 13 2018 16:25

jonsykes wrote:
Here you go bud. £120 ‘or best offer’. Only one watching, i’d start at £90 tops. It’s hard going selling on there just now, not many buyers. I bought a Shimano Metanium last week which was £195 or best offer & I got it for a bargain £145

Cheers pal thanks very much for the link. That's why I couldn't find it seller won't ship outside the UK so it won't pop up on eBay.ie :thumbs:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Wed Jun 13 2018 16:53

Thanks Andrew and Duncan :thumbs:

That's a couple of little jobs for me on the next rainy day. :wink:
"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

jonsykes
Major
Major

Post by jonsykes » Wed Jun 13 2018 20:08

Jsilvia wrote:
jonsykes wrote:

Cheers pal thanks very much for the link. That's why I couldn't find it seller won't ship outside the UK so it won't pop up on eBay.ie :thumbs:
No problem, let us know if you buy it.

Jsilvia
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jsilvia » Wed Jun 13 2018 21:21

I'll have to give this one a miss as he won't ship to Ireland . I'll be keeping a eye out for another :wink:

jonsykes
Major
Major

Post by jonsykes » Wed Jun 13 2018 23:02

Is there not a service you can use in Ireland where it’s shipped to an address in N.Ireland & then posted on to you for this sort of thing? I thought i’d posted to some odd address that was something to do with this ... parcel motel?

Jsilvia
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jsilvia » Thu Jun 14 2018 12:26

Your right pal there is my missus is set up for it. I made a offer seller accepted an is happy to ship to Ireland. Big thanks for the heads up been after one of these for a while :smile: . Some good tips lads thanks I'll give the abu's I have a clean .

jonsykes
Major
Major

Post by jonsykes » Thu Jun 14 2018 13:02

No problem bud, hope you like it as much as i do mine.

Jsilvia
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jsilvia » Thu Jun 14 2018 17:45

:thumbs:

Chris b
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Chris b » Fri Jun 15 2018 11:18

Quantum hot sauce grease i like for gears, handles etc and yellow rocket fuel for bearings/IAR/levelwind worm gear.
Tried numerous other greases and most ended up flung all over the place internally(usually making it into the drag washers which is a right pia) where as the quantum stuff seams to stay where you want it also being bright red colour its pretty easy to see where it actually is.