Rod tip protectors

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Post Reply
Nige Johns
Major
Major
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Jul 16 2015 21:20
Location: Bury

Rod tip protectors

Post by Nige Johns » Tue Dec 04 2018 21:46

Is anybody using a sock type protector as opposed to the usual Velcro fastening ones and a decent length ?

User avatar
Wes12
Captain
Captain
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Sep 06 2015 15:45
Location: Sheffield

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Wes12 » Tue Dec 04 2018 21:53

I’ve just switched from the black fox Velcro ones to Nash elasticated tip tops I find it a lot easier

Fish on....
Captain
Captain
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Oct 04 2011 05:00
Location: Fenland

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Fish on.... » Tue Dec 04 2018 21:59

I’ve brought these recently and highly recommend them, light but offer plenty of protection and can be easily stashed away when roving around.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/esp-nyl ... gLvzPD_BwE
Actually know as Danny..

User avatar
Paddy_R
Captain
Captain
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Sep 10 2012 05:00
Location: Éire

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Paddy_R » Tue Dec 04 2018 22:09

Use the NGT Tip & Butt Protectors. Great job. I suppose they're up near 20cm.
A wise man once said nothing

Spen85
Private
Private
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 31 2018 21:41

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Spen85 » Tue Dec 04 2018 22:19

I also use the Nash ones excellent IMO 👍

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3275
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Bob Watson » Wed Dec 05 2018 17:43

Paddy_R wrote:
Use the NGT Tip & Butt Protectors. Great job. I suppose they're up near 20cm.
Me too!

I find them more than adequate.

User avatar
Jimk2
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3929
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Jimk2 » Wed Dec 05 2018 19:33

I've got the fox FX rod tip protectors, very rigid gives good protection. Especially dragging them through bushes and under trees.

Nige Johns
Major
Major
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Jul 16 2015 21:20
Location: Bury

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Nige Johns » Wed Dec 05 2018 20:45

Jimk2 wrote:
I've got the fox FX rod tip protectors, very rigid gives good protection. Especially dragging them through bushes and under trees.
Thanks Jim I’m trying to find a neoprene sock type that is long enough to go over the butt ring :thumbs:

User avatar
Wes12
Captain
Captain
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Sep 06 2015 15:45
Location: Sheffield

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Wes12 » Wed Dec 05 2018 20:57

Nige Johns wrote:
Jimk2 wrote:
I've got the fox FX rod tip protectors, very rigid gives good protection. Especially dragging them through bushes and under trees.
Thanks Jim I’m trying to find a neoprene sock type that is long enough to go over the butt ring :thumbs:
I had some greys prodigy ones a few years ago that we’re big neoprene ones , they might be what your after.

User avatar
Jimk2
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3929
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Jimk2 » Wed Dec 05 2018 20:58

Nige Johns wrote:
Jimk2 wrote:
I've got the fox FX rod tip protectors, very rigid gives good protection. Especially dragging them through bushes and under trees.
Thanks Jim I’m trying to find a neoprene sock type that is long enough to go over the butt ring :thumbs:
Got to be Aqua for you Nige

Steve Burke
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Apr 29 2015 17:48

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Steve Burke » Wed Dec 05 2018 22:40

Nige Johns wrote:
Jimk2 wrote:
I've got the fox FX rod tip protectors, very rigid gives good protection. Especially dragging them through bushes and under trees.
Thanks Jim I’m trying to find a neoprene sock type that is long enough to go over the butt ring :thumbs:
I use the NGT ones that are longer than most at 14 inches.

User avatar
Crispy PAC
Captain
Captain
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Blankburn, East Blankashire

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Crispy PAC » Wed Dec 05 2018 23:55

Use NGT, ESP and Daiwa ones a mixture of padded nylon and neoprene.
However i’ve Sown elastic between tip and butt protectors shorter than the rod sections now they always stay on and very difficult to lose!
The ESP ones are quite long.
Sneaky Pete



No Pikey, No likey!
Except when they're Stripey

Jellybait
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 09 2017 12:44
Location: Eire

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Jellybait » Thu Dec 06 2018 12:19

I use the korum ones and the Maver ones -great protection on rod tip rings etc - altough hard to find ones that fit over large eyes , but they can all be adapted slightly

User avatar
Mike J
Major
Major
Posts: 2494
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Mike J » Thu Dec 06 2018 21:16

The B&Q ones are cut to length according to your personal requirements.

:thumbs: from foam pipe lagging.
Held on by a small slit to accomodate the highest ring on the butt section and secured with a Royal Mail postie band.


Lasts for years and costs next to nothing!

Nige Johns
Major
Major
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Jul 16 2015 21:20
Location: Bury

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Nige Johns » Thu Dec 06 2018 21:50

Mike J wrote:
The B&Q ones are cut to length according to your personal requirements.

:thumbs: from foam pipe lagging.
Held on by a small slit to accomodate the highest ring on the butt section and secured with a Royal Mail postie band.


Lasts for years and costs next to nothing!
Thanks Mike but you can’t get lagging over a butt ring

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 21387
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by davelumb » Thu Dec 06 2018 21:54

These any good? Linky

:laughs:

Or how about these from Eddie Turner? http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... p-360.html

User avatar
Mike J
Major
Major
Posts: 2494
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Mike J » Thu Dec 06 2018 22:06

Nige Johns wrote:
Mike J wrote:
The B&Q ones are cut to length according to your personal requirements.

:thumbs: from foam pipe lagging.
Held on by a small slit to accomodate the highest ring on the butt section and secured with a Royal Mail postie band.


Lasts for years and costs next to nothing!
Thanks Mike but you can’t get lagging over a butt ring


Yes you can.
The lagging has a longitudinal split, it open up and if you cut a latitudinal slit the size of the ring it will snap over the whole ring and hold the protector on vety firmly indeed.

Highly recommended :thumbs:

Nige Johns
Major
Major
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Jul 16 2015 21:20
Location: Bury

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Nige Johns » Thu Dec 06 2018 22:17

davelumb wrote:
These any good? Linky

:laughs:

Or how about these from Eddie Turner? http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... p-360.html
As Captain Mannering would say .................... :grin:

This ET ones are more for wrapping a couple of rods together when swim hopping really but thanks for all your effort :thumbs:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 21387
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by davelumb » Thu Dec 06 2018 22:20

Nige Johns wrote:
davelumb wrote:
These any good? Linky

:laughs:

Or how about these from Eddie Turner? http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... p-360.html
As Captain Mannering would say .................... :grin:

This ET ones are more for wrapping a couple of rods together when swim hopping really but thanks for all your effort :thumbs:
I don't know why you want tip protectors anyway.

Are you going CARP fishing? :boing:

Nige Johns
Major
Major
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Jul 16 2015 21:20
Location: Bury

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Nige Johns » Thu Dec 06 2018 22:31

davelumb wrote:
Nige Johns wrote:
davelumb wrote:
These any good? Linky

:laughs:

Or how about these from Eddie Turner? http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... p-360.html
As Captain Mannering would say .................... :grin:

This ET ones are more for wrapping a couple of rods together when swim hopping really but thanks for all your effort :thumbs:
I don't know why you want tip protectors anyway.

Are you going CARP fishing? :boing:
NO
I just don’t want to add anything to your pension pot :laughs:

martin(rockape)
Captain
Captain
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Nov 14 2014 22:11
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by martin(rockape) » Sat Dec 08 2018 02:17

Sounds like more unnecessary crap to carry to me.

Regards

Martin

User avatar
Mark Phillips
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Aug 30 2011 05:00
Location: Essex

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Mark Phillips » Mon Dec 10 2018 20:36

Nash tip tops are what I use. Got about dozen of them lying around. Always use them when transporting rods on the quiver or just wrapped up with Velcro bands. I also put them on lure rods when they go in the car, protecting the rod, me and the car. As to their use being unnecessary... I'd challenge that, having seen a mate damage a rod on his quiver after walking it into some undergrowth (it was dark at the time, bless him). Done similar things myself many times over, but never damaged my rods as the tips were protected...

norwich lad
Major
Major
Posts: 1078
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Norwich Norfolk

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by norwich lad » Mon Dec 10 2018 21:56

Almost the same as marks post, i use the nash tip tops on all my rods float quiver carp pike etc. the quick release tension bit is good on them as they pull up tight. forever catching low twigs/branches of bushes when on the move. i bought a few pairs when nash were doing £5 a pair yrs ago. still going strong.
Lee Davison,Period Furniture Restoration,Carpentry.in Norfolk.

What You Caught mate, Nothing,Won't fish Here Again!

User avatar
Jimk2
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3929
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Jimk2 » Mon Dec 10 2018 22:05

davelumb wrote:
Nige Johns wrote:
davelumb wrote:
These any good? Linky

:laughs:

Or how about these from Eddie Turner? http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... p-360.html
As Captain Mannering would say .................... :grin:

This ET ones are more for wrapping a couple of rods together when swim hopping really but thanks for all your effort :thumbs:
I don't know why you want tip protectors anyway.

Are you going CARP fishing? :boing:
I learned the hard way Dave, had my 3 x X1’s in a quiver getting bashed about on a long walk. The paint came off the reel seats. Now I use reel protectors and tip protectors.

Huggs
Private
Private
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 10 2018 14:21

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by Huggs » Mon Dec 10 2018 22:50

Eddie turner rod wraps a what i use.

martin(rockape)
Captain
Captain
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Nov 14 2014 22:11
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Rod tip protectors

Post by martin(rockape) » Tue Dec 11 2018 06:10

Mark Phillips wrote:
Nash tip tops are what I use. Got about dozen of them lying around. Always use them when transporting rods on the quiver or just wrapped up with Velcro bands. I also put them on lure rods when they go in the car, protecting the rod, me and the car. As to their use being unnecessary... I'd challenge that, having seen a mate damage a rod on his quiver after walking it into some undergrowth (it was dark at the time, bless him). Done similar things myself many times over, but never damaged my rods as the tips were protected...

Fair enough, have to say that I do carry my quiver balanced on my shoulder as opposed to slung. If anything my rods might be prone to damage whilst moving from swim to swim if moving through trees etc. But watching where I'm going works for me.

Regards

Martin

Post Reply