Diawa prorex 200HLA

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Flipflopjoe
Roach
Roach

Diawa prorex 200HLA

Post by Flipflopjoe » Fri Jan 11 2019 01:42

Hi all,

I’m looking to upgrade my baitcaster set up and I’ve found these reels on offer in veals for £120 which seems the best price and just about in my price range.
Question is.........
....have any of you fine chaps used these reels, or know of someone who uses one to give me an idea if they’re any good and if it’s what I’m after.
I want it to match with a 6-7ft rod that’ll chuck up to 100g lures and also I’d like to use it in the briney on occasion ! It’s description labels it as a saltwater baitcaster but we shouldn’t believe everything we read online should we :suspect:

The only other reels I’ve really seen in my price range that are comparable are the KastKing Spartacus maximus but I’ve heard mixed reviews on KastKing build quality, or the Shimano Grappler BB 201 HG, but I can’t find anywhere if it can be used in saltwater which probably means it shouldn’t :shrug:

Cheers in advance :thumbs:

alan behenna
Chub
Chub

Re: Diawa prorex 200HLA

Post by alan behenna » Fri Jan 11 2019 09:04

For that sort of money (£120), have you considered chasing a "good nick - used" ABU?

:smile:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Fri Jan 11 2019 09:52

Hi Joe
If your a buy it and use it kind of guy Alans advice is spot on.

If you like to tinker/upgrade your reels checkput the Japanese sellers and see what model this reel corresponds to, then check the specs and you will know what upgrades to make to bring it to the standard of a long term hard wearing reel. This is because Japanese anglers will accept nothing but the very best so their manufacturers produce reels for them to the highest standard, its only when the same model goes for export are the built down.

Try here; https://www.plat.co.jp/english/english_top.htm

Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug » Fri Jan 11 2019 11:19

I got one of the prorex rods after seeing a mates one and it’s a quality bit of kit. Never even seen the reels though.
Worth a go it’s not like your buying an unknown brand so I very much doubt you’ll be wasting your money.

Flipflopjoe
Roach
Roach

Post by Flipflopjoe » Fri Jan 11 2019 22:44

Do Diawa not have a very good reputation in the Baitcasting world then ?!?
If I was to look at used Abu reels, what model would I be looking for at that price ?!?

Spicystealth
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Spicystealth » Sat Jan 12 2019 02:02

I had the 300 version for my 150g rod , lovely reel , BUT had to send it back to daiwa as the spool release button kept on engaging mid cast with gear crunching sound and my arm being reached forward

Then had to send the replacement back as it did the same thing , I’m not the only one this has happened to , got a Revo beast now

They are nice and smooth and Not heard or seen any issues with the 200 version on FB sites etc