titanium traces

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Post Reply
tailfin
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 05 2019 17:17

titanium traces

Post by tailfin » Wed Feb 06 2019 17:53

just had my first go at making a "snap tackle" using titanium wire. It didn't go too well. i normally avoid using crimps but obviously had to use them with the titanium. However, after pinching the crimp (yes proper pliers) to make a loop, every time the wire pulled out of the crimp. If ever i crimp other wires i usually tie an overhand knot in the end of the wire before crimping, as an extra insurance so it can't pull through, but this is very difficult (impossible?) with titanium. So.. how do you make a loop with titanium wire?

User avatar
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon Feb 20 2012 06:00
Location: In the heart of Norfolk
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Duncan Holmes » Wed Feb 06 2019 18:30

Tuck then tag end back in the top of the crimp before closing.

Can't pull through then, it has to open the crimp to fail.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

User avatar
John Milford
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: titanium traces

Post by John Milford » Wed Feb 06 2019 18:31

I've not used Ti wire, so stand to be corrected, but I've seen it recommended to leave a long tag end and feed it back into the crimp before compressing it.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

norleveller
Perch
Perch
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Oct 23 2011 05:00
Location: wisbech,cambs

Re: titanium traces

Post by norleveller » Wed Feb 06 2019 21:15

wire through crimp form the loop (dont make it too tight and small as 7 strand ti doesnt like it)back into the crimp push enough thro and then go bak through crimp ,compress the crimp then cut tag end off,never had problems and i use the crimpers with the serrated jaws(fox)

User avatar
Esoxuk
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00
Location: Rotherham
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Esoxuk » Thu Feb 07 2019 09:41

I use the 30lb titanium wire from Nev's shop and crimp with double crimps, but again double it back. The double crimps are more bulky than singles but thicker walled and gives me plenty of confidence especially fitting a loop for the upper treble to hang from.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

User avatar
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Donny Lad

Re: titanium traces

Post by pete webster » Fri Feb 08 2019 14:51

If you don't want to risk making your own try the Gadda baits ones they are very good though they are a tad expensive they won't let you down and will last for ages.

norleveller
Perch
Perch
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Oct 23 2011 05:00
Location: wisbech,cambs

Re: titanium traces

Post by norleveller » Fri Feb 08 2019 20:22

i much prefer making a ti trace up then attach a tracelet on, 60lb afw wire plus two size four eagle claw 774s or a size 6 and 4 combo,once the hooks are fooked pop on another tracelet using a strong split ring(7mm 55lb) job done

User avatar
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 11962
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: In toxicated

Re: titanium traces

Post by The predator » Sat Feb 09 2019 16:16

Are you using the correct size crimps for the Ti? I make my own from AFW single strand Ti. Two crimps per loop and the job's a good one. Never had one fail
Incumbam, et sternebant

cooky
Roach
Roach
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 03 2017 18:35
Location: North Shields

Re: titanium traces

Post by cooky » Sun Feb 10 2019 09:30


Nige Johns
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Jul 16 2015 21:20
Location: Bury

Re: titanium traces

Post by Nige Johns » Sun Feb 10 2019 11:28

cooky wrote:
Not sure about the 5-10% stretch tho’ :scratch: :shrug:

User avatar
rosco
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Oct 02 2011 05:00
Location: Central Scotland

Re: titanium traces

Post by rosco » Sun Feb 10 2019 13:46

Nige Johns wrote:
cooky wrote:
Not sure about the 5-10% stretch tho’ :scratch: :shrug:
K2K Ti wire is the same Nige, under enough tension the wire will stretch then return to it's original state when it is no longer under tension.

Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Bardney on't mud
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Chico 48 PAC » Sun Feb 10 2019 14:36

All ti wire has the stretch factor.
http://www.chicoslures.co.uk
If you use FC for pike then shop elsewhere.

JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
Thumb rings-what the feck are they about?

User avatar
phil.c
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7840
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: kent... But rather live in Mayo.

Re: titanium traces

Post by phil.c » Sun Feb 10 2019 19:24

Chico, I use your solid Titanium traces, but do you do a 7 strand titanium for lighter baits?
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00

Re: titanium traces

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Fri Feb 15 2019 10:39

Double barrel 0.8 or 1.00 crimps.
Spro cup to cup crimping tool.
Got through crimp three times.
Tested this method to destruction with nevs ti wire and Afw which is smaller dia for rated BS.

Plenty of ti wire advice if you search the forums on here.
Love the hit!

User avatar
Esoxuk
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00
Location: Rotherham
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Esoxuk » Fri Feb 15 2019 11:36

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Double barrel 0.8 or 1.00 crimps.
Spro cup to cup crimping tool.
Got through crimp three times.
Tested this method to destruction with nevs ti wire and Afw which is smaller dia for rated BS.

Plenty of ti wire advice if you search the forums on here.
Spot on, bullet proof
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)

Renrag39
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 21 2011 05:00
Location: East Norfolk
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Renrag39 » Fri Feb 15 2019 17:26

Hiya. Fwiw, if you're making bait traces from single strand titanium, I recommend using an articulated trace.
Basically a 12-15" trace with a split ring attaching another 4" trace (stinger)with another split ring on the end. Attach your hooks of choice to both split rings and away you go. looping through a crimp and trying to form a loop in a single length will potentially weaken the trace, sometimes by up to 50% in my tests.
HTH,
Andy

User avatar
John Milford
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: titanium traces

Post by John Milford » Yesterday 14:09

After a particularly 'jack attacky' day last week, I've finally decided to take the plunge and give titanium bait traces a try.

It seems, from what I've read, that Ti is super resilient to kinking, but more brittle than steel? It strikes me with Ti, that using seven strand just 'septuplicates' the chances of a brittle wire breakage?

I've therefore gone for single strand 40 lb b.s.(Cahira Nitinol 0.43mm). Does anyone feel there would be any noticeable disadvantage with single strand Vs 7 strand in this diameter?

Also split rings. I've got plenty of round ones, so are there any pros/cons for round Vs oval?

The construction I'm considering is the simplest possible: Swivel and split ring on main trace and split ring and plain loop on the tracelet. The top split ring to hold the top treble and also connect the tracelet loop. Anyone feel the need for anything extra? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon Feb 20 2012 06:00
Location: In the heart of Norfolk
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Duncan Holmes » Yesterday 14:16

John Milford wrote:
After a particularly 'jack attacky' day last week, I've finally decided to take the plunge and give titanium bait traces a try.

It seems, from what I've read, that Ti is super resilient to kinking, but more brittle than steel? It strikes me with Ti, that using seven strand just 'septuplicates' the chances of a brittle wire breakage?

I've therefore gone for single strand 40 lb b.s.(Cahira Nitinol 0.43mm). Does anyone feel there would be any noticeable disadvantage with single strand Vs 7 strand in this diameter?

Also split rings. I've got plenty of round ones, so are there any pros/cons for round Vs oval?

The construction I'm considering is the simplest possible: Swivel and split ring on main trace and split ring and plain loop on the tracelet. The top split ring to hold the top treble and also connect the tracelet loop. Anyone feel the need for anything extra? :shrug:
That's exactly how I do it John. I buggered about with different things, but came back to this simple method.

Don't make the loops too tight and three times through a single crimp, you shouldn't have any issues.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

User avatar
John Milford
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: titanium traces

Post by John Milford » Yesterday 14:31

Duncan Holmes wrote:
John Milford wrote:
After a particularly 'jack attacky' day last week, I've finally decided to take the plunge and give titanium bait traces a try.

It seems, from what I've read, that Ti is super resilient to kinking, but more brittle than steel? It strikes me with Ti, that using seven strand just 'septuplicates' the chances of a brittle wire breakage?

I've therefore gone for single strand 40 lb b.s.(Cahira Nitinol 0.43mm). Does anyone feel there would be any noticeable disadvantage with single strand Vs 7 strand in this diameter?

Also split rings. I've got plenty of round ones, so are there any pros/cons for round Vs oval?

The construction I'm considering is the simplest possible: Swivel and split ring on main trace and split ring and plain loop on the tracelet. The top split ring to hold the top treble and also connect the tracelet loop. Anyone feel the need for anything extra? :shrug:
That's exactly how I do it John. I buggered about with different things, but came back to this simple method.

Don't make the loops too tight and three times through a single crimp, you shouldn't have any issues.
:thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Slug
Perch
Perch
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Jan 11 2014 21:49

Re: titanium traces

Post by Slug » Yesterday 14:52

Anyone know of any good step by step videos. There used to be one by gaddabaits showing how he made the ones he sells but I can’t find it anymore.
I’ve got all the stuff and always had the intention of switching to/at least trying it for bait traces but never got round to it.
Got some good split rings for it too have a look at the mighty mini ones by afw.

User avatar
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 11962
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: In toxicated

Re: titanium traces

Post by The predator » Yesterday 16:23

Don't you worry about tangles when casting with rigs using split rings? I avoid them when I make up my rigs
Incumbam, et sternebant

User avatar
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon Feb 20 2012 06:00
Location: In the heart of Norfolk
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Duncan Holmes » Yesterday 16:56

The predator wrote:
Don't you worry about tangles when casting with rigs using split rings? I avoid them when I make up my rigs
Its not an issue, but to be fair I only use multi's for pike fishing so every cast is "feathered" anyway.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

User avatar
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 11962
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: In toxicated

Re: titanium traces

Post by The predator » Yesterday 17:05

Yes Duncan, I do too and I use fixed spool but even after feathering the cast, there is little control over how it settles on the bottom and also the undertow or current can upset the presentation
Incumbam, et sternebant

Renrag39
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 21 2011 05:00
Location: East Norfolk
Contact:

Re: titanium traces

Post by Renrag39 » Yesterday 21:49

Once it splashes down, tighten up a touch on the drop. The inherent rigidity of single strand will do the rest and will resist coiling down in any way.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6879
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Just a long chuck from the Shannon...

Re: titanium traces

Post by BillCollins » Yesterday 22:30

As soon as the rig hits the water I always hold a tight line until it touches down, most important in deep water. As soon as the lead lands on the bottom I pull it back a foot or so to straighten the rig. I could never make a 7strand Ti trace that I was happy with. Single strand Knot2Kinky is good stuff and I made bait traces from it for a while, but for me it's got too many bits and pieces, a simple item of tackle being over engineered. I've since gone back to using standard 40lb AFW 7 strand which I'm happier with, it has served well for the last 20 years and making up a batch of traces from time to time is hardly torture, is it ?

norleveller
Perch
Perch
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Oct 23 2011 05:00
Location: wisbech,cambs

Re: titanium traces

Post by norleveller » Yesterday 23:09

i find nevs titanium in 30lb good stuff but u defo dont want to make the loops too tight it doesnt like it , puts too much strain on the wire,havnt had a problem with k2k single strand especially good in the 45lb bsused in conjunction with tracelets

BillCollins
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6879
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Just a long chuck from the Shannon...

Re: titanium traces

Post by BillCollins » Yesterday 23:26

norleveller wrote:
i find nevs titanium in 30lb good stuff but u defo dont want to make the loops too tight it doesnt like it , puts too much strain on the wire,havnt had a problem with k2k single strand especially good in the 45lb bsused in conjunction with tracelets
I've made some uptraces with 75lb K2K and ball bearing swivels, I expect to be on the pension before they need changing. I use it in 55 and 100 for lure traces, I'm sure the same will apply.

Curts
Perch
Perch
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: titanium traces

Post by Curts » Today 10:19

John Milford wrote:
After a particularly 'jack attacky' day last week, I've finally decided to take the plunge and give titanium bait traces a try.

It seems, from what I've read, that Ti is super resilient to kinking, but more brittle than steel? It strikes me with Ti, that using seven strand just 'septuplicates' the chances of a brittle wire breakage?

I've therefore gone for single strand 40 lb b.s.(Cahira Nitinol 0.43mm). Does anyone feel there would be any noticeable disadvantage with single strand Vs 7 strand in this diameter?

Also split rings. I've got plenty of round ones, so are there any pros/cons for round Vs oval?

The construction I'm considering is the simplest possible: Swivel and split ring on main trace and split ring and plain loop on the tracelet. The top split ring to hold the top treble and also connect the tracelet loop. Anyone feel the need for anything extra? :shrug:
Don’t think you’ll be disappointed With Ti John. In terms of longevity Ti lasts forever and on those days when you are Jacked out you will be glad you made the switch. When it comes to construction I think it is down to confidence. Personally I played around with ‘tracelets’ but don’t use them anymore as you can have a few traces made up with different spaced out trebles for different situations. I used to use split rings (owner) but have now settled on using Gemini genie snood clips with a crimp cover pushed over the top. It’s about finding what’s best for you but I enjoyed playing around and trying different things when I made the change.

Post Reply