Question about Spooling up Fixed Spool Reels & shameless bit of self promotion

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Metalscobes666
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Question about Spooling up Fixed Spool Reels & shameless bit of self promotion

Post by Metalscobes666 » Mon Jun 10 2019 11:11

Hello troops it's been a while since I posted on here I tend to move away from the Pike fishing during the summer month's favouring general course fishing.

Looking at my Pike fishing reels I've 4 10000 Xtea Super Baitrunners and 2 XTA big baitrunner Long Casts to load up with mono for this coming season. It's a whole lot of winding I'm swapping out the braid on the spare spools it's been on 6 seasons I've already reverse spooled it so both ends of the braid has seen 3 years so it's time to swap it out for new 50lb Power Pro so that’s 6 spools to do and then there's the mono, I'm planning to use this season is Nash Bullet 20lb so that’s another 4 spools to load. The spare spools for the big baitrunners have 80lb Power Pro on them and that’s only a season old I can count on my hands the times these spools have been used so they are good.

I have an Ace D-Spool attachment that fits onto a battery hand drill that’s a real easy way to strip line off a reel (Linky below) but I am wondering is there some sort of attachment that I can plug into the to wind line onto the reel?

It would make life a whole lot easier, I know there's drill attachments on the market for multiplier reels but I've never seen one for a fixed spool.

Oh and the YouTube channel is still getting angling/ranting/taking the p1ss out of folk on it if you want to have a peek and see what I've been up too here’s the link feel free to subscribe and do the commenting liking sharing things.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxel-L ... 3kfuO40kkA

http://www.acecarp.com/products/line-st ... e-stripper

anyways if anyone knows of such an attachment for a battery drill or a machine to make loading spools less of a baw ache then please let me know.

Tight Lines

Scobes
Through adversity to the stars

YouTube Channel:- https://www.youtube.com/user/metalscobes666
David Scobie Angling Adventures:-https://www.facebook.com/DFSAngling/

martin(rockape)
Perch
Perch

Re: Question about Spooling up Fixed Spool Reels & shameless bit of self promotion

Post by martin(rockape) » Mon Jun 10 2019 21:45

Line lay would be a problem loading a spool with a drill but then you could cast out to the wide blue yonder afterwards to correct that.

Regards

Martin

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Question about Spooling up Fixed Spool Reels & shameless bit of self promotion

Post by Mike J » Tue Jun 11 2019 09:08

I used to spool reels on a commercial jig but a home set-up for fixed spools is relatively simple

Items reqd;
1/4" x 3" threaded bolt - small enough to pass through the centre of the spool
One wing nut to fit thread
Some washers small enough to just fit under the spool and into the top where the drag cap sits.

Assembly;
Onto the bolt - two washers, the spool, two or more washers, the wing nut
CARE - do not over tighten the nut or you could damage the spool

Method;
Tie the line to the spool
Grip the bolt in the chuck of your handrill
Hold the drill in your right hand hand
Hold the spool in your left hand ensuring your fingers can apply pressure to each side of the spool, it helps if its mounted on a spindle (pencil)
With the spool 12-15" from the spool slowly wind the line onto the spool, moving the spool to ensure an even line lay
For braid/PE/Spectra apply as much pressure to the line spool as possible, using a leather glove will help
For mono use just enough pressure to ensure and firm and even line lay, too much pressure and you can crack the rim off the spool

If you want some pics comeback.

NB for multiplier reels the reel must be firmly mounted in a rod handle or suitable jig and the spool mounted on a spindle set-up that allows pressure to be applied. The reel spool is rotated by rubber pad is forced against the spindle thread with sufficient pressure to firmly turn the spool according to the line being spooled.

:handshake:

Metalscobes666
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Metalscobes666 » Tue Jun 11 2019 10:55

Reference the line lay issue, I don’t understand how this would be a problem if your using the a battery powered drill to turn the reel handle your reel should lay the line on the spool as normal shouldn’t it or am I missing something?

I understand every reel is different and each handle will be different in it's own way what I was thinking was something that simply slips over the middle of the handle and turns the reel using a battery operated drill. If the hold in reels where the handle was a uniform size or even if say Shimano or Diawa reels had a uniform size for a specific range of reels then a bit of metal could be machined to fit inside the reel. So you'd take the handle off slip in the bit attach it to a drill and wind on the line.

Ok you'd have to go easy and not just go full speed with the drill but I can imagine the reel attached to a rod the butt of the rod on the floor you'd be sat on a chair one hand operates the drill the other holds the rod and has the line coming through a damp tea towel so the correct pressure is applied when the line is being wound onto the reel. The De-Spooler has a spring inside it sort of a clutch so if the line stops the spooler can hit the clutch and stop spinning something like this would be needed for the reel handle hole thingy bit.

Oh thanks for the replies guys and yea sure send the photos of what you had in mind mate cheers.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Tue Jun 11 2019 11:27

For fixed spools the accepted method has always been to remove the spool from the reel, even with the high end reels. This is because a fixed spool has a worm gear drive system where the force changes through 90degrees which is inherently weaker and unable to take a powered drive.

The gears on a multiplier are direct drive and are built far stronger which allows for fast powered revolutions eg; electric reels.

Line lay on the spool isn't a problem as you do it by simply moving the line spool with your lefthand, plus you've got a naff spool it is far easier to cone the line.

:thumbs:

martin(rockape)
Perch
Perch

Post by martin(rockape) » Tue Jun 11 2019 15:14

Metalscobes666 wrote:
Reference the line lay issue, I don’t understand how this would be a problem if your using the a battery powered drill to turn the reel handle your reel should lay the line on the spool as normal shouldn’t it or am I missing something?
Sorry mate didn't realise that you were using a drill to power the reel handle.

Regards

Martin

Metalscobes666
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Metalscobes666 » Wed Jun 12 2019 09:51

I did the big pits last night I'd put the spools of braid in a bucket of water and left them over night then last night when I was waiting for the wife to finish work I spooled up the big pits I used the last of my mahoosive spool of 50lb power pro chameleon red stuff I picked up a couple of massive 1500yard spools last time I was in Canada way back in 04 can’t imagine braid kept in a box in a house one of them still in the plastic shrink wrapper goes out of date.

I'll make a start on the mono spools over the weekend I'm not fishing this Saturday I've a mortgage appointment to see what I can get so I can buy a house I've a wife who wants more dogs and 5 kids so better find a place to put them as the 2 bed apartment isn't going to cut it.

I was chatting to a carpist friend of mine he was saying they reverse the mono on their spools to get more life out of it got me thinking if it's worth doing or should I just bin the stuff and replace it with new mono, I've already got the spools of Nash Bullet sat in the house. I've also discovered something not so good I've 2 10000 super bait runner Xtea reels that the clutch is slipping when your winding in the line under pressure the two reels in question are on my drifter float rods so they would have been cranking back fish from a bit of a distance one of them was already sent back to Shimano to be fixed and it looks like the same issue is back again this could be the excuse I need for new reel shopping hahaha

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Fri Jun 14 2019 09:00

Clutch problem - strip and clean the drag washers. If it persists replace drag washers, you may need to go direct but the Lady owner will sort it. http://smoothdrag.com/

Braid - soaking is not required. That advice is from the producers of Izorline. Providing it is genuine Spectra it has no shelf life and doesn't deteriote in sun or water. In use cutting back to a smooth surface or the breakout bar is all that is required.

5 nippers and dogs when she has you, what a Lady you have there.