What to do, what to do...

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Post Reply
juttle
Perch
Perch
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Feb 19 2012 06:00

What to do, what to do...

Post by juttle » Mon Sep 14 2020 15:05

I’ve just received two new P2’s courtesy of Mr Lumb, (cheers, Dave!) and very nice they are too! So, getting them set up for when the weather changes, I mounted one of my Wychwood big pit reels, the 65, which is the smaller of the two, and it feels wrong, nothing wrong with either the rods or the reels they just don’t go together, like they REALLY don’t go together! OK, no worries, I’ll try one of my shimano 4000 baitrunners. No, too small, that feels wrong as well!

So, all you lucky P2 owners out there, what works? I’m looking for two reels and need your suggestions as to what will balance these great rods, after all, it’d be a crime to use a pair of Lumby’s best with two lumps of mismatched junk hanging off them!
Bob

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 27630
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by davelumb » Mon Sep 14 2020 15:29

I've got 6000OCs on my P-5s. Might feel a bit heavy on P-2s but they're what I'd look at first.

juttle
Perch
Perch
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Feb 19 2012 06:00

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by juttle » Mon Sep 14 2020 16:57

davelumb wrote:
I've got 6000OCs on my P-5s. Might feel a bit heavy on P-2s but they're what I'd look at first.
Can’t find a pair of those so far, Dave, but how do these compare?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184437541533
Bob

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 27630
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by davelumb » Mon Sep 14 2020 17:05

juttle wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I've got 6000OCs on my P-5s. Might feel a bit heavy on P-2s but they're what I'd look at first.
Can’t find a pair of those so far, Dave, but how do these compare?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184437541533
Much too big.

Something like this would be OK - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-GT45 ... Swj9ZfVzat

Same size reels on P-2s:
Image

On P-5s:
Image

juttle
Perch
Perch
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Feb 19 2012 06:00

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by juttle » Mon Sep 14 2020 17:09

That looks about right, I’ll keep an eye on them and probably end up throwing handfuls of cash at them!

Cheers, Dave!
Bob

Slug
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sat Jan 11 2014 21:49

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by Slug » Mon Sep 14 2020 17:13


MB_pike
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 25 2017 19:05

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by MB_pike » Mon Sep 14 2020 21:11

Use Aero GT-4000 reels on my Tony Kay “P5” rods. Nice balanced set-up

User avatar
Fish on....
Perch
Perch
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Oct 04 2011 05:00
Location: Fenland

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by Fish on.... » Mon Sep 14 2020 21:23

I was planning on 6000D’s, until I had to cancel my order due to losing my job :(

I reckon these would balance them well though, but whether they are worth £200+ I’m not sure

https://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/n ... S_CI4.html
Actually know as Danny..

User avatar
Steve Moore
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Sep 04 2011 05:00

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by Steve Moore » Mon Sep 14 2020 21:25

I Use 4000 oc, heavier and more robust than standard 4000 baitrunners.

juttle
Perch
Perch
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Feb 19 2012 06:00

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by juttle » Mon Sep 14 2020 22:49

Thanks gents, there’s a lot there to think about. I’ve got a pair on watch at present, if that doesn’t work out I’ll work my way through all your suggestions!
Bob

Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 4376
Joined: Fri Sep 09 2011 05:00
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by Jimk2 » Tue Sep 15 2020 06:58

I have a 6000 OC on my P4, 8000 OC’s on my P3’s.

jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2603
Joined: Thu Sep 25 2014 00:11
Location: Barnsley

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by jonsykes » Tue Sep 15 2020 07:43

Would Medium Longcast XT-A's fit the bill? I've a pair to sell if so.

juttle
Perch
Perch
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Feb 19 2012 06:00

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by juttle » Tue Sep 15 2020 08:52

jonsykes wrote:
Would Medium Longcast XT-A's fit the bill? I've a pair to sell if so.
Thanks for the offer Jon. What do they compare with sizewise? I’ve had a bit of a dig about via google and they look fine but it’s impossible to judge the size of them from a picture! Also, how much would you like for them? PM if you’d prefer.
Bob

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6363
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by Mike J » Tue Sep 15 2020 09:10

juttle wrote:
I’ve just received two new P2’s courtesy of Mr Lumb, (cheers, Dave!) and very nice they are too! So, getting them set up for when the weather changes, I mounted one of my Wychwood big pit reels, the 65, which is the smaller of the two, and it feels wrong, nothing wrong with either the rods or the reels they just don’t go together, like they REALLY don’t go together! OK, no worries, I’ll try one of my shimano 4000 baitrunners. No, too small, that feels wrong as well!

So, all you lucky P2 owners out there, what works? I’m looking for two reels and need your suggestions as to what will balance these great rods, after all, it’d be a crime to use a pair of Lumby’s best with two lumps of mismatched junk hanging off them!
What you describe as not right is probably where rod and reel do not seem to be harmonised ie out off balance or tip heavy.
I use Daiwa Seagate 3500 Light reels which puts the balance point just infront of the reel.
Ready to fish the reel, 11ft P2 and 240m 60lb braided line weighs 510gms total.
The Seagate is a very soldly built reel usually found in Japan, the US and Australia, that comes with the large grip as standard.
The Daiwa Caldia 4000 size as sold in Europe is equal to the 3500&4000 sizes sold elsewhere in the world making all parts inc spools interchangeable.
IMG_2131.JPG
I should add the majority of my fishing is highly mobile with a single rod.
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

User avatar
Crackoff
Zander
Zander
Posts: 8000
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lancs

Re: What to do, what to do...

Post by Crackoff » Wed Sep 16 2020 07:14

Mike J wrote:
juttle wrote:
I’ve just received two new P2’s courtesy of Mr Lumb, (cheers, Dave!) and very nice they are too! So, getting them set up for when the weather changes, I mounted one of my Wychwood big pit reels, the 65, which is the smaller of the two, and it feels wrong, nothing wrong with either the rods or the reels they just don’t go together, like they REALLY don’t go together! OK, no worries, I’ll try one of my shimano 4000 baitrunners. No, too small, that feels wrong as well!

So, all you lucky P2 owners out there, what works? I’m looking for two reels and need your suggestions as to what will balance these great rods, after all, it’d be a crime to use a pair of Lumby’s best with two lumps of mismatched junk hanging off them!
What you describe as not right is probably where rod and reel do not seem to be harmonised ie out off balance or tip heavy.
I use Daiwa Seagate 3500 Light reels which puts the balance point just infront of the reel.
Ready to fish the reel, 11ft P2 and 240m 60lb braided line weighs 510gms total.
The Seagate is a very soldly built reel usually found in Japan, the US and Australia, that comes with the large grip as standard.
The Daiwa Caldia 4000 size as sold in Europe is equal to the 3500&4000 sizes sold elsewhere in the world making all parts inc spools interchangeable.

IMG_2131.JPG

I should add the majority of my fishing is highly mobile with a single rod.
.
Mike Mike if there tip HEAVY could always bung some lead in the butt :thumbs: just saying :wink:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

What people say there going todo and what they actually do is two completely different things :wink:

I know a lot about a bit of stuff and a bit about a lot of stuff :wink:

I upset some guys because I tell it as it is :wink:

Post Reply