Travel rod ..

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Stewlaws
Perch
Perch

Travel rod ..

Post by Stewlaws » Sat Oct 17 2020 20:29

Snapped my NGT 4 piece rod this evening on a foray, mine was several years old and with cork handles , having gone online noticed they are now duplon, any rec'd travel rod that are 4 piece multi purpose .... Mine travelled in the car or hold for many a journey, looking to replace likewise if poss ... Suggestions? TIA.

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Travel rod ..

Post by Bob Watson » Sat Oct 17 2020 21:00

As far as 4 piece travel rods go Stew, I'd just buy anther NGT, if you snap it again, you're not going to be heart broken over it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/361435654281?c ... id=7419414

Love mine!
I don't have a nickname :roll:

Andytheammer
Chub
Chub

Post by Andytheammer » Sat Oct 17 2020 21:12

Noticed Eddie Turners website says his Sneakers are out of stock,
Might be worth keeping an eye out for.

zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac » Sat Oct 17 2020 21:36

The sneakers/ ngt intrepid, which are one and the same thing, are no longer in production, ngt have a few travel rods listed on the website but none of them resemble the old intrepid. Great wee rod for the money.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

Andytheammer
Chub
Chub

Post by Andytheammer » Sat Oct 17 2020 21:51

zodiac wrote:
The sneakers/ ngt intrepid, which are one and the same thing, are no longer in production, ngt have a few travel rods listed on the website but none of them resemble the old intrepid. Great wee rod for the money.
That’d be why then! :thumbs:

Bob Watson
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Bob Watson » Sat Oct 17 2020 21:58

zodiac wrote:
Except for the price :laughs:
I don't have a nickname :roll:

Flipflopjoe
Perch
Perch

Post by Flipflopjoe » Sat Oct 17 2020 22:30

I’ve got a SG XLNT and an SG hitch hiker, the later being more expensive but I’d recommend both !
I use the XLNT, which has a heavier rating, as my river/roving Bait rod.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Sun Oct 18 2020 08:50

Stewlaws wrote:
Snapped my NGT 4 piece rod this evening on a foray, mine was several years old and with cork handles , having gone online noticed they are now duplon, any rec'd travel rod that are 4 piece multi purpose .... Mine travelled in the car or hold for many a journey, looking to replace likewise if poss ... Suggestions? TIA.
Which section have you broken Stew? If it's not the tip I've got some pieces of an Et sneaker that I snapped the tip on.

JasonR
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by JasonR » Sun Oct 18 2020 09:45

Rovex 4 piece bass rod, very similar to the NGT rods really, up to 50g and are a good rod.

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Sun Oct 18 2020 09:58

I think I have found the ultimate in travel rods, sadly its a shimmy but you cant have everything.
# STC Mini Tele 27M,
2.7m long, 10-30gm casting weight, packs down to 38cm in a hard protective carry tube.
Not cheap but easily the best for a suitcase or rucksack.

A friend who uses his with small plastics, has had several +20 inc. two in one day.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Stewlaws
Perch
Perch

Post by Stewlaws » Sun Oct 18 2020 10:05

Mattjb wrote:
Stewlaws wrote:
Which section have you broken Stew? If it's not the tip I've got some pieces of an Et sneaker that I snapped the tip on.

Cheers Matt, the. Tip! 😂

Typical as it's a great rod for having in the car without advertising the fact fishing gear is in it... Thanks for the offer though 👍

Stewlaws
Perch
Perch

Post by Stewlaws » Sun Oct 18 2020 10:16

Mike J wrote:
I think I have found the ultimate in travel rods, sadly its a shimmy but you cant have everything.
# STC Mini Tele 27M,
2.7m long, 10-30gm casting weight, packs down to 38cm in a hard protective carry tube.

A friend who uses his with small plastics, has had several +20 inc. two in one day.

When it snapped Mike I was not troubled , had it of been any of my other rods it would of hurt a whole lot more, I find myself travelling a bit more and always have a rod in the vehicle, it's not ideal but switched between lures, wobbling, float set up and ledgering plus trotting on a pin, coastal,canals and rivers, the very fact its compact and portable and tucks away from sight in transit means I've not been targeted by opportunistic thieves ...
Just bidding on another 4 piece , on the rovex...

Steve Moore
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Moore » Sun Oct 18 2020 11:31

Mike J wrote:
# STC Mini Tele 27M,

I used to have the lighter version of that one, I used it for chub and perch, was a cracking rod that landed me pike into mid double as well.
One of my big regrets was selling It.
Not sure why I did tbh.
Might get myself another one :thumbs:

Steve Moore
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve Moore » Sun Oct 18 2020 11:35

Flipflopjoe wrote:
I’ve got a SG XLNT and an SG hitch hiker, the later being more expensive but I’d recommend both !
I use the XLNT, which has a heavier rating, as my river/roving Bait rod.
I also use the sgxlnt 4 piece for reaching out of the way swims on my electric bike.
Beats walking miles :thumbs:

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Sun Oct 18 2020 11:40

Stewlaws wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
Stewlaws wrote:

Cheers Matt, the. Tip! 😂

Typical as it's a great rod for having in the car without advertising the fact fishing gear is in it... Thanks for the offer though 👍
That's a shame , I've got 2 more but I use them now and again. They've been used in the sea and for pike and my daughter uses one for carp.Good rods for kids being 9ft and light.

bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso » Sun Oct 18 2020 12:06

I have a greys grxi 11ft travel rod, packs down to 5 sections. Have used it for salmon fishing, had some nice pike on it and also sea fishing. Still going strong. Comes in a nice sturdy carry case.
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com