Esp 25k jacket 2021

Post by stuartmason » Wed Oct 28 2020 23:46

Any got the new version yet I need to up grade my stuff tia

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Esp 25k jacket 2021

Post by suffolk si » Thu Oct 29 2020 00:04

I’ve got the rep coming into show me it Friday to show me the range,will let you know my thoughtsπŸ‘

stuartmason
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by stuartmason » Thu Oct 29 2020 08:17

Cheers πŸ‘πŸ‘

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Thu Oct 29 2020 09:42

Thought the jacket might be worth a look.

Sales blurb states;
'Highest grade carp fishing waterproofs'

:laughs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Robert Woods
Roach
Roach

Post by Robert Woods » Thu Oct 29 2020 17:45

Mike, why does a carp need waterproofs swimming about in lakes...?

Pikerd74
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Pikerd74 » Thu Oct 29 2020 20:18

I’ve had a look at one today in a local tackle shop, appear to be very well made and comfortable to wear.
I’m desperate to replace my old tracker jacket. It’s starting to disintegrate after 5-6 tough winters. Hope it’s replacement serves me as well!

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Oct 29 2020 21:24

I don't know anything about the ESP gear, but is anyone using the Vass 175 stuff and is it ok ? It seems to be the same or similar material to the old Flexothane, which was (is) excellent at keeping water out. I have a Fortrex jacket which looks to be the same stuff, very waterproof but it's designed more for general purpose/farming and the pockets are'nt much good etc.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Oct 29 2020 21:34

BillCollins wrote: ↑
I don't know anything about the ESP gear, but is anyone using the Vass 175 stuff and is it ok ? It seems to be the same or similar material to the old Flexothane, which was (is) excellent at keeping water out. I have a Fortrex jacket which looks to be the same stuff, very waterproof but it's designed more for general purpose and the pockets are'nt much good etc.
Flexothane, worn by farmers everywhere. :laughs:

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Oct 29 2020 21:41

davelumb wrote: ↑
I don't know anything about the ESP gear, but is anyone using the Vass 175 stuff and is it ok ? It seems to be the same or similar material to the old Flexothane, which was (is) excellent at keeping water out. I have a Fortrex jacket which looks to be the same stuff, very waterproof but it's designed more for general purpose and the pockets are'nt much good etc.
It's good stuff Dave, :grin:
It's just that the garments are'nt really angling orientated...

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Oct 29 2020 21:55

They designs are a bit 'agricultural'. :wink:

This stuff is favoured by farmers with a touch more style consciousness - https://www.farmersfriend.co.uk/brands/gdt-delamere

I have the overtrousers and they do keep the water out. The jackets look a bit more suited to fishing but I have no personal experience of them.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Oct 29 2020 21:58

This stuff is favoured by farmers with a touch more style consciousness - https://www.farmersfriend.co.uk/brands/gdt-delamere

I have the overtrousers and they do keep the water out. The jackets look a bit more suited to fishing but I have no personal experience of them.
:thumbs:
Is it the same stuff Dave ?

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Oct 29 2020 22:01

Similar I'd say. It says it's breathable, but it's not like Goretex/Sympatex stuff, more a rubbery coating on the outside.

I see more Flexothane at the dog trials and agricultural shows, but a fair bit of the Delamere stuff too.

Some of the Flexothane I see is in such a state I wonder if it keeps any water out - unless it has magic water repellent holes!

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Thu Oct 29 2020 22:11

Similar I'd say. It says it's breathable, but it's not like Goretex/Sympatex stuff, more a rubbery coating on the outside.

I see more Flexothane at the dog trials and agricultural shows, but a fair bit of the Delamere stuff too.

Some of the Flexothane I see is in such a state I wonder if it keeps any water out - unless it has magic water repellent holes!
I had a basic Flexothane jacket about 20 years ago and it could definitely be described as waterproof, and breathable. The Fortrex has the same slightly stretchy rubbery feel, it said breathable on the tag and it seems so in use. It's a great jacket only for, as you say, being a bit agricultural in design. I've looked at the Vass 175 stuff in the shop and it feels the same.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Oct 29 2020 22:46

I had a basic Flexothane jacket about 20 years ago and it could definitely be described as waterproof, and breathable. The Fortrex has the same slightly stretchy rubbery feel, it said breathable on the tag and it seems so in use. It's a great jacket only for, as you say, being a bit agricultural in design. I've looked at the Vass 175 stuff in the shop and it feels the same.

Muskie
Roach
Roach

Post by Muskie » Thu Oct 29 2020 23:39

Drennan/ESP are not renowned for their waterproof clothing so far as i am aware. Every couple of years they seem to have some new offering i.e whatever happened to their DRENCH waterproof clothing? Why was it discontinued?

At least with Goretex its proven technology that works.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Fri Oct 30 2020 00:18

Muskie wrote: ↑
Drennan/ESP are not renowned for their waterproof clothing so far as i am aware. Every couple of years they seem to have some new offering i.e whatever happened to their DRENCH waterproof clothing? Why was it discontinued?

I've had a few items of Goretex and to be honest none of them were much good at keeping water out. I think Goretex is a bit hit or miss.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Fri Oct 30 2020 08:53

I've had a few items of Goretex and to be honest none of them were much good at keeping water out. I think Goretex is a bit hit or miss.
I use both depending on how bad it's going to be. Showers or bank fishing under a brolly I wear army goretex coat and aldi bib and brace. Boat fishing in continuous rain or heavy showers I use the fortex air flex coat and bib and brace.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Fri Oct 30 2020 10:58

Mattjb wrote: ↑

I use both depending on how bad it's going to be. Showers or bank fishing under a brolly I wear army goretex coat and aldi bib and brace. Boat fishing in continuous rain or heavy showers I use the fortex air flex coat and bib and brace.
That Fortrex is the jacket that I have Matt. It's the most waterproof jacket I have, it's lined and it can be bought for less than Β£30. The saying that you get what you pay for does'nt seem to always be true, or you could re word it and say that we're subjected to barefaced robbery a lot more often than we think...

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Fri Oct 30 2020 11:37

Mattjb wrote: ↑

That Fortrex is the jacket that I have Matt. It's the most waterproof jacket I have, it's lined and it can be bought for less than Β£30. The saying that you get what you pay for does'nt seem to always be true, or you could re word it and say that we're subjected to barefaced robbery a lot more often than we think...
I was looking about for a bib and brace that was properly waterproof without costing the earth. I stumbled across them on Amazon and there were loads of reviews from farm workers etc so at Β£18 at the time I thought it was worth a punt.
If it's cold I wear it over the aldi one.Only downside is no fly so its unstrap and roll down for p**s! I bought the coat soon after. They look a bit basic but keep the water out!

Muskie
Roach
Roach

Post by Muskie » Fri Oct 30 2020 13:59

I have owned 5 goretex jackets over the last 15 years by Arc Teryx and Simms (constructed with 3 layer goretex) and all have been excellent products and waterproof.

A couple were retired as they wore out from extended use and wear and tear with wear to seams at shoulders from carrying a rucsac etc.

Goretex incorporated into a branded jacket/trousers will be covered by a warranty should it not be waterproof and the jacket/trousers will be replaced free of charge by the retailer/manufacturer as long as you keep the receipt and product has not been subject to extended wear and tear.

My experience is that goretex products are premium products and are worth the money and the warranty is one they stand by.

For most of my fishing i am exposed to the elements all day without brolly/bivvy and therefore being kept dry is critical.

Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire » Fri Oct 30 2020 14:19

Never had any issues with goretex products i have got , I certainly would,nt buy fishing branded clothing .

sebshelton
Perch
Perch

Post by sebshelton » Sat Oct 31 2020 13:49

If I’m going to be sat out in an open boat in the rain (like the last 2 days) I’ll be in my Flexo over trousers & jacket. Basic design but its 100 percent water & wind proof, dries quickly, packs up small & is cheap as chips...πŸ‘πŸ™‚. The down side is that whatever the manufacturer claims it’s about as breathable as a plastic bag.

Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson » Sat Oct 31 2020 14:33

I've heard good stuff about the snugpak SJ series of jackets, totally waterproof and breathable as I'm lead to believe.
I don't have a nickname :roll:

ChrisWales
Perch
Perch

Post by ChrisWales » Sat Oct 31 2020 16:17

I bought the climb8 jacket mentioned in a thread here, the eBay seller clearing them through only has XL now
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35748

Robert Woods
Roach
Roach

Post by Robert Woods » Sat Oct 31 2020 16:43

stuartmason
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by stuartmason » Sat Oct 31 2020 20:44

suffolk si wrote: ↑
I’ve got the rep coming into show me it Friday to show me the range,will let you know my thoughtsπŸ‘
How did it go with the rep

Graham Osbourne
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Graham Osbourne » Sat Oct 31 2020 21:01

I have bought one so will keep you posted. the problem with a lot of waterproof jackets is that we keep them to long ! Pike Anglers are tight buggers

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Sat Oct 31 2020 21:04

stuartmason wrote: ↑
suffolk si wrote: ↑
How did it go with the rep
Sorry ,He put it back to next Friday ( doubt that will happen now!)

bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso » Sat Oct 31 2020 21:08

Bob Watson wrote: ↑
I've heard good stuff about the snugpak SJ series of jackets, totally waterproof and breathable as I'm lead to believe.
Bob I think you'll find the snugpak sjs are more a cold weather jacket, not waterproof.
Meant to be damn toasty all same
Was thinking of a sj9 in green
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com

Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson » Sun Nov 01 2020 09:24

bencarvosso wrote: ↑
Bob Watson wrote: ↑
Bob I think you'll find the snugpak sjs are more a cold weather jacket, not waterproof.
Meant to be damn toasty all same
Was thinking of a sj9 in green
Just checked and you're right Ben, only water repellent!!

Probably usually used with some sort of smock or poncho.
I don't have a nickname :roll: