Floats for big river

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
JimboM
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Floats for big river

Post by JimboM » Tue Jan 12 2021 19:41

Thinking about having a go at deadbaiting at the weekend on my local stretch of river, it's a non-tidal section but it's still a big river with a fair bit of current.
Never done it before but want to try a float ledger rig but need to get a some floats. Might be overthinking this but there's obviously a huge choice so what sort of design\shape and weight of float would be most suitable?

Cheers

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Re: Floats for big river

Post by BillCollins » Tue Jan 12 2021 22:51

You don't need to be too specific, an inline set up is a good start if there's a reasonable flow. Any medium to large sized pike or sea float should be ok. Set it a good bit overdepth, the flow will keep the line tight between the float and the rig so any interest in the bait will still show up straight away. Keep the rod tip high on a single rest and keep as much of the line as possible between the rod and float off the water. Ideally, fish the rig slightly upstream of your position. As often as not, pike will 'drop back' when picking up a bait on the river and you'll spot this quicker fishing as above, particularly with a semi fixed lead.

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Tue Jan 12 2021 23:33

I use these for 80 percent of my river fishing, I look like a noddy but they do the job perfectly for me , nice and buoyant and highly visible ( pretty sure Kev and Karl gave me some funny looks when I first used them though lol)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeff smith
Roach
Roach

Post by jeff smith » Tue Jan 12 2021 23:40

https://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tack ... ts-17.html

The largest ( which needs at leat 3oz to anchor)of Eddie’s floats have served me very well for many years on a deep,fast flowing tidal that I fish.
These floats are fished ‘waggler style’ i.e bottom attachment only, and sit up nicely in the flow when adjusted correctly to varying degrees over depth. They’ll also support a reasonable sized bait on a paternoster.

jeff smith
Roach
Roach

Post by jeff smith » Tue Jan 12 2021 23:42

suffolk si wrote:
I use these for 80 percent of my river fishing, I look like a noddy but they do the job perfectly for me , nice and buoyant and highly visible ( pretty sure Kev and Karl gave me some funny looks when I first used them though lol)
Ha, you beat me to it Si...... great minds😂

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Tue Jan 12 2021 23:43

jeff smith wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
👍There’s some bargain rip off on eBay without the beads too if you want some proper cheap ones

Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel » Wed Jan 13 2021 14:06

f*****g great big sea fishing floats!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Jan 13 2021 14:28

suffolk si wrote:
jeff smith wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
👍There’s some bargain rip off on eBay without the beads too if you want some proper cheap ones
Those connecting beads are as cheap as chips Si (and very good). I just re-stocked and got 60 for under three quid on eBay.

I've used them for years as it's so easy to clip/unclip the floats, but keep the rod rigged up. Also easy to change floats to a different colour tip, for changes in light conditions or surface background refection. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford » Wed Jan 13 2021 14:41

suffolk si wrote:
jeff smith wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
Think that’s where Eddie gets them from😂
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Wed Jan 13 2021 14:43

Daniel wrote:
f*****g great big sea fishing floats!

To right :thumbs:

For;
Cheap as chips, indestructible, reversible, can be piggybacked for extra buoyancy with large baits, can be adapted to add to assembled gear.

Against,
They have no brand name on them - only a problem of you like named tackle.

Last edited by Mike J on Wed Jan 13 2021 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Pikerd74
Roach
Roach

Post by Pikerd74 » Wed Jan 13 2021 14:51

I bought some of these ET floats from the friendly fisherman maybe 10 years ago and they are still going strong! The have a metal insert which does not wear when using braid.... they are like the AK47 of pike floats.
I bought 3 of each type and still have 2 of each unused.
https://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/ ... IDER-.html

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jan 13 2021 18:40

suffolk si wrote:
Made me snigger seeing those floats Si :laughs:
Still went under though :thumbs:
Last edited by Kev Berry on Wed Jan 13 2021 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Wed Jan 13 2021 18:44

Kev Berry wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
Made me snigger seeing those flots Si :laughs:
Yep👍Not as pretty as your handmade ones but did the job.they might get to go under again in a couple of weeks if I can convince the wife to let me out🤣

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Wed Jan 13 2021 18:47

suffolk si wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
Made me snigger seeing those flots Si :laughs:
Yep👍Not as pretty as your handmade ones but did the job.they might get to go under again in a couple of weeks if I can convince the wife to let me out🤣
Been on river today..water was freezing...
Croc blanked
A very rare 2lb jack saved me :laughs:

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Wed Jan 13 2021 19:16

😳😳that’s one more than I will catch in January I reckon🤣

Andytheammer
Chub
Chub

Post by Andytheammer » Wed Jan 13 2021 21:15

John Milford wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
jeff smith wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
Those connecting beads are as cheap as chips Si (and very good). I just re-stocked and got 60 for under three quid on eBay.

I've used them for years as it's so easy to clip/unclip the floats, but keep the rod rigged up. Also easy to change floats to a different colour tip, for changes in light conditions or surface background refection. :thumbs:
Been using these floats with Kellie clips this year :thumbs:

Gaz Jane
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Gaz Jane » Wed Jan 13 2021 23:16

860D47A1-101C-4082-A58B-7A29E24CCE8D.png
I use these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu Jan 14 2021 00:11

Andytheammer wrote:
John Milford wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
jeff smith wrote:
suffolk si wrote:

Been using these floats with Kellie clips this year :thumbs:
I've been making my own for years Andy :thumbs: - out of short lengths of hard rig tube formed into a curve with boiling water and copper wire, then glued into a drilled out JR leger bead.

They're great when there's some depth to create a good locking angle, but I prefer the 'zip slider' beads and a conventional stop in shallower water.

Screenshot_20210113-230402.png
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli » Thu Jan 14 2021 01:22

You using the Kelly clips on rivers? They working ok?
Cheers

JoeNickel
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JoeNickel » Thu Jan 14 2021 02:12

I use these, in 6". Tend to fish overdepth with the floats flat. I like the white base, as it's easier to see the whole float, esp as it gets dark.

I've sometimes thought a smaller float would be better on smaller/calmer waters. Every time I've gone for something more discreet I've regretted it - harder to see, and I'm sure the pike don't give a s**t. These are also chunky enough to suspend a heavy bait on the rare occasions I want to fish up in the water.

20210114_010801.jpg