Best baitrunner on the market

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
fishder
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Best baitrunner on the market

Post by fishder » Sun Feb 21 2021 11:50

great info there lads mark you really seem to know your reels thanks.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Sun Feb 21 2021 14:14

andygregg wrote:
whatever you do dont buy the x aeros they are s***e
100% agree on that, flawed design. You can work around the issues, but why should you? Same applies with all their Aero concept reels, at least every one I have used. For a top end bait runner, they don't even seem as well made as the models below them.

The question was 'current' bait runners, not the older versions - so the consensus is of the ones on sale right now, the OC or D and the DL is as good as any previous version of the same ilk. I think people get the old rose tinted specs out when pouring praise on some of the older versions. If I was pushed on that, the XTE-A I think has been the best they've produced so far - although it has that common issue of having a quiet bait runner clicker - bloody useless in the boat if you nod off. I modify mine by adjusting the bait runner clutch that makes contact with the cog on the bait runner mechanism, you can actually hear it after doing that. Have modified a few of my mates reel the same way, just needs bending back a bit more, so it has more travel and makes more noise as it makes contact with the cog. For pike fishing with floats, where you wouldn't be using bite alarms, it's a Godsend.
Piking Plonker

pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster » Sun Feb 21 2021 15:38

Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:
100% agree on that, flawed design. You can work around the issues, but why should you? Same applies with all their Aero concept reels, at least every one I have used. For a top end bait runner, they don't even seem as well made as the models below them.

The question was 'current' bait runners, not the older versions - so the consensus is of the ones on sale right now, the OC or D and the DL is as good as any previous version of the same ilk. I think people get the old rose tinted specs out when pouring praise on some of the older versions. If I was pushed on that, the XTE-A I think has been the best they've produced so far - although it has that common issue of having a quiet bait runner clicker - bloody useless in the boat if you nod off. I modify mine by adjusting the bait runner clutch that makes contact with the cog on the bait runner mechanism, you can actually hear it after doing that. Have modified a few of my mates reel the same way, just needs bending back a bit more, so it has more travel and makes more noise as it makes contact with the cog. For pike fishing with floats, where you wouldn't be using bite alarms, it's a Godsend.
I don't think Andy had any trouble with the line going under the spool, he had to get new line rollers for all three as the braid had worn a groove in them then he had to send one off because the gears were worn, hence the clunking, now he has another one clunking lol.

I bought three on his recomendation (inside a year of use) and have had them two years with no issues so far, apart from the odd time the line has got behind the spool.

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Mon Feb 22 2021 11:36

I have the 8000 OC's on my boat rods. Great reels but.... Bait runner is a bit "tight". So if you fish of the baitrunner and the fish are a bit finicky.... I had fish dropping baits if I missed the float go. Sent em in for a service to Felindre a couple of weeks back and they called to say slackening the baitrunner is a a common request but that's as good as they get as designed as a sea reel. No adjustment available to them.

Sea rated reels which suit me on the boat as they take more abuse and the knocks they will get. Just using run clips on the rods now when necessary at a couple of places.

Never sure why people spend so much on deadbait reels that sit on the rod rest doing nowt most of the time. My okuma Powerliners cost £35 each in the sale. Very impressed with them but after 4 or is it 5 years they are worn out so buying another set.
Love the hit!

bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso » Mon Feb 22 2021 21:34

I see Glasgow angling still selling the xt range of baitrunners. They were a very solid reel.
My ocs have never missed a beat.
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com

Richard.
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Richard. » Tue Feb 23 2021 00:31

pete webster wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:

I don't think Andy had any trouble with the line going under the spool, he had to get new line rollers for all three as the braid had worn a groove in them then he had to send one off because the gears were worn, hence the clunking, now he has another one clunking lol.

I bought three on his recomendation (inside a year of use) and have had them two years with no issues so far, apart from the odd time the line has got behind the spool.
The internal gearing and worm drive in the aero X reels is exactly the same as the D. If your mate is wearing them out then I’d say there is more to it than shoddy parts.
The issues around the X aero are in the spool design. Short skirt and stupid line guard.
(I don’t like double handles particularly either). But that’s a preference thing. Mechanically they are as solid as a D
Mark mentioned the xtea reels and yes they are as good as rear clutch reels can be. Not great though, the clutch was never as smooth as a front runner but they were ok. Through the summer months I target specimen barbel and they really do let you know where your money Has been spent particularly in the clutch. I’d never buy a rear adjustment clutch reel again for specimen fishing as they just ain’t a patch on the fronts. Including the xtea’s

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Tue Feb 23 2021 13:29

For me... bait reels sit on the bank sticks for hours not doing anything. I don't see the point shelling out lots of money for them. As long as they work well that will do.
Lure fishing reels... totally different story. Top of the range with a good back up repair service.

For the past 12/15 years my bank rods have had reels on which I paid less than £40 each for, generally in a sale somewhere. As long as the clutch is good and the line lay adequate to get a bait 50 yards I am happy.... bait boat available as required over that distance.

Daiwa Regal plus 5000 Br where work horses. I passed these on to Sean for his kids coaching when I got some Okuma powerliners PL860. I just found another set of these to keep me going for another 5 years Lure plus I would guess.

Also just got a couple of the dave lane inspired TFG GXI Big pits for the spod n marker rods but tried em on the new Free spirit bank rods last week and impressed on a couple of outings but.. no baitrunner. Picked up for £39 ea in their 24hr flash sale. Getting another one or maybe three at that price to leave two on the spod n marker rods. Worth a look for those on a budget.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=682414375513888&_rdr
Love the hit!

Jock Gordon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jock Gordon » Tue Feb 23 2021 16:52

Infinities bomb proof and made to last, never been changed since their inception.

Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire » Tue Feb 23 2021 19:08

Jock Gordon wrote:
Infinities bomb proof and made to last, never been changed since their inception.
Have to agree superb reels as are the original shimano longcast, people moan both models are too heavy ! They spend 90% of the time on bank sticks .

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Tue Feb 23 2021 19:40

Jeffire wrote:
Jock Gordon wrote:
Have to agree superb reels as are the original shimano longcast, people moan both models are too heavy ! They spend 90% of the time on bank sticks .
That's not the point I was trying to elude to and failing, obviously :red: Sure, doesn't matter what they weighed when sitting on rests, but carrying three of them for any distance, well, it all adds up and casting wise, I'm pretty sure the lighter the reel, the better, as far as actually casting goes. The old long casts were great reels and served me well, but I still liken them to house bricks when compared to the modern breed of big pits.
Piking Plonker

Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire » Tue Feb 23 2021 19:50

Mark Phillips wrote:
Jeffire wrote:
Jock Gordon wrote:
That's not the point I was trying to elude to and failing, obviously :red: Sure, doesn't matter what they weighed when sitting on rests, but carrying three of them for any distance, well, it all adds up and casting wise, I'm pretty sure the lighter the reel, the better, as far as actually casting goes. The old long casts were great reels and served me well, but I still liken them to house bricks when compared to the modern breed of big pits.
Did,nt read your post ! So you did,nt fail to make a point to me.

Richard.
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Richard. » Tue Feb 23 2021 20:28

Well I agree with mark on this. While rods spend a considerable amount of time on rests, that’s not really where we want them to be...if it was then we’d all carry spanner’s and just bolt the things down.
I want my rod held high with the tip eye pointing at the water. I wouldn’t use the word “lighter” been better personally. balanced is better. A sensibility weighted reel to match the rods weight, length and purpose of the rod makes casting and fish playing a much more pleasant experience.
It’s horrible trying to put out a long ranger with a reel that’s far too heavy for the rod. I can’t comment on shimmys long casts. Never used them. I can say I have no problem putting 8 ounces across the tidal Trent with my 6000d’s married up to 2.75 basia barbel rods. They balance up wonderfully.
Last edited by Richard. on Tue Feb 23 2021 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

andygregg
Perch
Perch

Post by andygregg » Tue Feb 23 2021 20:55

Richard. wrote:
pete webster wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:

The internal gearing and worm drive in the aero X reels is exactly the same as the D. If your mate is wearing them out then I’d say there is more to it than shoddy parts.
The issues around the X aero are in the spool design. Short skirt and stupid line guard.
(I don’t like double handles particularly either). But that’s a preference thing. Mechanically they are as solid as a D
Mark mentioned the xtea reels and yes they are as good as rear clutch reels can be. Not great though, the clutch was never as smooth as a front runner but they were ok. Through the summer months I target specimen barbel and they really do let you know where your money Has been spent particularly in the clutch. I’d never buy a rear adjustment clutch reel again for specimen fishing as they just ain’t a patch on the fronts. Including the xtea’s
Im not the only person to suffer the faulty worm gear problem, my mate had 2 of his 3 go inside 2 yrs.The 8000s are single handle aswell.

Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire » Tue Feb 23 2021 20:58

Yes and a daiwa infinity / shimano longcast on a 13ft 4lb ballista on a large scottish loch balances well, i would,nt use them on shorter lighter rods .My baby ballistas are matched with okuma inception 6000, ballista 12ft 3lb have daiwa emblem x 5000t, etc etc

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Tue Feb 23 2021 21:57

andygregg wrote:
Richard. wrote:
pete webster wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:

Im not the only person to suffer the faulty worm gear problem, my mate had 2 of his 3 go inside 2 yrs.The 8000s are single handle aswell.
Interesting - I've seen very similar comments about faulty gears made about the Ultegra XTD, the reel a lot of carp anglers went nuts for when it was launched. Shimano's marketing department could have won an Oscar for their part in driving sales.
Piking Plonker

Richard.
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Richard. » Tue Feb 23 2021 22:10

andygregg wrote:
Richard. wrote:
pete webster wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:

It’s one to watch out for then if that’s the case. I’ve not known an aero x to spit it’s guts like that personally and I know from having plenty of them apart the gearing and design is exactly the same as the good old D. Maybe there is a certain type of pressure applied in the reel that I’m not aware of that makes em wear quicker. Dunno. I service them frequently and they seem to last. My problem with them is as I’ve pointed out the spool skirt weight saving design they gave it. I know one thing for sure. What ever people do experience from them, I’ll never own another one.

Richard.
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Richard. » Tue Feb 23 2021 22:22

Oh and don’t forget...... a reel is only as reliable as the guy that owns it. Even the bomb proof classic B’s will fail if they are allowed to get a few years consistent hammer without a drop of preventative maintenance.
A reel is just a gear box at the end of the day and they do appreciate a good strip, clean and re lube. How often depends on how much hammer they get. Mine get done every closed season.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Thu Feb 25 2021 19:13

Richard. wrote:
andygregg wrote:
Richard. wrote:
pete webster wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:

It’s one to watch out for then if that’s the case. I’ve not known an aero x to spit it’s guts like that personally and I know from having plenty of them apart the gearing and design is exactly the same as the good old D. Maybe there is a certain type of pressure applied in the reel that I’m not aware of that makes em wear quicker. Dunno. I service them frequently and they seem to last. My problem with them is as I’ve pointed out the spool skirt weight saving design they gave it. I know one thing for sure. What ever people do experience from them, I’ll never own another one.
Could just be a certain batch? Seems hit and miss, as many people report zero problems with X -Aeros. Clearly though, some have been unlucky - over on the carp forums, they get mixed reviews. Chap with two bust reels in Johnson Ross had issues first time he had used them, he got given two replacements there and then. I hope they were OK. He was telling the whole shop how he'd sold his beloved Basias to buy them. I would have kept the Basias, but then they can be a bit twitchy too. Some good info on this thread for those looking to purchase bait runners :thumbs:
Piking Plonker

Richard.
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Richard. » Thu Feb 25 2021 21:09

Mark Phillips wrote:
Richard. wrote:
andygregg wrote:
Richard. wrote:
pete webster wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:

Could just be a certain batch? Seems hit and miss, as many people report zero problems with X -Aeros. Clearly though, some have been unlucky - over on the carp forums, they get mixed reviews. Chap with two bust reels in Johnson Ross had issues first time he had used them, he got given two replacements there and then. I hope they were OK. He was telling the whole shop how he'd sold his beloved Basias to buy them. I would have kept the Basias, but then they can be a bit twitchy too. Some good info on this thread for those looking to purchase bait runners :thumbs:
Sold a pair of basias to buy a pair of X’s. Christ that’s a brave move. I know what I would of kept.
I hope he got lots of change. I never replaced my little x Aero 2500 reels after I sold them. I might look at the little DL2500fa to go on my Chubbing rods. You say they are alright are they Mark?

Old School Piker
Roach
Roach

Post by Old School Piker » Fri Feb 26 2021 11:02

Big Blues/Thunnus 6000f for me. Good build quality and I expect them to last a long time.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Fri Feb 26 2021 11:31

Richard. wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
Richard. wrote:
andygregg wrote:
Richard. wrote:
pete webster wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
andygregg wrote:

Sold a pair of basias to buy a pair of X’s. Christ that’s a brave move. I know what I would of kept.
I hope he got lots of change. I never replaced my little x Aero 2500 reels after I sold them. I might look at the little DL2500fa to go on my Chubbing rods. You say they are alright are they Mark?
Yep, several guys I know of sold perfectly good reels, such as Basia or Tournaments to fund new Ultegra XTD. People were even pre-ordering the things and all the carp mags were fuelling the flames. I think many got a bit of shock when they finally got their hands on the new Shimano. They didn't seem too bad to me, I borrowed a couple in the 5500 size from a mate for a day and they have their plus points, but I don't care too much for Shimano's instant drag and the build quality, they felt cheap and nasty.

I have a pair of DL 4000 FB's - use them mainly for floater fishing, stalking and small water stuff - nice, sold feeling reels - good clutches too. Had them a while now, very decent in my opinion. I originally bought the X-Aero 4000 and straight away had problems with line getting behind the spool - nearly cost me a couple of decent fish too. After a day of that, I put the thing back in the box and returned it for a refund, then bought the DL's. I believe Shimano have now discontinued the X-Aero baitrunners in the smaller 4000 and 2500 sizes?
Piking Plonker

Richard.
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Richard. » Sat Feb 27 2021 01:25

That’s good enough for me.
Thanks Mark I’ll pick up a couple of DL2500FB reels to go on my Harrison Avon rods for chubbing.
Yes same problem here with the x Aeros. Line going up the spool. Not a bad result though. Shoved em on eBay auction and the bidders went mental for them. Ended up coming away with more than I paid for them new.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Sat Feb 27 2021 13:04

Richard. wrote:
That’s good enough for me.
Thanks Mark I’ll pick up a couple of DL2500FB reels to go on my Harrison Avon rods for chubbing.
Yes same problem here with the x Aeros. Line going up the spool. Not a bad result though. Shoved em on eBay auction and the bidders went mental for them. Ended up coming away with more than I paid for them new.
Top man. Despite people reporting issues, they do seem to hold their value and then some. You won't be disappointed with those DL's :thumbs:
Piking Plonker

horseshoe3
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by horseshoe3 » Sun Feb 28 2021 11:47

Tmackmin wrote:
If you want a big pit reel with a baitrunner function then you can't go wrong with a daiwa infinity 5000br.
Had 3 since thay come out, , 1 service 5 years ago by the tackle box , and still great, buy with confidence.