Shimano Reel Service & Repair

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Aldi
Stickleback
Stickleback

Shimano Reel Service & Repair

Post by Aldi » Wed Jun 09 2021 13:11

Hi All

Looking for recommendations for servicing of a pair of GTE 8000's, also one needs repairing (presumed worm shaft failure), i see from another post that Felindre Innovations are rated, any other guys I should be looking to?

Cheers, Al

Slug
Chub
Chub

Re: Shimano Reel Service & Repair

Post by Slug » Wed Jun 09 2021 17:34

Always used felindre. I tried somewhere else was a bit of a disaster so went back to felindre.

OLDESOX
Chub
Chub

Post by OLDESOX » Wed Jun 09 2021 17:41

in topic above loads will come up for sure
retired so time to smell the roses.

Lee7499
Perch
Perch

Post by Lee7499 » Wed Jun 09 2021 17:43

Stick with Felindre ,top fellas and always reliable and quick.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall

pikin
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by pikin » Wed Jun 09 2021 17:45

https://scontent.fman4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=60E579C1

I have used this chap. I cannot fault him.

martin(rockape)
Chub
Chub

Post by martin(rockape) » Wed Jun 09 2021 19:40

Aldi wrote:
Hi All

Looking for recommendations for servicing of a pair of GTE 8000's, also one needs repairing (presumed worm shaft failure), i see from another post that Felindre Innovations are rated, any other guys I should be looking to?

Cheers, Al
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42357

Good service, quick turn around.

Regards

Martin

Aldi
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Aldi » Thu Jun 10 2021 09:37

Thanks guys, Felindre it is :thumbs:

ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales » Thu Jun 10 2021 09:51

John at "reel value" is highly regarded if you are still looking
http://www.reelvalue.co.uk/

Steve Stillwell
Roach
Roach

Post by Steve Stillwell » Thu Jun 10 2021 11:31

Ditto Felindre,been using them for years.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Thu Jun 10 2021 19:48

I get Shimano parts from Felindre, very good to deal with and if you must, they do get good reviews for servicing. I would however say, reel servicing and repair is such an easy DIY job, I just wouldn't even consider paying someone to do it for me and also, stand the risk of my reels getting lost in the post. Each to their own I suppose.
Piking Plonker

zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac » Thu Jun 10 2021 21:39

Mark Phillips wrote:
I get Shimano parts from Felindre, very good to deal with and if you must, they do get good reviews for servicing. I would however say, reel servicing and repair is such an easy DIY job, I just wouldn't even consider paying someone to do it for me and also, stand the risk of my reels getting lost in the post. Each to their own I suppose.

It's the time factor for me though, between work and family I get little enough free time as it is. And whatever free time I get, I'd rather not spend it mucking about with reels, when I can get someone else to do it for a few quid.
Tony McTaggart, I believe he's a member on here, is who a lot of the Scots lads use for reel servicing. Very highly recommended.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

Richard.
Roach
Roach

Post by Richard. » Thu Jun 10 2021 23:04

I do all my own reels and quite afew for others that don’t want to do their own aswell.
Felindre Is good for getting bits if you need them, generally they have a good stock of spares for the obsolete reels.
You don’t need to strip every single screw and spring out of a reel to service it, you just need to gain access to the serviceable parts and it shouldn’t take longer than 20-30mins for a typical shimano Baitrunner but that does depend on how much s**t you need to clean out. The cleaning is the most time consuming part.
It’s the one reason I refuse to buy second hand reels because you can guarantee the numpty that had it before either rammed it full of grease to the point it’s a work out to turn or it never saw a screwdriver for 10 years and no amount of tlc can revive it of all that loose sloppy wear.
Last edited by Richard. on Thu Jun 10 2021 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Thu Jun 10 2021 23:16

zodiac wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:

It's the time factor for me though, between work and family I get little enough free time as it is. And whatever free time I get, I'd rather not spend it mucking about with reels, when I can get someone else to do it for a few quid.
Tony McTaggart, I believe he's a member on here, is who a lot of the Scots lads use for reel servicing. Very highly recommended.
:thumbs: like I said, each to their own. I actually quite enjoy servicing my reels, it's quite relaxing and I would say, it's hardly time consuming. Last weekend, I did a complete strip, clean and service on a C3 5601 whilst watching the Grand Prix, 'took me about 25 minutes. Sadly, I could probably service a C3 blindfolded I've done so many :dizzy:
Piking Plonker

zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac » Thu Jun 10 2021 23:40

Mark Phillips wrote:
zodiac wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:

:thumbs: like I said, each to their own. I actually quite enjoy servicing my reels, it's quite relaxing and I would say, it's hardly time consuming. Last weekend, I did a complete strip, clean and service on a C3 5601 whilst watching the Grand Prix, 'took me about 25 minutes. Sadly, I could probably service a C3 blindfolded I've done so many :dizzy:
Mark, I have a 4 year old, a 7 year old , and 12 year old. If I'm lucky enough to have a spare 25 minutes, which isn't often, I tend to spend it lying on the couch, in my pants, with a cup of tea, watching an episode of Alan Partridge.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

Aldi
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Aldi » Yesterday 10:51

Mark Phillips wrote:
It's a job i'd love to take on as i'm a hands-on person, but with running a business, house renovations and kids in the mix I barely have time to go fishing let alone fix and maintain the reels unfortunately :shrug:

horseshoe3
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by horseshoe3 » Yesterday 16:04

Mark when do you know you need new parts

Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns » Yesterday 17:17

horseshoe3 wrote:
When they’ve got dust on them

Richard.
Roach
Roach

Post by Richard. » Yesterday 22:27

horseshoe3 wrote:
You don’t replace parts unless something has either broken or worn out. In either case you’ll unmistakably know.

The worst one I know of for needing replacement parts through wear was the plastic bushes shimano used on their budget reels instead of bearings. Even with an annual lubrication service the ID would wear out.
It’s actually cheaper and easier to drop a bearing in there as a replacement nowadays then find replacement bushes. Nice upgrade too.
Line rollers are often plastic bushes, running inside steel rollers. They can wear out fairly quickly too if allowed to get filled with grit and s***e.