Barbel net.

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Barbel net.

Post by Rob1980 » Mon Jul 12 2021 13:16

Looking for recommendations for a barbel/general river net,preferably folding and as light as possible.what do you lads use or recommend.
Cheers

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Re: Barbel net.

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Jul 12 2021 15:38

Korum 30 inch latex
Doesnt fold but they do a folding non latex one

Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott » Mon Jul 12 2021 15:43

I just use a normal 36" triangle net

Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel » Mon Jul 12 2021 19:54

Kev Berry wrote:
Korum 30 inch latex
I use the latex net, it's pretty much the perfect barbel net imo.

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Mon Jul 12 2021 21:25

I use a Whitlock, they are probably the finest folding extending nets ever made.
It is hardly surpising as it was designed made by an Avon angler and coincidentally the same net used by Ray Walton.

I don't fish for barbel, mine is for salmon, pike and sea trout.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Richard.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richard. » Sun Jul 18 2021 10:59

Kev Berry wrote:
Korum 30 inch latex
Fine for fish of 7,8,9 lb but it’s not deep enough to rest a proper one sufficiently imo and that’s the same with their new all metal spreader version.

I use a rubber mesh 36 triangle for barbel which’s is also a meter deep. It’s the depth that’s the most important dimension because barbel will spend more time in your landing net than any other species

OLDESOX
Chub
Chub

Post by OLDESOX » Sun Jul 18 2021 11:30

Richard. wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Korum 30 inch latex
Fine for fish of 7,8,9 lb but it’s not deep enough to rest a proper one sufficiently imo and that’s the same with their new all metal spreader version.

I use a rubber mesh 36 triangle for barbel which’s is also a meter deep. It’s the depth that’s the most important dimension because barbel will spend more time in your landing net than any other species
what he said korum 30" folding is ok wish you could buy latex net to fit?
retired so time to smell the roses.

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Jul 18 2021 17:03

Richard. wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Korum 30 inch latex

Ive had barbel to 14.12 in it no problem

As for resting them....stop twatting around with them and use proper tackle....YOU are causing them to need resting.
Get em in quick and get em back quick ....stop fecking around playing them too long on inadequate tackle
and why the feck are people taking pics of sub 12 pounders....they common as rats.

Richard.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richard. » Sun Jul 18 2021 18:36

Kev Berry wrote:
Richard. wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Korum 30 inch latex

As for resting them....stop twatting around with them and use proper tackle....YOU are causing them to need resting.
Get em in quick and get em back quick ....stop fecking around playing them too long on inadequate tackle
and why the feck are people taking pics of sub 12 pounders....they common as rats.
Kev.
barbel have been on my number one list for a long time and one thing I can guarantee is I am plenty geared up to extract them quickly.
You never get a barbel back quick you recover it properly especially in summer Because it doesn’t matter how well geared you go in they put absolutely everything in to the fight
Round my way we have rivers that have produced them to 20lb plus. You wouldn’t attempt a 15 - 20lb pike into a Korum spoon and see that as acceptable and it’s certainly not acceptable with specimen barbel. 36 minimum and deep or don’t bother. I rest every fish until she’s powering to get off and I’ve caught lots of them more than once so the process adopted by many good anglers certainly works.
I agree with the one point though. Photos and weighing every fish is bonkers. I’ll weigh afew nice doubles but most stay simply as memory’s or a quick shot on the mat.

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Jul 18 2021 18:53

Richard. wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Richard. wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Korum 30 inch latex

Kev.
barbel have been on my number one list for a long time and one thing I can guarantee is I am plenty geared up to extract them quickly.
You never get a barbel back quick you recover it properly especially in summer Because it doesn’t matter how well geared you go in they put absolutely everything in to the fight
Round my way we have rivers that have produced them to 20lb plus. You wouldn’t attempt a 15 - 20lb pike into a Korum spoon and see that as acceptable and it’s certainly not acceptable with specimen barbel. 36 minimum and deep or don’t bother. I rest every fish until she’s powering to get off and I’ve caught lots of them more than once so the process adopted by many good anglers certainly works.
I agree with the one point though. Photos and weighing every fish is bonkers. I’ll weigh afew nice doubles but most stay simply as memory’s or a quick shot on the mat.
I dont fish for barbel when the water is warm...thats the biggest killer and what makes it necessary to recover them.
Ive had pike to 24 in a korum net...not through choice. Never had a problem getting a barbel in one
Taking barbel out the water when its warm fecks them as well..
Get em in quick and get em back quick....sometimes the margins on the Trent are much warmer than the main flow no use keeping them there....I and many others hold them by the tail on return...not normally hanging onto it very long before they pull out your hand.
Ive just measured my fox boat net, the original round one and the korum.
Its about an inch and a half longer and 3 inch wider than the korum net. Mesh is 31 deep for korum and 40 inch deep on the fox
Ive had a 20 plus pike and a double figure barbel in the fox at the same time

Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 18 2021 19:27

Personally I've always found barbel go back easily as long as I give them a few minutes in the net BEFORE unhooking.
Let them get their breath back before lifting them out and they take seconds to power off after release.

Richard.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richard. » Sun Jul 18 2021 19:34

I’ll certainly avoid them when the water temps are up but summer barbel fishing is perfectly safe to do if you follow a good handling practice and monitor your rivers temperature.
Most are unhooked in the net and left to recover head up steam in a pacy bit of water. Doesn’t take long but is vital imo and having the right Net with decent depth makes this job far easier on the fish.
I will retain therm in the net until they recover both before and after I’ve unhooked them and they go away full of power.
You always know if you’ve done it right because if she does need to be laid on a mat, she should be kicking and thrashing to get off. Instant recovery as soon as she’s netted is the best thing you can do for barbel imo.

SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG » Mon Jul 19 2021 17:07

I would second Kev’s recommendation for the Korum latex 30 net. It’s tough and well made....I’ve had carp up to 39 in mine this year whilst targeting tench so I can be confident that it will handle any barbel that swims.

Good advice regarding letting barbel recover. The priority is to rest them before and after the unhooking, weighing and photography. Think about it, the fish has given its all during the fight and to remove it from the water immediately is what causes a lot of the problems IMO. During a hot summer a couple of years ago I saw more than one dead barbel floating down the river. Look after them.

Richard.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richard. » Mon Jul 19 2021 19:56

SamG wrote:
I would second Kev’s recommendation for the Korum latex 30 net. It’s tough and well made....I’ve had carp up to 39 in mine this year whilst targeting tench so I can be confident that it will handle any barbel that swims.

Good advice regarding letting barbel recover. The priority is to rest them before and after the unhooking, weighing and photography. Think about it, the fish has given its all during the fight and to remove it from the water immediately is what causes a lot of the problems IMO. During a hot summer a couple of years ago I saw more than one dead barbel floating down the river. Look after them.
It’s a problem and it’s often caused by anglers coming over to barbel after spending a long time fishing for much more heat tolerant species like carp and tench. Barbel fishing has proper boomed in the last few years with more people having a crack at it and treat them in the same way. Long time out the water. Every one photographed. No recovery practice at all.
There’s no excuse for it.

Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 » Mon Jul 19 2021 20:41

Looks like a korum net it is then.
Cheers lads

SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG » Mon Jul 19 2021 21:34

Richard. wrote:
SamG wrote:

It’s a problem and it’s often caused by anglers coming over to barbel after spending a long time fishing for much more heat tolerant species like carp and tench. Barbel fishing has proper boomed in the last few years with more people having a crack at it and treat them in the same way. Long time out the water. Every one photographed. No recovery practice at all.
There’s no excuse for it.
Yes, I expect that you are correct. Fish care is not as well publicized as the latest tackle fad, precisely because there is no money in it. No product.

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Jul 19 2021 22:47

Ive had a look through various Barbel forums.
None seem convinced that any net is right.
Some even advocate a 42" net....best of luck hanging onto that on the tidal trent with a couple of foot on it :grin:
Seems the korda net is what most consider to be the best of a bad bunch. I cant fault it.

Richard.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richard. » Tue Jul 20 2021 07:48

Kev Berry wrote:
Ive had a look through various Barbel forums.
None seem convinced that any net is right.
Some even advocate a 42" net....best of luck hanging onto that on the tidal trent with a couple of foot on it :grin:
Seems the korda net is what most consider to be the best of a bad bunch. I cant fault it.
I’ve got one myself the latex non folding version and I agree it’s a good Net and it will net up big fish no problem, I just don’t think it’s deep or roomy enough to recover them in. I’ve caught them to 16lb in rivers you can almost literally jump across. This ain’t the tidal Trent, they take time to recover and imo you need something that she can lay in at full length and get her steam back.
River Wye, upper Lea or swale where doubles are not common then great it’s ideal but places where a monster is possible I’d bring a proper net.

SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG » Tue Jul 20 2021 10:14

I do agree Richard that the net could be a bit deeper. That would be my only criticism though and there are pros and cons with every barbel net which I have looked at.

Richard.
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richard. » Tue Jul 20 2021 12:50

SamG wrote:
I do agree Richard that the net could be a bit deeper. That would be my only criticism though and there are pros and cons with every barbel net which I have looked at.
Absolutely mate and the biggest con with mine is also the reason I bought it. The depth. Brilliant for resting a big fish but the bloody thing gets caught on absolutely everything if like me you like to rove in the jungle territory

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Tue Jul 20 2021 18:43

Several dead ones floating down at collingham according to my mate who is there today, can’t say I’m surprised on that stretch...

Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry » Tue Jul 20 2021 22:47

suffolk si wrote:
Several dead ones floating down at collingham according to my mate who is there today, can’t say I’m surprised on that stretch...
Theres a couple of t***s on fb saying its in season and im fishing

Need banning

Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D » Wed Jul 21 2021 08:35

suffolk si wrote:
Is your mate fishing for barbel too Si ?

Korum used to do a 32” latex net , it was deeper than the 30” and spot on , Shame they stopped making that size , I ended up replacing mine with the large square speci net they do as it’s deeper than the 30” Latex spoon one.

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Wed Jul 21 2021 10:05

Steve D wrote:
suffolk si wrote:

Korum used to do a 32” latex net , it was deeper than the 30” and spot on , Shame they stopped making that size , I ended up replacing mine with the large square speci net they do as it’s deeper than the 30” Latex spoon one.
He was, come home after seeing those dead ones though, FairPlay to him as it’s a two and a half hour drive, reckons he saw a couple of big doubles belly up, made him feel sick

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si » Wed Jul 21 2021 10:06

Kev Berry wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
Theres a couple of t***s on fb saying its in season and im fishing

Need banning
Agreed Kev, you know what they are like on that stretch though, money money😓

Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D » Wed Jul 21 2021 13:12

suffolk si wrote:
Steve D wrote:
suffolk si wrote:

He was, come home after seeing those dead ones though, FairPlay to him as it’s a two and a half hour drive, reckons he saw a couple of big doubles belly up, made him feel sick
It’s not good when you’re seeing that amount floating past. . The population is being thinned out and it’s not by otters and poachers either . I like to have a dabble myself but this time of year I’ll only go if it’s got extra water coming down .

GG89
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by GG89 » Thu Jul 22 2021 22:48

Can anyone tell me if there are any companies who sell replacement oval meshes I’ve got an ‘Insight’ landing net made by Leslie’s of Luton , who are sadly no more . I’d like to replace the mesh at some point .
Cheers

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Fri Jul 23 2021 08:47

GG89 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there are any companies who sell replacement oval meshes I’ve got an ‘Insight’ landing net made by Leslie’s of Luton , who are sadly no more . I’d like to replace the mesh at some point .
Cheers

A Mclean rubber mesh will fit any frame shape.
I use an XL size which is 3" less deep than the Sharpes (knotless) salmon mesh which is the deepest mesh Ive ever found.

I started with Aubry Lewis, Wilds and Luton Angling Centre so it is sad to learn about the demise of Leslie's.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus