Dark Mode

Leccy battery question?

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
fishder
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Leccy battery question?

Post by fishder »

I have a 45 thust minna kota I was wondering would a e-scooter battery work to power it, hoping to get a lighter battery for lugging in and out off the boat any info appreciated.
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Re: Leccy battery question?

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

One would need to know what mAh is was to be able to ascertain how long it would last.

There are already plenty of batteries out there that are lighter than the usual lead/acid, the downside is that they simply not cheap.

I suspect that e-scooter batteries would not be ok.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Possibly but there are too many unknowns. What voltage is it. Is it lead acid or lithium, whats the mah.

I doubt it would be worth it in end, a quick google shows a lot of the batteries are 36v, some are lithium so have a bms and additional electronics for charging etc. Could be a ball ache tbh
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you
fishder
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fishder »

I would have thought if they are strong enough to power an e- scooter that they would be ok for a leccy .
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Use one then.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

It'll power the motor, but how long for is the question. Probably not very.

https://www.allbatteries.co.uk/battery/ ... ttery.html
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

I'm not too clued up on scooters I'm going to hazard the motors are tiny and dont draw a lot compared to an electric outboard.

Only way to know is by knowing what batteries you have.

If you don't research it properly I predict a meltdown from too much amp draw or explosion from a lithium battery not being charged properly/not charging with its bms.
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Quick google suggests escooter batteries are about 38ah

A leasure battery is 120ah+

I think your idea is a non starter I'm afraid.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Tue Oct 12 2021 11:18 -
Use one then.
Bit of an a******e you 🖕🖕
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

A what?
fishder
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fishder »

I will give it a go anything would be better than lugging thoose leisure batterys in and out off the boat cant burn out the motor if they are weaker cheers for the replys.
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Biggthepool wrote: Tue Oct 12 2021 21:37 -
Use one then.
Not really.

Look at my response then see fishders. We are trying to tell him it wont work.

What will probably happen is

1. Fishder doesnt research the battery, wires it right up to outboard without over current protection, outboard draws more current than the battery can handle, it runs for 10 minutes, outboard slows down, the battery starts to overheat, possibly exploding/leaking, parts of the outboard start melting (speed switch, wiring at the motor end)

2. Nothing. outboard wont turn will still draw power, battery overheats, cables start melting.

End result a broken outboard and a broken escooter or ruined battery.

Now if its a lithium battery, best of luck to him.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

It'll work fine for the fishfinder! But I certainly wouldn't trust such a small battery to run an outboard. It'll draw so much current you risk melting the terminals and worse!

If you invested in a 120amph battery just how necessary is it to take out of the boat? Unless you have to take the boat out of the water why not use a small solar panel to keep it charged and then you can leave it in the boat!

Otherwise invest in a small trolley to lug it around. I've seen lots of canoeists use trolleys for batteries! Inflatable canoe etc. etc., all packed away in a jiff with the battery and outboard on a trolley just to get to the car ten yards away! :laughs:
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Pinkie wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 14:55 -
It'll work fine for the fishfinder! But I certainly wouldn't trust such a small battery to run an outboard. It'll draw so much current you risk melting the terminals and worse!

If you invested in a 120amph battery just how necessary is it to take out of the boat? Unless you have to take the boat out of the water why not use a small solar panel to keep it charged and then you can leave it in the boat!

Otherwise invest in a small trolley to lug it around. I've seen lots of canoeists use trolleys for batteries! Inflatable canoe etc. etc., all packed away in a jiff with the battery and outboard on a trolley just to get to the car ten yards away! :laughs:
:madmick: in my day I had to load up 10+ boats with two 120ah leasure batteries AND unload them.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Andrew Croft wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 09:40 -
Use one then.
Not really.

1. Fishder doesnt research the battery, wires it right up to outboard without over current protection, outboard draws more current than the battery can handle, it runs for 10 minutes, outboard slows down, the battery starts to overheat, possibly exploding/leaking, parts of the outboard start melting (speed switch, wiring at the motor end)

2. Nothing. outboard wont turn will still draw power, battery overheats, cables start melting.

Andrew someone that knows about batteries knows it won’t work me included the fellow obviously has a battery and is hoping it might for example why he has asked twice about it f
Working for him. My problem is Chico’s response mans and idiot instead saying again it won’t do or do the best thing and say nothing he has but in a silly childish comment as he usual does guys a knob
Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft »

Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Biggthepool wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 18:42 -
Use one then.
Not really.

Andrew someone that knows about batteries knows it won’t work me included the fellow obviously has a battery and is hoping it might for example why he has asked twice about it f
Working for him. My problem is Chico’s response mans and idiot instead saying again it won’t do or do the best thing and say nothing he has but in a silly childish comment as he usual does guys a knob
Like f**k! He did answer him. The original poster asked a question then didn’t like the answer so answered his own question with the response he wanted.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Slug wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 20:51 -
Use one then.
Not really.

Like f**k! He did answer him. The original poster asked a question then didn’t like the answer so answered his own question with the response he wanted.

Get you tongue out off his hole you bellend
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Biggthepool wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 21:29 -
Slug wrote: Wed Oct 13 2021 20:51 -
Use one then.
Not really.

Get you tongue out off his hole you bellend
Ah, diddums!
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

I often wonder if people read the posts prior to answering with their opinion. It seems they either do not or just read into answers what they want.'Nuff said.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Thu Oct 14 2021 10:27 -
I often wonder if people read the posts prior to answering with their opinion. It seems they either do not or just read into answers what they want.'Nuff said.
Nail on' t head there mate!

Just skim reading posts and then replying with yer knickers in a twist is disingenuous and frankly makes one look a fool. :laughs:
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

It simply matters not one iota though, we are all entitled to our opinions however formed.