Awesome new prize added to the Christmas Comp!!

Win a day trolling lures with Steve Le Maitre on either Windy or Lomond!!

Heavy jerkbait set up

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Joepiker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Heavy jerkbait set up

Post by Joepiker »

Been using a heavy one piece St Croix jerkbait rod with Ambassador multiplier for years.
Interested in getting a two piece heavy set up, so that I can have it in the boot of the car, and it’ll also take up less space when not being used in a boat.
What rod and reel set up would you folks recommend that would chuck heavy and be able to impart action.
Please only advise stuff you’ve been using for more than a season, and something I don’t have to go on a waiting list to buy.
Cheers
Mike J
Zander
Zander

Re: Heavy jerkbait set up

Post by Mike J »

Dont know about you but heavy to me is 150gm plus, for that I use a Westin XXXH, Calcutta 401D and 100lb braid. Been using it for +8 years.
If your interest I have an unused 401 Im willing to sell?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Joepiker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Joepiker »

Cheers Mike. I’m in Ireland on holiday and lots of shops here. My multipiplier packed up and I need the two piece anyway so it’s an excuse to spoil myself.
Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J »

Joepiker wrote: Tue Nov 23 2021 15:20 -
Cheers Mike. I’m in Ireland on holiday and lots of shops here. My multipiplier packed up and I need the two piece anyway so it’s an excuse to spoil myself.
My Westin IS two equal sections and Its strong enough to chuck 250grm lures across the Avon.
Surely someone in Eire sells Westin rods, the alternative is to buy a used uptider and speak to Mr Lumb when your back here.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Joepiker wrote: Tue Nov 23 2021 15:20 -
Where in Ireland are you Joe.Couple of good tackle shops in Enniskillen if yer up that way.
Joepiker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Joepiker »

Cheers folks as it happens I passed by a tackle shop on my travels, which, let’s be honest was TOO GOOD!!!
I ended up with an ABU GArcia two piece that feels the nuts and coupled it waits a more up to date ABU multiplier, oh, there might have been some lures, and I am now in denial about how much dosh I spent!!
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Joepiker wrote: Mon Nov 22 2021 21:29 -
Been using a heavy one piece St Croix jerkbait rod with Ambassador multiplier for years.
Interested in getting a two piece heavy set up, so that I can have it in the boot of the car, and it’ll also take up less space when not being used in a boat.
What rod and reel set up would you folks recommend that would chuck heavy and be able to impart action.
Please only advise stuff you’ve been using for more than a season, and something I don’t have to go on a waiting list to buy.
Cheers
Always a one piece for jerk baits, but I too got myself a take apart to tuck into the boot of the car; that's a Daiwa Prorex, rated 50-150g. Very good bit of kit for a 2 piece. Reel, Shimano Trax 401A, just freakin awesome, swapped out all my ABU's for those and 301's. Most places have them in stock now.
Piking Plonker