Retractable rods

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
JoeNickel
Perch
Perch

Retractable rods

Post by JoeNickel »

ESP's new retractable rods just popped up on my YouTube feed. Nothing special - same as Nash Scope / Dwarf, Sonik Xtractor, Diawa have one. I think Cotswold Rods make a custom version.

What do people think - is this a trend that will follow from carping, into in the rest of fishing? Will there be retractable barbel rods, Avons, pike rods in a couple of years?

Does it make a massive difference? I can see they'd be useful if you've got a small car, or travel on public transport, or keep your gear in a little cupboard etc...

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Re: Retractable rods

Post by John Milford »

The idea dates back at least 30 years and was first seen on American lure rods.

I have two easily that old- a Fenwick and a Bass Pro - both where a much longer tip section telescopes back into the handle for transporting.

I can't see the earthly point of it on two peice rod though? :shrug:

A somewhat passé idea, now being 'reinvented' as trendy carp b******s! :roll:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Thu Jan 13 2022 19:53 -
The idea dates back at least 30 years and was first seen on American lure rods.

I have two easily that old- a Fenwick and a Bass Pro - both where a much longer tip section telescopes back into the handle for transporting.

I can't see the earthly point of it on two peice rod though? :shrug:

A somewhat passé idea, now being 'reinvented' as trendy carp b******s! :roll:
Just something new to sell to the mugs. The handles look overlong for short rods to me.

A totally telescopic rod would make more sense.
stubbojo
Chub
Chub

Post by stubbojo »

bought a couple of Nash dwarfs only because they were cheap , cash converters 2 x 9ft 3lb test , thought they would be ideal for boat fishing
did have a few small jacks on the canal yesterday tried them out , not bad but a tad stiff 40 squid for the pair seemed ok for the price , they look unused
fit into a nice little korda quiver rod bag , matched them up to a pair of small fox baitrunners ..... :thumbs:
The Cardinal
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by The Cardinal »

Same as the above… I’ve got a pair of Nash dwarfs with 5010 bait runners as my boat rods. For the money they are decent enough and fold down same length as my lure rods which all fit with my Minn kota transducer pole in a large cradle unhooking mat. Just grab that and my seat box and we’re ready to set sail …
John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford »

I think it's worth saying that 'retractable' rods are perfectly serviceable. My two lure rods with that feature have been great.

They're essentially 7 foot rods that stash like they're 6 foot.

I just don't see what great advantage there is having a 9 ft rod that packs down to, say, 4 ft rather than 4 ft 6? (Unless you are a dwarf? :joker: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
JoeNickel
Perch
Perch

Post by JoeNickel »

John Milford wrote: Thu Jan 13 2022 23:45 -

I just don't see what great advantage there is having a 9 ft rod that packs down to, say, 4 ft rather than 4 ft 6?
It's marginally better than that. I think the 9 foot rods generally (across brands) pack to 44", so 3ft 8", rather than 4ft 6". Plus an inch for the spigot, I guess.

Bizarrely there seems to be no extra advantage with the 10ft rods - you still save c.10", as per the 9 footers. I presume this is cos of the position of the butt ring? Though there may be exceptions for different brands / models, dunno.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Funny enough I’ve just acquired a Sonik Xtractor 9ft 3lb tc.
Not specifically for the retractable properties although I must admit, made up but I half with butt & tip protectors on its well under 4ft. It would definitely suit anyone wanting to limit space used or help if you had to push through some foliage to get to your swims.
I’ll be trying it out tomorrow hopefully.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

i have a set of 10ft dwarfs, i use them sometimes, on small venues, or for long long walks to cut down wieght a bit- very light to handle rods.
i wouldnt want to whack a decent sized bait out on one, but for close in or small venues they work well enough.
benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli »

Been looking at them recently for swims in wooded areas etc, a lot of them have flimsy minima guides, the most robust look like the dwarf es and the new jrc rover. Might get one yet.
Last edited by benelli on Fri Jan 14 2022 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
pikin
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by pikin »

I have seen plenty broken. Not sure why but a few friends have various versions and they seem to be breaking just below the tip eye.

I just use shorter 2 piece boat rods on smaller venues, it works for me.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I used the Sonik today, seems a good enough rod. Bit tippy but managed to chuck a bait 40yrds or so without casting it off.
Be better suited to margin work which is what I’ll be using it for mostly.
Didn’t catch a fish on it mind :roll:
I noticed that with the guides, very flimsy looking !
Dunno how they’ll hold up over time ?
Quite handy being so compact tho.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

pikin wrote: Fri Jan 14 2022 21:44 -
I have seen plenty broken. Not sure why but a few friends have various versions and they seem to be breaking just below the tip eye.

the dawrfs?
if so #1 rule, only extend and out away with baitrunner on!
pikin
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by pikin »

Ratty46 wrote: Sat Jan 15 2022 14:45 -
pikin wrote: Fri Jan 14 2022 21:44 -

the dawrfs?
if so #1 rule, only extend and out away with baitrunner on!
Playing 20lb plus carp at the net. Seen 2 go myself. They just snap below top eye as the fish gave a last gasp lunge.
stubbojo
Chub
Chub

Post by stubbojo »

took my drawfs out today 9ft 3lb test fired out really big baits ,was surprised how far i could chuck a bait , cant complain yet .....but need a decent fish on to see how they cope

......might be while then