Polarizing glasses.

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Polarizing glasses.

Post by Bob Watson »

After my recent lens replacement surgery my prescription polaroids are now redundant so I need to buy "off the peg".

What would you all recommend?

Ta!
Jimbo
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Polarizing glasses.

Post by Jimbo »

I have some Oakley Split Shot, been very happy with these, had them a few years now and they are worn year round inc driving and they are as good as new - not the cheapest nor the most expensive
Here's a link, cant remember where i purchased from mind, just for illustration:
https://www.shadestation.co.uk/designer ... gJxvPD_BwE
Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J »

Costas, there is nothing better and Ive tried the lot.
Tips; the 580 glass doesn't scratch, the low light lens is better for winter use. Some designs are specific to angling and very hard use eg; Hamlin and Bloke. Width and bridge size are different.

If you go cheap don't buy Fortis, I had a pair that broke in weeks, the Company (importers of the Chinese junk) wouldn't replace them unless I paid 50% of the price and the postage.

If you want old school I still have a pair of Optix Cormorants around somewhere.

Ive also had replacement lens surgery. Does take you long to realise good sunnies were an essential does it?. :cool: :grin:

(Three different lenses of Costas).

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Never had an issue with my fiver out of Aldi ones.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Mike J wrote: Wed May 11 2022 10:11 -
Costas, there is nothing better and Ive tried the lot.
Tips; the 580 glass doesn't scratch, the low light lens is better for winter use. Some designs are specific to angling and very hard use eg; Hamlin and Bloke. Width and bridge size are different.

If you go cheap don't buy Fortis, I had a pair that broke in weeks, the Company (importers of the Chinese junk) wouldn't replace them unless I paid 50% of the price and the postage.

If you want old school I still have a pair of Optix Cormorants around somewhere.

Ive also had replacement lens surgery. Does take you long to realise good sunnies were an essential does it?. :cool: :grin:

(Three different lenses of Costas).

I've always used them Mike but got them prescription from my optician.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

davelumb wrote: Wed May 11 2022 11:07 -
Hmmm!

Before I needed specs, about 20 years ago, I bought a cheap set for a tenner by Leeda IIRC. They were fine until I needed the specs.

I reckon those might be worth a punt!

:thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Jimbo wrote: Wed May 11 2022 09:46 -
I have some Oakley Split Shot, been very happy with these, had them a few years now and they are worn year round inc driving and they are as good as new - not the cheapest nor the most expensive
Here's a link, cant remember where i purchased from mind, just for illustration:
https://www.shadestation.co.uk/designer ... gJxvPD_BwE
Ta! a bit over what I wanted to fork out though!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I'm considering taking my prescription Raybans :cool: back to my optician and getting new plain, polarizing lenses put in.
Richard.
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard. »

I’ve got 3 pairs of oakleys 1 pair of smiths and 1 pair of Maui Jim’s.
By a country mile as far as lens clarity goes the Mauis leave the rest of them behind. Oakley have some lovely frames but the polycarbonate prizm lenses don’t come close as far as distortion and clarity to the super thin glass offered from Maui Jim lenses.

I recently bought a pair of local kine wrap around frames with Maui Ht thin glass lenses and I can’t praise them enough for the optical clarity

Obviously it’s budget dependent as Oakley has nice options in the £90-100 mark yet smiths and Maui would probably be starting out at £160 I guess
I haven’t tried costa and I really don’t like rayban personally
Never really got on with cheap ones myself.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed May 11 2022 15:23 -
Hmmm!

Before I needed specs, about 20 years ago, I bought a cheap set for a tenner by Leeda IIRC. They were fine until I needed the specs.

I've had a pair of the overglasses for yonks. Look stupid but work great for fishing. https://eyelevel-uk.com/collections/eye ... verglasses
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

davelumb wrote: Wed May 11 2022 15:31 -
Hmmm!

I've had a pair of the overglasses for yonks. Look stupid but work great for fishing. https://eyelevel-uk.com/collections/eye ... verglasses
Just been browsing, they're cheap enough to buy a few pairs. One for fishing, a pair suitable to wear with my crash helmet, which can be pain in the a**e and a casual pair for out and about.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed May 11 2022 15:35 -
davelumb wrote: Wed May 11 2022 15:31 -
Hmmm!

Just been browsing, they're cheap enough to buy a few pairs. One for fishing, a pair suitable to wear with my crash helmet, which can be pain in the a**e and a casual pair for out and about.
:cool:

Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

:rock:
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

zodiac wrote: Wed May 11 2022 14:44 -
Never had an issue with my fiver out of Aldi ones.
I've got these, be interested to try a mega £ pair back to back. Not gutted when I inevitably sit on them though 😁😎
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Costa sunrise lense is all that's needed in Scotland as it's never sunny.
dimitri239
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by dimitri239 »

Oakley split shot with tungsten polarized lenses.
Best I've had for fishing in 20 years and the wrap round frame reduces the need for a hat or cap.
TidalD
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by TidalD »

I had a pair of Bolle they were really decent, nice for and decent price. I’ve just brought some Sinners and like those as well.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue May 10 2022 11:07 -
After my recent lens replacement surgery my prescription polaroids are now redundant so I need to buy "off the peg".

Ta!
Oakleys - for the price point, nothing can touch them and every single part is available as a spare - so if you scratch a lens (as I did recently), no problem getting a replacement. The polarised prizm (as opposed to the cheaper prizm) lens quality is awesome and you can see fish much easier/deeper, the frames are also super comfortable to wear all day long. I use Flak 2.0 XL - have several pairs with different lens types for different light levels. If you want pair for all round, get the p/prizm black lens. Around £150 if you look around. If you do any amount of lure fishing, high quality sunglasses are super important. If you're on a budget and can't stretch to the Oakleys, I tried a pair of Leech sunglasses recently - the styling wasn't quite my cup of tea, as I prefer more of a wrap around frame, but the lens quality was excellent and they offer a lot of options that are angling specific.
Piking Plonker
horseshoe3
Chub
Chub

Post by horseshoe3 »

Fox £20 but I'm s***e at lure fishing
have a nice day
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed May 11 2022 23:37 -

Ta!
Oakleys - for the price point, nothing can touch them and every single part is available as a spare - so if you scratch a lens (as I did recently), no problem getting a replacement. The polarised prizm (as opposed to the cheaper prizm) lens quality is awesome and you can see fish much easier/deeper, the frames are also super comfortable to wear all day long. I use Flak 2.0 XL - have several pairs with different lens types for different light levels. If you want pair for all round, get the p/prizm black lens. Around £150 if you look around. If you do any amount of lure fishing, high quality sunglasses are super important. If you're on a budget and can't stretch to the Oakleys, I tried a pair of Leech sunglasses recently - the styling wasn't quite my cup of tea, as I prefer more of a wrap around frame, but the lens quality was excellent and they offer a lot of options that are angling specific.
Thanks Mark.

Again above my planned budget and I don't do any lure fishing except at sea.

There's no panic because I'm still using script polars as my right eye is still "script" reliant.

I'll probably end up getting a high end pair.
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Do these expensive glasses break when you sit on them?

I will stick to my cheap Fortis over glasses pair.

They work for me. :grin:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J »

phil.c wrote: Fri May 13 2022 16:53 -

Never broke a pair of Costas. That said all my frames are the stronger design.
Breaking the Costa 580 glass lenses is something Ive never heard or read about happening.
Sat in a pair of glass Nikon photo-chromatic polarised sunnies and they didn't break.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Muskie
Perch
Perch

Post by Muskie »

Maui Jim are a premium brand but pricey. High quality lenses and frames. These have been my choice for last 20 years.

Friends have used Costa's which they liked but most retailers in UK are not stocking them anymore. So there must be a problem. Some friends said the build quality of the frames were poor but the lenses were good so good luck on the warranty front if you buy them.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Why would you sit on them :scratch: I've had various Oakleys for over 30 years, never broken a pair, ever. The plastic lenses and frames are really robust and they're hardly expensive. Most are £80 to £160 depending on the model, that's pretty cheap for what you're getting.
Piking Plonker
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat May 14 2022 14:49 -

Why would you sit on them :scratch: I've had various Oakleys for over 30 years, never broken a pair, ever. The plastic lenses and frames are really robust and they're hardly expensive. Most are £80 to £160 depending on the model, that's pretty cheap for what you're getting.
You are very easily confused Mark if you can't see how someone can sit on their glasses.

People have sat on baiting needles before. :laughs:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
horseshoe3
Chub
Chub

Post by horseshoe3 »

I've sat in glasses & baiting needles

Fook the last 1 hurt :laughs:

Tim
have a nice day
Richard.
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard. »

horseshoe3 wrote: Sun May 15 2022 11:22 -
I've sat in glasses & baiting needles

Fook the last 1 hurt :laughs:

Tim
I did that once…. Full length of a sharp needle through my leg. :eek:
Binned the bloody lot and bought the Avid retractables after that.
Richard.
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard. »

phil.c wrote: Sat May 14 2022 16:45 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Sat May 14 2022 14:49 -

You are very easily confused Mark if you can't see how someone can sit on their glasses.

People have sat on baiting needles before. :laughs:
I agree entirely…… it’s very easily done with a momentary lapse in concentration. Of all the glasses I’ve owned the only pair I know of that could easily cope with being sat on was a pair of x metal Juliet’s.from Oakley. Practically Indestructible titanium frames. I sold em far too cheap a number of years ago as they fetch a good few quid nowadays.
piker al
Chub
Chub

Post by piker al »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed May 11 2022 23:37 -

Ta!
Brilliant advice there mark, I’m after a new set of Polaroid glasses never new leech done them, I’ve seen Leech on a few lure guys utube films and thought they where a make of lure :grin: :thumbs: