Fixed spool reel for saltwater luring

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
Joepiker
Roach
Roach

Fixed spool reel for saltwater luring

Post by Joepiker »

Hi folks. Anyone got a reel they have used for luring in salt water for a few seasons without issue? Think I’ve wrecked my old stradic.
I’d be using it on a 6 ft light-pike 15-30g luring rod that I tend to take on holiday to Ireland for touch ledge ring for trout on rivers, and then do some luring off of piers and rocks for pollock, wrasse and hopefully bass. As a result, I’d not want anything too heavy or large.
Thanks in advance.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
fossil-fish
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Fixed spool reel for saltwater luring

Post by fossil-fish »

Any decent fixed spool will do but nothing will last forever when exposed to salt water. Always rinse it down thoroughly in fresh water after use in the sea and leave to dry. Check the specifications to see if the reels are sealed as this helps a bit. Stradics should be good but the cheaper Nasci is also sealed. Another that I have is the Daiwa Fuego.
Michael Bruton
Joepiker
Roach
Roach

Post by Joepiker »

Cheers. I was wondering about one of the smaller Penns that they reckon is double sealed?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

I've been using a Shimano Sustain for the past few years for pollack and wrasse. Still going well. As fossil-fish said always rinse it down after use.
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Post by Malc Green »

Forget baitrunner style reels for salt water too many things to go wrong through salt ingress.
Penn Fierce or Spinfisher front reel drag and made for salt.
I've got Penn Spins for my uptide/downtide fishing which are over 10yrs old all they've had is an occasional service and a wash down in fresh water still going strong.
A squirt of WD on the handle and bail arm keeps it all running smooth.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J »

Malc is right, forget anything that doesn't have a front drag.

How long it lasts depends a lot on how you prep it for sea use, prep. involves spray all joints and screw heads with furniture polish, let it dry then wipe off the excess. Aim for all the screw slots and joints to be filled with dried wax.
Next how you clean it, but before cleaning FIRST tighten the drag (this is to stop water damaging the drag plates) do not use plain water, you need a carrier to take the salt away, hand soap or shampoo is ideal. If you can take the rod and reel into the shower with you do so. Dry with paper towels and then near a source of dry heat, slacken the drag once it is dry.
The Shakey President I used for yonks was always cleaned this way and I still have it (for the doubters you can see a pic) and it still works although a little loose.

If the reel is for long term use you can do no better than an old Penn Spinfisher, not the latest Chinese made, but the ally bodies reels that were made exclusively in the USA. These reels have a drag that will stop a tank, are rock solid in design, metal spools and will last your lifetime. (I have two btw) Another 100%er is the older Daiwa Emblems.

My light lure bass reel is a 3500 Daiwa Seagate its the 4000 Caldia with a different name.

Last edited by Mike J on Sat Jul 30 2022 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Post by Malc Green »

As Mike says thoroughly clean reel after use.I clean the reel with clean water with a dash of fairy liquid and use a tooth brush to get in the nooks and crannies of the reel.
Finish off with clean water, dry and then a squirt of WD on the moving parts will keep the reel corrosion free.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
Joepiker
Roach
Roach

Post by Joepiker »

Cheers folks. Lots of helpful info and I really appreciate it.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I personally wouldn't use wd40 on a reel, it disperses water fine but it also breaks down oil and grease.

I clean my sea reels in a mild detergent and oil/grease as necessary.
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Post by Malc Green »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 13:53 -
I personally wouldn't use wd40 on a reel, it disperses water fine but it also breaks down oil and grease.

Grease and oil on the outside of a reel only attracts grit and dirt which hardens on the bail arm and reel handle area which you don't want.A squirt of WD then a wipe keeps mine clean and working.
Agreed not to use on the inside, as a lubricant, but i use it as a degreaser for the inners,wipe clean then use reel grease and oil upon assembly.
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
Joepiker
Roach
Roach

Post by Joepiker »

Taken notes from all of the above cheers
martin(rockape)
Chub
Chub

Post by martin(rockape) »

Slighttly off topic but Ref WD40 I've since learnt to keep it well away from my reels in my case Centrepins. I once applied some to the spindle of my Addcock Stanton, went to re lube it prior to use a few months later and the spool was stuck solid. Being a Centrepin with bearings it still spun but was actually stuck to the spindle
I gingerly tapped it out and gave it a thorough clean and now only use sewing machine oil.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
dimitri239
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by dimitri239 »

Daiwa BG or penn slammer, great reels that I've used in the Keys for all sizes and species of fish.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Malc Green wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 14:12 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 13:53 -

Grease and oil on the outside of a reel only attracts grit and dirt which hardens on the bail arm and reel handle area which you don't want.A squirt of WD then a wipe keeps mine clean and working.
Agreed not to use on the inside, as a lubricant, but i use it as a degreaser for the inners,wipe clean then use reel grease and oil upon assembly.
I use lighter fluid to clean and degrease before re-lubing my reels.

Mild detergent like I said takes care of any excess muck, be it grease or what's picked up whilst fishing.

Not saying your way is wrong, just how I do it!

Cats and skinning :thumbs:
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel

Post by stubbojo »

picked up a okuma trio red core -80 .....lovely smooth reel and a good caster , cant fault it ..... had bass and pollock on it and a few big wrasse
think you can get it in a bigger size , but this is perfect to me ......
BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 19:17 -
picked up a okuma trio red core -80 .....lovely smooth reel and a good caster , cant fault it ..... had bass and pollock on it and a few big wrasse
A lot of Okumas from mid range upwards also have gasketed side plates and seals on the drag, which are probably a help against salt.
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel

Post by stubbojo »

BillCollins wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 20:27 -
stubbojo wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 19:17 -
A lot of Okumas from mid range upwards also have gasketed side plates and seals on the drag, which are probably a help against salt.
just clean mine off with warm water and a old toothbrush to get in the nooks and crannies.......gets rid of most of the salt after a session ... :thumbs:
Steve Dennington
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Dennington »

Malc Green wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 09:20 -
Forget baitrunner style reels for salt water too many things to go wrong through salt ingress.
Apart from the old Tritons. I've used my 4500s for saltwater fishing for years and seldom even rinse them afterwards. The locking collars on the handles have corroded a bit, but that's it :thumbs:
stubbojo
Barbel
Barbel

Post by stubbojo »

martin(rockape) wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 17:25 -
Slighttly off topic but Ref WD40 I've since learnt to keep it well away from my reels in my case Centrepins. I once applied some to the spindle of my Addcock Stanton, went to re lube it prior to use a few months later and the spool was stuck solid. Being a Centrepin with bearings it still spun but was actually stuck to the spindle
I gingerly tapped it out and gave it a thorough clean and now only use sewing machine oil.

Regards

Martin
also dont use on air rifles or shotguns , it sets like varnish overtime was told this by a gunsmith , so probably wont be to good on reels
light machine oil is the best .....
martin(rockape)
Chub
Chub

Post by martin(rockape) »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Jul 31 2022 09:11 -
martin(rockape) wrote: Sat Jul 30 2022 17:25 -

Regards

Martin
also dont use on air rifles or shotguns , it sets like varnish overtime was told this by a gunsmith , so probably wont be to good on reels
light machine oil is the best .....
I don't shoot at all now ( air rifles) but i used to use Ballistol, its a German made oil, it can be used on metal, wood and leather to no ill effect as it was designed for this reason. It has a very strong smell which dissipate's after 15 to 20 mins......my wife hated it so it was an outdoor job.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Old Mate
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Old Mate »

I would recommend a reel with a plastic spool for long term saltwater use. It is very difficult to clean the area behind the spool lip beneath the line. Once corrosion starts in that area aluminium spools are stuffed as they damage the line. As Mike says, use car or furniture wax to protect the reel, especially the spool, before loading the line to inhibit corrosion. Any tiny chips in surface finish from minor knocks will accelerate the process.
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

If you're at the lower end of the budget, I have a Penn Fierce II i have used for two years now. I have probably fished on average 3 days a week in salt water with it. Apart from rinsing it thoroughly with water after every session I have not done much, apart from an "MOT & Full Service" (degrease with wd40, re-grease and oil accordingly) in winter. It seems to have coped well with all the scratches from the rock hopping too, as well as
the odd drop on sand and in sea water, still feels solid. I have been so impressed, I am thinking of buying a Fierce III for my spare rod :thumbs:
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Regardless of what reel you buy for use in salt water rinse rinse and rinse again after use in salt water.....even some of the so called sealed/waterproof reels out there will rust without rinsing.
Some absolute fantastic oils and marine greases out there just now with anti rust exhibitors.
Anti reverse bearings are always first to go :mad:
20201001_164200_exported_39933.jpg
20200522_165011~2.jpg
20200522_164610~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard. »

WD 40 makes an excellent reel degreaser/cleaner because unlike a lot of self evaporating degreasers it doesn’t eat away at plastic and rubber parts. I use it for cleaning out old grease and dirt on a relube service.
Daiwas magsealing is pretty good as a barrier for keeping water out of the reels head which is probably the most accessible point but unfortunately it doesn’t lend itself well for regular strip downs unless you have both the expensive oil and a good understanding of how to apply it.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Just back from using penn slammers for sharks which they handled no problem, the smaller sizes would be an ideal reel for saltwater lure fishing
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook