Float fishing a suspended dead bait

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Black Orchid
Private
Private

Float fishing a suspended dead bait

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Oct 09 2018 18:58

Hi guys. What's your thoughts on a float fished deadbait suspended mid water column with a single treble hooked in the dorsal area so that the bait sits horizontally... would this be ok to do ?

Thanks

delboy
Major
Major

Re: Float fishing a suspended dead bait

Post by delboy » Tue Oct 09 2018 19:12

Funny ,I did just that today on a sunk float patanoster,only I was using a single and the whole herring was on a hair and it was fished so it looked normal in the water,didn't look to good and was not sure if it would take the cast,but it did and I had one on it,happy days,whats more I had two mores casts out of the same bait,how good is that
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.

Black Orchid
Private
Private

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Oct 09 2018 19:22

Sounds good. It will be my tactic tomorrow. I'm hoping for a slight wind so it drifts my bait about to cover some more water . I'm fishing a venue that I have never fished before so fingers crossed it works... I will share any success on here

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Tue Oct 09 2018 20:57

Good luck boy

Steve Burke
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve Burke » Tue Oct 09 2018 23:21

There's no need to have the bait horizontal. You'll find the pike couldn't care less. Neither will they mind if it's a half bait rather than a whole one.

Indeed, I almost always have at l least 1 rod if not 2 set up like this, although more often on a sunken float paternoster.

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Wed Oct 10 2018 09:06

After I watched shoals of fish hang head down in midwater as the drifted with the current I mounted my baits the same way.
That was jn the '70's and I never use anything else, wont say what Ive caught using it but many have watched and used it with equal success.

Lots of info in past posts about this subject.

:thumbs:

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Wed Oct 10 2018 14:17

Tell you what happened,bait fished hair though the tail so it hung vertical,5 hours,nothing,put the hair though baits body so it sat horizontal in the water and half hour later had a jack on it,Agree that most of the time it don't make a blind bit of difference ,but it pays to experiment surely :thumbs:

Duncan Holmes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Wed Oct 10 2018 18:06

What Steve and Mike said :thumbs:

I ponced around for years trying to get the bait to sit how I thought it was natural.

Then I started diving in gravel pits and realised I was very mistaken with what is natural and what isn't.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

Chinned out
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Chinned out » Thu Oct 11 2018 01:23

I'm with delboy whereby if I'm suspending then I will have at least 2 options on the rods. If one outdoes the other then naturally I'm going to swap....

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Thu Oct 11 2018 12:47

I've seen shoals of roach hanging head slightly down(maybe 45 degrees),Looked like they were sleeping,Imo the pike do mind how a bait is fished,just not all of the time,sometimes they will have anything and everything and other times they will take a mackeral instead of a herring or a smelt or vice versa,sometimes half baits are better than whole baits or coarse baits are better than sea baits,sometimes they want it hard on the bottom,sometimes popped up a bit,so its not hard to imagine that sometimes they might,just might prefer a bait horizontal instead of vertical,

Mercman
Major
Major

Post by Mercman » Thu Oct 11 2018 13:08

delboy wrote:
I've seen shoals of roach hanging head slightly down(maybe 45 degrees),Looked like they were sleeping,Imo the pike do mind how a bait is fished,just not all of the time,sometimes they will have anything and everything and other times they will take a mackeral instead of a herring or a smelt or vice versa,sometimes half baits are better than whole baits or coarse baits are better than sea baits,sometimes they want it hard on the bottom,sometimes popped up a bit,so its not hard to imagine that sometimes they might,just might prefer a bait horizontal instead of vertical,
I agree with you there son... :thumbs:
Last edited by Mercman on Fri Oct 12 2018 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 75 year old mentor
I am now.....Delboy's Mentor... :grin:

dave-newman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dave-newman » Fri Oct 12 2018 12:06

produced me a 30 last season and this method is always in my armory where ever i go......