Startup Gear?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
davidslfc
Stickleback
Stickleback

Startup Gear?

Post by davidslfc »

Hi Guys,

Newly joined to the forum, looking to start getting into Pike/predator fishing on my local canals/rivers and have no idea what lures/rigs/weights/rod type etc.. would be best.

I'm assuming the only fish i will catch are perch/pike in the canal. I will only be lure fishing, What about the below setup?

1. Rod - Shimano Alivio DX Spinning Rod is fairly cheap and has decent reviews. However, is there any real difference between 7ft, 8ft, 9ft? I will only be casting 40ft max? , Regarding weight size, 10-30g? would this be the best bet for perch and Pike? I assume a 2g-10g would be a bit soft if targeting pike?

2. Lures/Rig - Corkscrew Jig Heads weights, 10g-20g, soft bait shads. 9cm? Is there a general go to lure sizing for pike and different sizing for perch? Whats an easier setup for a beginner, soft plastics, plugs?

I've watched a few video's on rigs and most seem to have some kind of wire trace or heavy mono for the last 30cm, is this if you're targeting large pike only?

I already have the other kit sorted, reel, line, forceps, net/mat etc.

Appreciate any advice, have no clue what to buy :)

Dave
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Re: Startup Gear?

Post by Ben »

Welcome to the forum, looks like you’re a fellow Liverpool fan too 👍🏼

You always need to use a wire trace when fishing for Pike

Someone more qualified than me will be along shortly to comment on the rods your described
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard. :handshake:

In fishing, especially with long established waters like canals its best not to assume anything.
Anywhere there is easy access beware of loosing gear on submerged debris, old bikes and shopping trolleys.
Equip yourself for fish to 25lb, always use a wire trace - Chico's are superb and last forever, and be prepared to do some walking.

Lots of info on fishing canals on here, you just need to look.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Welcome aboard brother!

Where abouts are you situated (don't name the Canal - it's frowned upon to name venues)?

Have you considered joining the local Pike Anglers Club (PAC) region?

(One of us may be local and be able offer some pointers face)
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

You cant really use a pike rod for perch and vice versa---one is over gunned and the other undergunned
if you going to use little jigs etc for the perch of course you will occasionally hook a pike
Find out what the average size of pike in the canal are and use appropriate gear to land them, if they tend to be just small jacks then go for a lighter rod
the Alivios aren't bad rods, the 10-30g rod will probably suit your purpose but if you only catching small perch wont be much fun
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Throughout my early years l only used an Avon rod for spoons, plugs and spun sprat.
Okay it didnt give a 6" Perch much chance but anything above was good sport and when. 20+ pike came along it had the backbone to get them to the net (actually it was a gaff in those days).

IMG_0031.JPG
Big canal pike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Spicystealth
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Spicystealth »

Have a look on YouTube for river piker he has a few videos re selecting Rods and reels which may give you some info
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

The river piker video Spicystealth mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hH7BQuIFqw&t=1352s

I'm new too, so was decent watch.
Richsheff
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richsheff »

davidslfc wrote: Mon Apr 22 2019 15:35 -
Hi Guys,

Newly joined to the forum, looking to start getting into Pike/predator fishing on my local canals/rivers and have no idea what lures/rigs/weights/rod type etc.. would be best.

I'm assuming the only fish i will catch are perch/pike in the canal. I will only be lure fishing, What about the below setup?

1. Rod - Shimano Alivio DX Spinning Rod is fairly cheap and has decent reviews. However, is there any real difference between 7ft, 8ft, 9ft? I will only be casting 40ft max? , Regarding weight size, 10-30g? would this be the best bet for perch and Pike? I assume a 2g-10g would be a bit soft if targeting pike?

2. Lures/Rig - Corkscrew Jig Heads weights, 10g-20g, soft bait shads. 9cm? Is there a general go to lure sizing for pike and different sizing for perch? Whats an easier setup for a beginner, soft plastics, plugs?

I've watched a few video's on rigs and most seem to have some kind of wire trace or heavy mono for the last 30cm, is this if you're targeting large pike only?

I already have the other kit sorted, reel, line, forceps, net/mat etc.

Appreciate any advice, have no clue what to buy :)

Dave
Did you get yourself kitted out ?