Keeping Live bait

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Trevor928
Stickleback
Stickleback

Keeping Live bait

Post by Trevor928 » Sat Sep 07 2019 15:49

I know this is an emotive subject but I am thinking of doing some live bait fishing this year where allowed. This may involve 2-3 days away, catching them at the start (hopefully 😀) and then keeping them for the duration. Lots of buckets and aerators available of course but what do I really need for keeping them for a few days at home and traveling? This is not going to be large scale.

Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Re: Keeping Live bait

Post by Dennis M » Sun Sep 08 2019 10:41

perforated bucket on a string in the water worked for my longer livebait sessions :thumbs:

Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... » Sun Sep 08 2019 19:34

Recently brought one of these and it’s been brilliant on the two occasions I’ve used it so far; rechargeable battery with solar panel built in that keeps it going nicely. I keep it on the windowsill so it’s charging all week between sessions. Highly recommend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F1NSNZN/ ... DDbA4VM6A1
Actually know as Danny..

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips » Sun Sep 15 2019 12:48

Not an emotive subject on a pike fishing forum - I would hope ... best solution I have found are round plastic 100 gallon loft tanks - black in colour. Place them out of the sun and run an air line in from a decent air pump; then plastic pond netting over the top. Job done. I'd only keep the prisoners in the colder months though. Usually fill my tank late October (to allow the water to condition itself), then stock up at the end of November - roach and small chub are my preferred baits, but small carp are always nice, if can get them small enough... having lives mid winter is essential on many fen waters I fish, even more so when targeting zander. Always surprises me that so many pike anglers still don't use them (where they can of course) and yet wonder why the don't catch much on some waters...

Here go: https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/water-ta ... tanks.html

Hope that all helps, tight lines, Mark P.

Trevor928
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Trevor928 » Sun Sep 15 2019 13:09

Mark Phillips wrote:
Not an emotive subject on a pike fishing forum - I would hope ... best solution I have found are round plastic 100 gallon loft tanks - black in colour. Place them out of the sun and run an air line in from a decent air pump; then plastic pond netting over the top. Job done. I'd only keep the prisoners in the colder months though. Usually fill my tank late October (to allow the water to condition itself), then stock up at the end of November - roach and small chub are my preferred baits, but small carp are always nice, if can get them small enough... having lives mid winter is essential on many fen waters I fish, even more so when targeting zander. Always surprises me that so many pike anglers still don't use them (where they can of course) and yet wonder why the don't catch much on some waters...

Here go: https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/water-ta ... tanks.html

Hope that all helps, tight lines, Mark P.
Thanks Mark will wait for temp to drop :thumbs:

Trevor928
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Trevor928 » Sun Sep 15 2019 13:09

Fish on.... wrote:
Recently brought one of these and it’s been brilliant on the two occasions I’ve used it so far; rechargeable battery with solar panel built in that keeps it going nicely. I keep it on the windowsill so it’s charging all week between sessions. Highly recommend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F1NSNZN/ ... DDbA4VM6A1
Now that's handy :thumbs:

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Mon Sep 16 2019 10:09

Plus 1 for a loft tank, the bigger the better.
If you want shiney pets use a tank design that comes with a solid top or make your own.
Round is better for swimming and good health.
Have two pumps, use one, the other as reserve or when hard frosts are forecast.

kell
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by kell » Mon Sep 16 2019 10:33

large black plastic dustbins with clip on lids cheap as chips