Trace wire

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Post Reply
Smithy75
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 27 2020 11:21

Trace wire

Post by Smithy75 » Sat Feb 06 2021 11:44

Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7737
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Trace wire

Post by John Milford » Sat Feb 06 2021 12:09

Smithy75 wrote:
Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
The AFW (American Fishing Wire) ET sells is good stuff Smithy and his prices are pretty good too. Worth buying the correct size AFW crimps at the same time as they are excellent too. :thumbs:

(PS: By replying, it doesn't mean I regard myself as a pro piker! :laughs: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
fossil-fish
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Mar 10 2017 17:25
Location: County Antrim

Re: Trace wire

Post by fossil-fish » Sat Feb 06 2021 13:18

Not a Pro Piker either but agree about the AFW. Another way to help with kinking is to simply use a heavier gauge/breaking strain wire. Don't believe the pike mind at all.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1845
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012 06:00

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mattjb » Sat Feb 06 2021 15:47

40lb 49 strand AFW uncoated wire.Its not cheap but lasts a good few fish before it needs changing, strong and reliable.

User avatar
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1581
Joined: Fri Sep 02 2011 05:00
Location: Manchester

Re: Trace wire

Post by MarkBerrisford » Sat Feb 06 2021 17:46

If you don’t want to change traces look into titanium traces Gadda baits make them if you don’t want to make your own. Personally I prefer the afw 7 strand it’s cheap and just change them when they kink. Have tried the 49strand and it doesn’t last any longer than the 7 strand I’ve found
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

Cod
Perch
Perch
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jan 26 2012 06:00
Location: Broadland

Re: Trace wire

Post by Cod » Sat Feb 06 2021 18:03

If you looking to upgrade your bait fishing traces, I would recommend 7 strand titanium.

( not a pro piker either face )
Learning is a gift.

Pinkie
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Dec 13 2020 18:01

Re: Trace wire

Post by Pinkie » Sun Feb 07 2021 22:35

I use Rio Wire Bite 30 lb tippet and haven't had it kink even thought I use it for fly fishing. You can also knot it quite easily.

stubbojo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Feb 04 2021 19:59

Re: Trace wire

Post by stubbojo » Sun Feb 07 2021 22:42

Smithy75 wrote:
Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
hi pal
have tried loads of trace materials over the years ...currently using e.sox super trace in the heavier .41mm 34lb stainless steel super 7 and also 40lb too
pleased with it , and lasts for a few good fish , tried titanium but suffered by a few slipping on the crimps , dont think the crimps bed in to well on it ...

Lukemilnes
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Aug 16 2020 07:40
Location: Southport

Re: Trace wire

Post by Lukemilnes » Sun Feb 07 2021 23:03

Single strand afw 3 times through the crimp is bloody strong. If it slips the exta loop will hold it. I only use it for lure fishing tho (stingers, traces) it is at the more expensive end tho

Smithy75
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 27 2020 11:21

Re: Trace wire

Post by Smithy75 » Mon Feb 08 2021 10:18

Thank s gents for the reply s cheers

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mike J » Mon Feb 08 2021 10:39

Masons 45lb 7strand for me.
Not Chinese but made in the USA, easily available from Veals and a 200m bulk spool doesn't cost a fortune.
No crimps needed, it twists up really tight and can be straightened in the fingers if its not kinked, 7 fish is my highest on one leader.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/mason- ... e-136.html

.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

User avatar
Steve C
Perch
Perch
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Dec 27 2011 06:00

Re: Trace wire

Post by Steve C » Mon Feb 08 2021 10:48

stubbojo wrote:
Smithy75 wrote:
Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
hi pal
have tried loads of trace materials over the years ...currently using e.sox super trace in the heavier .41mm 34lb stainless steel super 7 and also 40lb too
pleased with it , and lasts for a few good fish , tried titanium but suffered by a few slipping on the crimps , dont think the crimps bed in to well on it ...
Titanium wire stretches slightly when under tension and its diameter reduces fractionally as a consequence. This can result in a 'loosening' effect on the crimps and failure then occurs. Once the tension is removed it returns to normal.

ADAM-F
Roach
Roach
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Dec 09 2015 15:17

Re: Trace wire

Post by ADAM-F » Mon Feb 08 2021 21:18

Deadbaits I use et 49 strand. Very flexible, U can knotless knot the top treble and crimp the bottom and the swivel.

Livebaits I use Titanium 30lb that the tackle shop sell. Much stiffer. Crimp on split rings and change trebles when needed as the wire lasts a long time.

Uptraces = Titanium 60lb.

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser
Posts: 3184
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00

Re: Trace wire

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Tue Feb 09 2021 00:43

Steve C wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
Smithy75 wrote:
Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
hi pal
have tried loads of trace materials over the years ...currently using e.sox super trace in the heavier .41mm 34lb stainless steel super 7 and also 40lb too
pleased with it , and lasts for a few good fish , tried titanium but suffered by a few slipping on the crimps , dont think the crimps bed in to well on it ...
Titanium wire stretches slightly when under tension and its diameter reduces fractionally as a consequence. This can result in a 'loosening' effect on the crimps and failure then occurs. Once the tension is removed it returns to normal.

After bench testing ti wire of various makes and breaking strains I would say I doubt you can impart enough pressure on 40lb ti wire to reach the stretch point with a compressed pike rod.

it isn't like elastic where it stretches in proportion to the force imparted on it. Ti wire has a point where it just weirdly goes ping and becomes longer retracting back as the force reduces with a similar pop back to the same initial length. All a bit odd but with normal pike fishing equipment you can not reach that force when compressing a standard rod.

I have used ti wire for probably 10 years in various forms and never had a crimp fail be it sea or pike fishing.
For me after testing... use double barrel 9mm long crimps, leave the ends flared, never use covers, use a cup to cup crimper and check them often just in case.

in the early days I found a couple of multistrand lure traces where strands broke on the loop made at the crimp but I had made the loop too tight.... rectifying this to bigger loops has not seen same occur. I used the same 3 bait traces for two winters and they where still passing the gate post pull test when retired. yes I was catching fish :o)

I would suggest any crimp failure is not the fault of the wire but more the crimping method or using the wrong crimps. Double barrel is the way to go IMO.
Love the hit!

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser
Posts: 3184
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00

Re: Trace wire

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe » Tue Feb 09 2021 00:57

ADAM-F wrote:
Deadbaits I use et 49 strand. Very flexible, U can knotless knot the top treble and crimp the bottom and the swivel.

Livebaits I use Titanium 30lb that the tackle shop sell. Much stiffer. Crimp on split rings and change trebles when needed as the wire lasts a long time.

Uptraces = Titanium 60lb.
49 strand - You can also knot the bottom hook with a figure 8 loop knot or the same knotless knot.
Fig 8 works for me on both ends.
Love the hit!

User avatar
Steve C
Perch
Perch
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Dec 27 2011 06:00

Re: Trace wire

Post by Steve C » Tue Feb 09 2021 09:29

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Steve C wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
Smithy75 wrote:
Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
hi pal
have tried loads of trace materials over the years ...currently using e.sox super trace in the heavier .41mm 34lb stainless steel super 7 and also 40lb too
pleased with it , and lasts for a few good fish , tried titanium but suffered by a few slipping on the crimps , dont think the crimps bed in to well on it ...
Titanium wire stretches slightly when under tension and its diameter reduces fractionally as a consequence. This can result in a 'loosening' effect on the crimps and failure then occurs. Once the tension is removed it returns to normal.

After bench testing ti wire of various makes and breaking strains I would say I doubt you can impart enough pressure on 40lb ti wire to reach the stretch point with a compressed pike rod.

it isn't like elastic where it stretches in proportion to the force imparted on it. Ti wire has a point where it just weirdly goes ping and becomes longer retracting back as the force reduces with a similar pop back to the same initial length. All a bit odd but with normal pike fishing equipment you can not reach that force when compressing a standard rod.

I have used ti wire for probably 10 years in various forms and never had a crimp fail be it sea or pike fishing.
For me after testing... use double barrel 9mm long crimps, leave the ends flared, never use covers, use a cup to cup crimper and check them often just in case.

in the early days I found a couple of multistrand lure traces where strands broke on the loop made at the crimp but I had made the loop too tight.... rectifying this to bigger loops has not seen same occur. I used the same 3 bait traces for two winters and they where still passing the gate post pull test when retired. yes I was catching fish :o)

I would suggest any crimp failure is not the fault of the wire but more the crimping method or using the wrong crimps. Double barrel is the way to go IMO.
:thumbs:

User avatar
Steve C
Perch
Perch
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Dec 27 2011 06:00

Re: Trace wire

Post by Steve C » Tue Feb 09 2021 09:29

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote:
Steve C wrote:
stubbojo wrote:
Smithy75 wrote:
Good morning gents can you pro pikes recommend a good trace material that does not kink every five minutes thank you and regards
hi pal
have tried loads of trace materials over the years ...currently using e.sox super trace in the heavier .41mm 34lb stainless steel super 7 and also 40lb too
pleased with it , and lasts for a few good fish , tried titanium but suffered by a few slipping on the crimps , dont think the crimps bed in to well on it ...
Titanium wire stretches slightly when under tension and its diameter reduces fractionally as a consequence. This can result in a 'loosening' effect on the crimps and failure then occurs. Once the tension is removed it returns to normal.

After bench testing ti wire of various makes and breaking strains I would say I doubt you can impart enough pressure on 40lb ti wire to reach the stretch point with a compressed pike rod.

it isn't like elastic where it stretches in proportion to the force imparted on it. Ti wire has a point where it just weirdly goes ping and becomes longer retracting back as the force reduces with a similar pop back to the same initial length. All a bit odd but with normal pike fishing equipment you can not reach that force when compressing a standard rod.

I have used ti wire for probably 10 years in various forms and never had a crimp fail be it sea or pike fishing.
For me after testing... use double barrel 9mm long crimps, leave the ends flared, never use covers, use a cup to cup crimper and check them often just in case.

in the early days I found a couple of multistrand lure traces where strands broke on the loop made at the crimp but I had made the loop too tight.... rectifying this to bigger loops has not seen same occur. I used the same 3 bait traces for two winters and they where still passing the gate post pull test when retired. yes I was catching fish :o)

I would suggest any crimp failure is not the fault of the wire but more the crimping method or using the wrong crimps. Double barrel is the way to go IMO.
:thumbs:

Richard.
Roach
Roach
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Dec 14 2020 18:03

Re: Trace wire

Post by Richard. » Thu Feb 25 2021 09:41

Mike J wrote:
Masons 45lb 7strand for me.
Not Chinese but made in the USA, easily available from Veals and a 200m bulk spool doesn't cost a fortune.
No crimps needed, it twists up really tight and can be straightened in the fingers if its not kinked, 7 fish is my highest on one leader.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/mason- ... e-136.html

.
Been looking for a decent 40lb 7 strand for ages. 28quid for 600’ is a bargain. I’m used to paying 3 x amount in poxy 20m spools. I’ve taken a punt and ordered a spool. Cheers for the link Mike 👍🏻

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mike J » Thu Feb 25 2021 09:56

Richard. wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Masons 45lb 7strand for me.
Not Chinese but made in the USA, easily available from Veals and a 200m bulk spool doesn't cost a fortune.
No crimps needed, it twists up really tight and can be straightened in the fingers if its not kinked, 7 fish is my highest on one leader.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/mason- ... e-136.html

.
Been looking for a decent 40lb 7 strand for ages. 28quid for 600’ is a bargain. I’m used to paying 3 x amount in poxy 20m spools. I’ve taken a punt and ordered a spool. Cheers for the link Mike 👍🏻

My pleasure, its good quality and you wont have any problems with it.
Maximising profit is why more bulk spools are not available in the UK, I believe ET one of our sponsors sells AFW in bulk spools.

When specimen angling really got started most good shops stocked spools of various strengths between 10lb and 30lb, small spools mostly Allcocks Alasticum single strand.


.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Richard.
Roach
Roach
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Dec 14 2020 18:03

Re: Trace wire

Post by Richard. » Sat Feb 27 2021 23:42

Mike J wrote:
Richard. wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Masons 45lb 7strand for me.
Not Chinese but made in the USA, easily available from Veals and a 200m bulk spool doesn't cost a fortune.
No crimps needed, it twists up really tight and can be straightened in the fingers if its not kinked, 7 fish is my highest on one leader.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/mason- ... e-136.html

.
Been looking for a decent 40lb 7 strand for ages. 28quid for 600’ is a bargain. I’m used to paying 3 x amount in poxy 20m spools. I’ve taken a punt and ordered a spool. Cheers for the link Mike 👍🏻

My pleasure, its good quality and you wont have any problems with it.
Maximising profit is why more bulk spools are not available in the UK, I believe ET one of our sponsors sells AFW in bulk spools.

When specimen angling really got started most good shops stocked spools of various strengths between 10lb and 30lb, small spools mostly Allcocks Alasticum single strand.


.
Just made up a few traces with the new masons wire. Very nice wire to work with particularly the lower treble which I tie on. The wire is more supple than the drennan stuff I usually buy making it far neater as my raps stay very tight round the shank. Twists really nicely. I’ll be sticking with it. Let’s see how it fairs after a few teeth have been chewing on it.
A9333242-C6BC-40C1-ABA7-811C736A237A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mike J » Sun Feb 28 2021 10:41

Richard. wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Richard. wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Masons 45lb 7strand for me.
Not Chinese but made in the USA, easily available from Veals and a 200m bulk spool doesn't cost a fortune.
No crimps needed, it twists up really tight and can be straightened in the fingers if its not kinked, 7 fish is my highest on one leader.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/mason- ... e-136.html

.
Been looking for a decent 40lb 7 strand for ages. 28quid for 600’ is a bargain. I’m used to paying 3 x amount in poxy 20m spools. I’ve taken a punt and ordered a spool. Cheers for the link Mike 👍🏻

My pleasure, its good quality and you wont have any problems with it.
Maximising profit is why more bulk spools are not available in the UK, I believe ET one of our sponsors sells AFW in bulk spools.

When specimen angling really got started most good shops stocked spools of various strengths between 10lb and 30lb, small spools mostly Allcocks Alasticum single strand.


.
Just made up a few traces with the new masons wire. Very nice wire to work with particularly the lower treble which I tie on. The wire is more supple than the drennan stuff I usually buy making it far neater as my raps stay very tight round the shank. Twists really nicely. I’ll be sticking with it. Let’s see how it fairs after a few teeth have been chewing on it. A9333242-C6BC-40C1-ABA7-811C736A237A.jpeg

You will have no problems with it Richard.
I can see from your pic you know what your doing :grin:
My top hooks are singles, to stop the wire from slipping I add heat shrink, it grips well with just five turns.

All we need now is the fishing.

.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

User avatar
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3886
Joined: Tue Aug 30 2011 05:00
Location: Essex/Herts

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mark Phillips » Fri Mar 19 2021 11:41

Word to the wise... do not add heat shrink to traces made from stranded stainless wire - water gets inside and will rust the wire as the trace is stored - then it snaps under pressure next time you catch a fish on it.
Piking Plonker

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mike J » Fri Mar 19 2021 12:01

Mark Phillips wrote:
Word to the wise... do not add heat shrink to traces made from stranded stainless wire - water gets inside and will rust the wire as the trace is stored - then it snaps under pressure next time you catch a fish on it.

Agreed Mark.
That is why I would only advise the use of glue lined heat shrink.

.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

User avatar
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3886
Joined: Tue Aug 30 2011 05:00
Location: Essex/Herts

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mark Phillips » Sat Mar 20 2021 20:31

Thanks Mike, you should have said :thumbs: I've tried adhesive lined shrink tube (carp rigs) and the issue I had was when I want to removed it, it doesn't shift, so have to bin the swivel it's attached to. I did consider it for traces, to tidy things up, but again, I'd be binning hooks instead of re-using them. Just me being tight I guess :red:
Piking Plonker

JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Oct 25 2019 11:29

Re: Trace wire

Post by JohnCopeman » Sun Apr 04 2021 10:37

I actually bought some 200lb coated stainless from local shop cheap- 70p including crimps...such a bargain a bought two.
I used it strung just above the garden fence to keep the pigeons off....less than a year it is showing rust inside the coating.

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Trace wire

Post by Mike J » Sun Apr 04 2021 11:12

JohnCopeman wrote:
I actually bought some 200lb coated stainless from local shop cheap- 70p including crimps...such a bargain a bought two.
I used it strung just above the garden fence to keep the pigeons off....less than a year it is showing rust inside the coating.


Should have used old braid, its what I used, initially to stop a cat jumping the fence what a shock when the cat it didnt see it before it bounced it back where it came from :grin:
The birds soon wised up, the pigeons sat on the post caps, the spadges learnt to keep their heads low.

.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Post Reply